Rom sizes

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by inuyasha555, Oct 18, 2013.

1. inuyasha555
    OP

inuyasha555 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 10, 2013
    Canada
    I'm pretty confused now as this makes no sense.

I'm going to use Mario and Luigi Dream Team Bros as an example. The NFO that came with it states that the game is 8GB: [​IMG]

Yet the size of the rom is only 1GB: [​IMG]

I tested it and it seems to work but why is it only 1GB if it's supposed to be 8?

2. Vengenceonu

Vengenceonu Revenge is beneath me but accidents do happen.

Jun 20, 2013
    United States
    The C Standard Library
    They are 2 completely different units

the Gbit = GigaBit
    the GB = GigaByte

1GB = 8Gbit

3. PercentSevenC

PercentSevenC Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    Bits and bytes. Learn the difference.

4. youra6

youra6 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 10, 2013
    United States
    He probably just overlooked it. No need to be preachy.

Just a FYI, most 3ds games are going to be in that 1-2GB range. I don't think there ever will be a 3Ds game that is over 8 GB in size.

5. inuyasha555
    OP

Oct 10, 2013
    Canada
    I knew it would be something dumb like that. -.- Why can't people just learn to use one or the other...

Yeah, I overlooked it. I've see the two before but being that everything is usually measured in GB and like nothing in Gbits I just went straight to gigabytes.

6. banjojohn

banjojohn Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 17, 2007
    Eh, internet speed is measured in bits. I wouldn't say that it is "like nothing". Many things have to be in bits and not bytes; like IP addresses for instance.

7. inuyasha555
    OP

Oct 10, 2013
    Canada
    Internet speed seems more like a gimmick to make it seem like you're getting really fast internet but in reality it isn't.

Most things like file sizes, HDD space all measured in GB, it's used a lot more in daily life.

Yeah well I have no answer now. I was going crazy when I saw some games are 32Gbits thinking it was 32GB...

8. banjojohn

banjojohn Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 17, 2007
    Yes, most things for certain are. My point was that there's a difference and there is a reason not everything is in bytes.

9. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    You think it is not a gimmick that became tradition here?

I would be careful using hard drives as an example - they deliberately use 1000 rather than 1024 as the multiple (see IEC byte units or mebibytes if you want a slightly better search term).

As for the max. I am not sure, obviously it is near infinite if they decide to bring back bankswitching or use some form of sector/offset addressing but 3dbrew is rather lacking on any specifics in terms of where size markers might be and how many bits they have to address with.

10. Vipera

Vipera Banned

Banned
    Aug 22, 2013
    United States
    Away from this shithole
    You are using a 3DS, therefore the correct measurement is 4096 Nintendo Blocks :D

IronClouds likes this.
  11. Huntereb

Huntereb GBAtemp Addict

Sep 1, 2013
    United States
    I sometimes think ISP's use Gb's to trick consumers into thinking they have "Gigabytes" of internet speed, making them think it's much faster than it actually is.

12. justinkb

justinkb GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 7, 2012
    Netherlands
    Time to lock this. Nothing left to say.