Rough docking of Switch (DEFINITIVE PROOF)

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Mr. Wizard, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Mr. Wizard
    OP

Mr. Wizard Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time

Mar 20, 2015
    Canada
    10th Dimension
    Here is your proof! Most likely a couple people have had issues but the rest of the 99% of us should not be scared to dock the switch even when the dock looks as bent as mine do. I was wary of docking it myself but said piss on it, going to see if it's an issue with mine once and for all instead of not using the dock.

I've been docking like this for a week and my switch is spotless. The worst damage seems to be from oily fingerprints and smudges from the rubber feet, but those easily buff out with a soft cloth.

Hopefully everyone can now start using and enjoying their Switch as it was intended.

The after math, dusty but not one scratch!

What my dock looks like:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oh and for all the lame comments that will undoubtedly ensue, sorry I'm not feeding the trolls today...

[​IMG]

Last edited by Mr. Wizard, Mar 11, 2017
  2. Haymose

Haymose GBAtemp Fan

Mar 24, 2014
    United States
    I thought I had a scratch but it also wiped off with a nice fiber cloth. This dock thing was made into a huge non existent issue.

Edit:
    You may want to do this in all one continuos shot. Commenters will suggest the Aftermath Switch is a different unit than the tested one.

Last edited by Haymose, Mar 11, 2017
    natinusala likes this.
  3. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    Unless you have 100 switches to do a test what you are showing is pointless

iAqua, Link., Daggot and 3 others like this.
  4. StarGazerTom

StarGazerTom GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 2, 2015
    since people were complaining about scratches, I just grabbed some cloth for cleaning glasses, cut it to size, and blu-tacked it into the switch doc to protect the screen from scratches. Perfect solution and only cost about 1€

5. Mr. Wizard
    OP

Mar 20, 2015
    Canada
    10th Dimension
    I didn't make this video for "those" people, I couldn't give 2 shits about them. I made this for the intelligent people who are afraid to use their dock because of all the negative hype. Take it for what it is, believe it or not, personally I do not care. I will now go enjoy my Switch in it's dock the way it was intended to be used. Thank you very much, have a nice day.

6. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein Professional asshole at GBATemp

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    Mine has not one scratch, but I will still be careful until I put some screen protector on it.
    PS: On the other hand, and I will stress this point until it's fixed, the left joycon synching problems are driving me crazy.

Last edited by sarkwalvein, Mar 11, 2017
  7. Mr. Wizard
    OP

Mar 20, 2015
    Canada
    10th Dimension
    I had that problem but it has been miraculously fixed, no more issues here. I do not know what I did to fix it but it was one of these 3 things for sure.

Have you tried rebooting (power off) several times or rotating the dock slightly so it maybe picks up the signal better? The only other thing I have done is used a pro controller then the joycons then the pro controller then the joycons and each time it asks me to press L + R when I change controllers.

It will be interesting to see all the screens getting damaged from the screen protector adhesives. I have not applied mine for that reason, I'm unsure if it's safe or not being a plastic screen on the Switch, and plastics do not react well to the VOCs in adhesives. Just look what happened to the Switches that used skins and have been damaged already.

http://nintendoeverything.com/adhesive-backed-skins-damage-switch-joy-con-and-system-coating/

8. sarkwalvein

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    I am going now to get a Pro controller, later I will try if switching it and the joycons solves the problem for me.
    Regarding the films, I don't know, but the screen plastic looks quite normal, I don't think it will get damaged.

9. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Gambia, The
    do modern screen protectors even use adhesives anymore?

10. Mr. Wizard
    OP

Mar 20, 2015
    Canada
    10th Dimension
    The tempered glass ones do which is what I bought.

Edit:
    http://orzly.com/0-24mm-tempered-glass-screen-protector-for-nintendo-switch.html

11. Haymose

Haymose GBAtemp Fan

Mar 24, 2014
    United States
    Woah I'm not sure what part of my comment came off as an attack. I was just making a suggestion to save you some headaches but clearly you enjoy the confrontation so cool man you're all set.

12. Wiisel

Wiisel GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 4, 2008
    The only thing touching the screen on mine is the rubbers that leave scuffs/marks I've not tried buffing them out yet tho. This has literally been removed four times with the fourth being to take the pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. WeedZ

WeedZ Possibly an enlightened being

GBAtemp Patron
    WeedZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 13, 2015
    United States
    That's some sound research with your sample size of one.

14. Stercate79

Stercate79 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 25, 2016
    United States
    Amazing, your unit is not defective!

15. Mr. Wizard
    OP

Mar 20, 2015
    Canada
    10th Dimension
    That's the straightest dock I've ever seen for the Switch yet!

I have had the best luck rubbing the scuffs off with my finger then buffing the finger prints off with a shammy. Works great!

16. Thomas83Lin

Thomas83Lin Retro Gamer

Jul 22, 2009
    United States
    This is a odd thread, are you saying the people claiming docking scratches are lying. Surely this isn't another thread of "Its not happening to me, so its not possible."

17. sarkwalvein

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    @Mr. Wizard , regarding the joycon issue miracle fix I think you are on the money.
    I bought a Pro Controller, synched it to the console. Then disconnected all controller from the console, then resynched all controllers to the console.
    After this the left joycon that was having problems minutes before, has been working flawlessly for the last hour.
    I don't know exactly what part of the process fixed it, but I think I will post this around anyway.

Mr. Wizard likes this.
  18. Mr. Wizard
    OP

Mar 20, 2015
    Canada
    10th Dimension
    Glad it worked!

Last edited by Mr. Wizard, Mar 12, 2017
  19. Futurdreamz

Futurdreamz GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada
    I think many people are failing to make the distinction between actual scratches and grease marks. You're handling the thing all the time, so you're bound to get fingerprint residue on it which then is smeared by the alignment tabs. And even if you avoid touching the screen, the plastic part below the screen could be dirty or something, and upon insert it leaves some residue on the alignment tabs which is then spread onto the screen. Anoyying if you let it bother you, but not a problem.

I really think you don't have to worry that much about the screen... As long as it's a hardfer grade of plastic than the dock's tabs they cannot scratch it - however they cannot go with felt or a very soft material for the tabs as otherwise it dirt particles like silicate would imbed themselves in it - and that WILL scratch the screen. I sincerely believe that everyone worrying about this and putting in little microfiber tabs and such are actually making their system more likely to scratch, not less.

da1e85 likes this.
  20. g00s3y

g00s3y GBAtemp Regular

Aug 6, 2008
    United States
    Of course it's possible. It's also highly possible that most people who have "problems" are creating their own, and don't know how to handle electronics carefully. Probably a lot of children on here who just throw the thing around, or people who think it has gorilla glass on the front.