RUMOR- (IGN) Devs say 3DS close to PS3/360 specs

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by granville, Jun 5, 2010.

1. granville
    OP

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    Here's a brand new Nintendo 3DS rumor to get your excitement for E3 going. Or maybe just to crush your dreams when it turns out to be fake, which i'm willing to stake my reputation on it being so. Nevertheless, as reported word for word, here we go-

Now this is IGN we're talking about. I find this statement extremely unlikely, like foolishly so. I'm going to go ahead and say i don't believe this for a single second. I'm honestly sick of all the misinformation and rumors we've got spreading around about the 3DS. This seems another one of them, from IGN no less. If they turn out to be right, i will gain a new found respect for IGNorant. If not, well lets just say i won't be surprised and their IGNorance stands clearer than ever...

I'm not one to deal in absolutes by saying "so and so" is completely untrue without some sort of proof. But really IGN? A handheld by Nintendo, more powerful than your current gen console, with capabilities comparable to HD consoles? I'm going to break my rule here and say NOT A CHANCE. This sounds like some little graphics whore kid's wet dream venting or something. If it turns out to be true, i will admit i'm wrong and never bash IGN or make hasty assumptions again. But i honestly think this is complete bollocks. [​IMG]

So unless you're very naive (which i mean in the nicest way possible), i assume i don't have to point out RUMOR OMG RUMOR, TAKE LARGE TABLESPOONS OF SALT!!!
    It still stands that we know absolutely NOTHING about the processing power of the 3DS. Tegra rumors are still rumors, this is a rumor, everything you've heard about tech specs are rumors. For all we know, the system might just be Dreamcast caliber, more or less, whatever.
    http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=125964

2. naglaro00

Member naglaro00 Mildly disturbed

Philippines
    omg omg omg

too much for a handheld

3. BoxShot

Member BoxShot Chiyo-chan :3

United States
    I'm so calling BS on this! Seriously 360/PS3 levels on a handheld? ... If true I'm guessing battery life is 1hr. [​IMG]

4. fgghjjkll

Member fgghjjkll GBATemp MegaMan

Australia
    And i'm guessing the price will be well above the PSP2 price. A first for Nintendo. Their handhelds and consoles have always been cheap [​IMG]

5. zeromac

Member zeromac Finally reached 1000 posts EXACTLY

Australia
    Can't wait for the 3DS at E3 to see if this is true

3DS is going to a first week purchase for me definatly [​IMG]
    I'm even going to trade in my DSL to discount the price since i feel we're leaving the whole 'DS platform' but it will be good to see 3DS having DS backwards compatiblity anyways so it'll be good trading in my DSL for a 3DS [​IMG]

6. Chamillionaire

Member Chamillionaire GBAtemp Regular

Germany
  7. Njrg

Banned Njrg Kinsoku Jikou Desu. ^.~

United States
    I call fake on this.

Nintendo are known for "quality" and at the same time known for "half-assery"

They're going to created something amazing that's going to be borderline obsolete before its even in my hands.

In no way is Nin10doh going to create a hand held that is closer to 360 than their Wii is.

8. granville
    OP

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    I suggest people here that see this avoid spreading this around since we don't know how true it is. There are too many rumors already and if the 3DS doesn't meet the high expectations, people will end up being pissed. I'm kind of unsure if i should have even made this topic too...

Nintendo also learned long ago not to give a shit about technical power. Now they just make whatever is cheap and sells really well. And i doubt a "PS3 portable" is either cost effective for them, nor would it turn profits at the high price they'd have to set for it. Plus it would drain batteries like lightning.

9. Range-TE

Member Range-TE GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Indonesia
    stronger than the wii?
    on ps3/360 level?

nah,
    i'm predicting Gamecube level graphics (and that's already good enough for me)
    if this is true and nintendo have found a way to keep their prices low (around 200$) then i would be so fuckin amazed

10. Nah3DS

Member Nah3DS Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!

Argentina
    Maybe... I say MAYBE this "unbelievable" processing capabilities are used only to render the 3D graphics. That doesn’t mean at all that we could enjoy PS3/360 HD graphics in this upcoming handheld.

Anyway... remember this:
    Gameboy----------------------------NES
    Gameboy Advance-----------------SNES
    Nintendo DS-------------------------N64 (almost)
    Nintendo 3DS-----------------------???? (figure out yourself)

11. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    yeah right [​IMG]

Rumors will always be rumors i suppose

:/

12. TM2-Megatron

Member TM2-Megatron Predacon Commander

Canada
    I'd like for this to be true, as it would be awesome to have a portable system from Nintendo with that kind of power (I could care less if the PSP2 had it, though)... and while the 360 will be 5 years old when the 3DS comes out, and the Wii/PS3 both 4 years, I don't think that's quite enough time for the hardware necessary to pull off the power of any of them (at least for the PS3 and 360) in a handheld while remaining cost-effective.

That said, I'd love it if this were true. Also, it seems foolish for IGN (whatever you may think of them, it's still a relatively large site) to release such an unbelievable rumour unless they have some good reason for thinking it's true.

Whatever the case, I'm now not going to be surprised if the 3DS does feature Gamecube-level power, anyway. In all honesty, a portable Gamecube seems like enough power for a handheld system at this point in time... though I wouldn't say no to a 3DS that was somewhere between the Wii and 360. The article only says the rumour is that it's better than the Wii, and who knows what the person who said this considers "close to" the power of a 360/PS3. Maybe they only mean mid-range between the Wii and 360.

13. syko5150

Member syko5150 GBAtemp Syko!

United States
    lol with this it would be
    Nintendo 3DS-------------------Gamecube
    Future Nintendo Handheld-----------------Wii

lol

14. Chanser

Member Chanser :o

Macau
    I heard the 3DS is a transformer in disguise. [​IMG]

Anyway Nintendo first priority is the technology cheap enough to produce.

15. dudereno

Member dudereno GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The 3DS will be a undoubted success. Even using the whithered technology philosophy. Its been roughly 5 years since the launch of the original DS. During that time period, the trickle down effect of tech kit/price has been substantial. If they use a bog standard Tegra chip, the clockrate jump will be huge. Add to this a RAM increase from the original 4megs to say a conservative guessimate of 64meg.

HD visuals might be a tall order but surely this will be constrained by the LCD resolution given the size of the screens. But considering what has been achieved on the DS so far in terms of excellent software, Dementium 2, Trackmania, MariokartDS etc. I have high hopes for the 3DS as long as it is supported by talented Devs like Intelligent systems, Firebrand, Renegade kid, Atlus..etc etc..

16. thebsharp

Newcomer thebsharp Why'd you have to go and Gunt my fries?

United States
    Well, I do believe that it'll get a significant boost in power, just for the reason it's going to be 3D. Not only does it need the added horsepower to improve the graphics like everyone demands of Nintendo, but it may also need to produce said graphics twice to create the 3D effect (depending on what route Nintendo takes for that).

Lots of horsepower under the hood definitely doesn't have to translate into HD graphics.

17. TM2-Megatron

Canada
    HD gaming on a 3.x" screen would be pointless, whatever kind of processing power it has. Anyway, the parallax barrier touchscreens being manufactured by Sharp that are rumoured to be used in the 3DS come in 854x480 resolution, which would about match the Wii's 480p output. Even that resolution is a massive jump from the DS, and still quite a big leap beyond the PSP.

Whatever the 3DS' processing power is used for (however much it ends up having), undoubtedly some of it will be to render the images required for the stereoscopic effect. If both screens are parallax barrier, then it'll need to produce 4... if only one is 3-D it'll still need to put out 3. Hopefully both screens are touch, though.

18. Theraima

Member Theraima I own this desert, bitches!

Finland
    Wat.

No way Ninty is building abomination like that, I wont buy a box with two screens [​IMG]

But even if it would be even close to PS3/360 specs, that's awesome. Tho the battery's lifespan is a whole another thing.

19. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    I don't understand why people are thinking this may be true...

consoles as big as a 360 and a PS3 in handheld >?

HIGHLY DOUBT THAT IS POSSIBLE

we haven't exactly have come close to minimizing the PS2 into a handheld let alone a PS3 or 360.

unless Nintendo have found some super cheap, yet powerful "element" that has helped them to do so then it's a completely different thing

still, complete bull shit if you ask me

20. TM2-Megatron

Canada
    That wouldn't exactly be challenging at this point in time. The only reason it hasn't been done is because a new handheld generation hasn't been released for 6 years.