Sokonomi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hello Fellow Gamers,

I was wondering, does anyone here use some kind of ROM collection software? I am a fan of collecting games for various consoles, and I would like a convenient way of keeping track of ROM files, though it seems most of the applications I come across are behaving a bit flaky.

DSRO 6.0.2.0;
It has wonderful features like grabbing box art and ingame screenshots, along with compressing and trimming features, though it does not handle adding new ROMs to a large collection very well (Queue list seems to cram up all the time, doesn't delete source files after adding or compressing).

DSFCC;
Another one, seems to have nice features but a lacking filtering system is the problem here, plus it doesnt seem to have a list of ROMs that are missing from your collection. And the only download source I could find was outdated with dead links so I cant try it even if I wanted to..

Offline List;
This one is apparently popular, but it doesn't seem to have a "missing ROM" list, same as DSFCC?

Long story short; What do you use to keep track of a collection of NDS games?

lafleche

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I use Offline List as it is fast, new roms are added with a single push on the F5 button, the option (in beta) to add duplicate roms in one zip file but most important : it is 100% datfile driven. You can even make your own datfile and it will work in offlinelist

I love the more details and functions in DSRO but i feel the interface is far to difficult, I still haven't found out how to re-add ROMS or re-adding after moving a directory of roms
and above all : It only seems to support a fixed set of datfiles.

As I don't need my rom manager to manage the transfer to sd-cards I will keep on using offlinelist.
The only thing a like to see working is the 'Have it' plugin (don't know exactly how it is called). It sometimes works but not with all datfiles. Can't seem to find the sourccode.

Sokonomi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I like to have the trim-and-transfer feature (I miss rominator), but I guess I could do that manually.
But apparently Offline List doesn't have a missing ROMs feature?

And im also wondering now, whats the point of duplicates? Do you mean EU/US/JP releases?

EDIT
Ive fired up Offline List, but it seems to be a bit flaky..
Pictures wont show and the numbering is off.
Am I using a botched up DAT file or something?

I just want a program that shows all games by release number, with the ability to filter out all games that do not offer English, and maybe even the ability to filter out region duplicates. Any program out there that can do this?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Numbers are not standard and certainly not a Scene standard, any site that wanted to have their own could. As they tended to follow release dates they were the same. As various things got numbered and various things did not and that varied between sites (some sites did not include the web browser, some sites did not include the club Nintendo game and watch stuff, others accepted redumps where others were ignored, others nuked ones that others did not, some started new numbers for DSi games.....). Now a lot of people did follow the numbering scheme of another site, pocketheaven numbering probably being the most common.
There are various offline list dats, not sure what one you are using. http://www.advanscene.com/ has the one most use, http://datomatic.no-intro.org/index.php?page=download did have some but I am not seeing it right now.

Regarding offline list.
It does have a missing ROM option.

Offline list should just about be able to do what you want, certainly as far as English only. The region dupe filter was a bit dodgy last time I looked though and filtered by release number so you could end up filtering out something you wanted (if a Japanese release hit first and you turned off region dupes it would then filter the subsequent English release).

Also it has been a while since I played with it but the old rominator stuff was in a sqlite database which you could probably fire off a nicely constructed query at using a sqlite query tool.

I do have to mention quite a few Japanese puzzle games technically only had Japanese but had simple enough menus or enough English in them that people could manage easily. GG Series collection being a good example.

Sokonomi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Are you sure ROMs don't have their own specific number tagged on by Nintendo or something?
DSRO seems to make a big point of it, giving you the option to show both "ROM number" and "Scene number".
If there's really no definitive number for each game, then that's gonna make collecting a whole lot more old school.

Ive grabbed the first DAT I could find, which was indeed the one from advanscene,
which apparently uses a different numbering sequence from the majority of ROM sites..

Offline List sadly can only filter one language at a time, DSRO seems to allow you to select several languages.
For someone like me whom speaks dutch as a mother language that feature is quite handy.
And its true, some japanese games don't suffer from the language barrier as much.
Taiko no Tatsujin was awesome!
ABAUgbf.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What Nintendo puts in or makes sure is in ROMs
http://nocash.emubase.de/gbatek.htm#dscartridgeheader (give or take a minor tweak for the post DSi whitelisted games).

Numbers are an invention of websites and/or dat(abase) people. I am not sure where they first appeared from, I imagine someone left it in a spreadsheet or accidentally displayed the primary key for their database. It is also fairly well known many in the Scene proper are none too happy with people numbering releases.

As for languages. For something like Dutch that has all of 700 odd releases, most of which being kids games, the 900 iterations each puzzle game put out and shovelware, I imagine you could fairly easily scroll up a couple of times.
I can see how it is not ideal though and some games I had not expected got Dutch translations in the quick search I made.

Sokonomi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Oh interesting bit about the header, hmm no obvious hook apart from the game title and maybe gamecode.
So DSRO takes pride in displaying not only one, but two completely made up numbering lists..
The thing is though, the advanscene number list seems to mismatch with most ROM offerings,
so using that list might be a bit of a pain to fill up. I don't suppose there are recent DAT files with "conventional" numbers?
Or else im gonna have to keep fiddling with this increasingly annoying DSRO app..

And haha you are sadly correct about the dutch titles mainly being shovelware (How many horse games does a console need??),
or painfully translated versions of English games to get in on the young'ins who cant read English yet.
And I prefer English anyway, easier to google when you hit a snag!
Some dutch word games might be a bit of a loss though..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)