roms with virus

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by l00cipher, May 18, 2009.

May 18, 2009

roms with virus by l00cipher at 3:26 AM (812 Views / 0 Likes) 3 replies

1. l00cipher
    OP

Newcomer l00cipher Newbie

United States
    hello all,
    i'm about to order myself a cyclone evo, but my question is this. are there roms out there that could mess up your ds permanently? and if so, is this a frequent issue?

thank you
    l00

2. iwakura

Member iwakura HHNNNNNNGGGG

United States
    nope! no roms can damage your cyclo, let alone your DS.

I think like, 4 years ago there was, but it's nonexistant nowadays

3. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    There have been two .nds files that "brick" your DS. The first was called "r0mloader" to catch pirates, and the second was claiming to be a Hentai slideshow viewer. I'm pretty sure neither were ever properly released publicly, certainly the r0mloader one was only released in a private IRC, and that was a long time ago. Of you're really worried you could check the filesize and MD5 checksum of every homebrew you download, or you could flash your DS, which adds recovery code in case of a brick, but none of that is really necessary because I highly doubt that you will come across a bricker in the open. Side note: Coincidently, the guy who wrote the first r0mloader bricker, was Darkfader, the first guy to hack the DS and dump a DS game, but then he got annoyed at pirates.

4. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    none are really out in the wild, as long as you download from a romsite you should be fine. I think most anti virus softwares will recognize them too.