RPG Shooter: Starwish

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Rydian, Jun 14, 2011.

Jun 14, 2011

RPG Shooter: Starwish by Rydian at 5:47 AM (1,538 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. Rydian
    OP

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    http://armorgames.com/play/11726/rpg-shooter-starwish

First off: the gameplay sucks.

It's the presentation and story that caught my interest. This game tries a little too hard at times and a lot of it's got a generic base, but damn there's a lot of effort put into the character interactions, flavor all over the place, and I love that. I play the levels just to get to the next cutscene.

2. I2aven's_Sag

Member I2aven's_Sag GBATemp Otaku

United States
    This has an incredibly long campaign.
    Still going... anyway.

I'm playing on normal difficulty and towards the end... but it's getting like incredibly hard to even make it to some of the bosses.
    There's just so much firepower that it's hard (nearly impossible at times) to dodge, and they're limiting movement, placing obstacles. I'm around level 65 Deuce wise.
    By the way, the narrative at the end is simply Superb

Just beat it, it took me upwards of level 70. Towards the later level the hard part of the game tends to begin. I'm used to shooters from when
    I was younger that had no borders/edges (bumping into them damages you) and so on, yeah, I died several times because I couldn't clear a small
    area just to advance. The management of the modules can be really tricky too. There's usually a certain weapon that works really nicely on particular bosses
    so that's good to keep in mind.

It's not particulary "hard", but if you're having trouble you pretty much have to grind on a previous stage to build up module points/statistics. I really enjoyed
    getting to know all the different weapon types, though, I liked the characters more. There are several endings apparently, so that's always worth a re-play.
    Hope it's based on the dating sim.

One thing worth mentioning in the boss battles is that they're pretty much all recycled 90%, but there is a 10% element towards the end that throws a wrench into any
    strategy that you come up with. Overall, it's one of the best flash-shooters I've played in a long time for the narrative/RPG elements, but I'm going to take my time from now on

3. Rydian
    OP

United States
    I only got up to the second map before heading off to sleep, so I'm not nearly that far in... but yeah, it's a lot longer than I expected it to be.

4. Nujui

Member Nujui I need something to do.

United States
    I wouldn't say the gameplay sucks, it feels...bland.

5. I2aven's_Sag

United States
    Yeah, it's just pretty bland. I wouldn't say it sucks, it's more of a tribute to classic shooters with some original RPG elements.

6. Waflix

Member Waflix El Psy Congroo

Netherlands
    I would say it sucks. The controls are confusing, and sometimes don't make any sense. I stopped within a few minutes.

7. Rydian
    OP

United States
    WSAD to move, click to shoot?
    1/2/3/4/5 to change weapons?

Pretty standard to me.

8. I2aven's_Sag

United States
    Shrug, I just used WSAD and my spacebar to shoot. You could also switch weapons just by clicking with your mouse (Which you use to fire) anyway. I'm not sure it could get any easier.

9. Rydian
    OP

United States
    Man, I'm stuck. After the first level (gravstone fields) of map 3 I can't go anywhere. I can't manage to beat the other two maps, and I've leveled up a few times and changed my equipment. The new weapon that shoots through walls really helps (as in now I can get about 1/2-3/4ths of the way through a level) but I just can't pull it off. Sudden difficulty increase in the level layout... if it wasn't for that I wouldn't have as much trouble.

EDIT: Upgrading/finding the weapons that shoot through walls helped. Beat it, didn't get any special ending.

Looked up the special endings on youtube, all of them made me cry.

Especially J's.

10. Chhotu uttam

Member Chhotu uttam DOH HO HO HO

India
    So i ended up sometime playing with this game.
    I must really say this game is too long.
    BTW I'm at 2nd map [​IMG]
    It's kinda interesting and time-passing game

11. Rydian
    OP

United States
    Yeah, I normally wouldn't think of a flash game as taking three days to beat.

12. Nujui

Member Nujui I need something to do.

United States
    I guess they wanted to go all out on the RPG aspect if it's taking you that long.

13. Rydian
    OP

United States
    It's more of a visual novel, but it's great.

I mean it gets kinda' stupid near the end, but it's sweet.

14. I2aven's_Sag

United States
    To be fair, when I beat it I stayed up pretty much 3/4ths of the night playing, since I really don't have much of anything to do at this point in the summer. I just beat 95% of Torchlight on easy today, (last 5% I cheated my way through, lol... Fun games none the less.

I didn't watch the special-endings, and with the Torchlight-Headache I'm sporting right now, all I really want to do is take some advil. I think I started a newgame+ at some point, not all that far in. The weapons carried over, but it's a little irritating not having all the weapons for variety again. I was right about mare being well mare. But yeah, level 50-60 weapons and so on.

If I manage to have anymore time tomorrow/weekend I'm going to start Beyond Good & Evil. (Bought Torchlight & Beyond Good & Evil off D2D).