ROM file exporter?

Discussion in 'GBA - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Gameboy MAX, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Gameboy MAX
    OP

Gameboy MAX Member

Newcomer
    Apr 6, 2013
    United States
    Is there a program out there, that can take a GBA rom and export (or extract) all of the files, (sound, bmp, text files,) for easy editing, and then take those edited files and import them back into the rom? I am getting tired of all of these graphics programs not working. I just want to remove the files and edit them myself and then place them back in.

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    We do have a GBA ROM hacking section you know
    http://gbatemp.net/forums/gba-game-development-rom-hacks-and-translations.11/

Have you see the DS, PSP, Wii (basically everything that runs from a disc or was made after the N64) and want something similar? If so unless you plan on hacking GBA homebrew then no -- commercial gba games bundled everything into the ROM and you get to pick through it.
    Some games (usually pokemon, advance wars, mario titles or fire emblem) will be reverse engineered to such an extent as to allow it to happen but most of the time you get to do it yourself.
    Likewise there are advanced techniques to find what you want (I linked it in your other thread but have it again http://www.romhacking.net/documents/361/ ) and some easier but less reliable techniques aimed at the same. The hacking docs linked in my signature cover a lot of this.

3. Darkipod

Darkipod SELL ME GBA FLASH CART

Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    Central FL USA
    RomHacking.net has been around for a long time, you should really search around there for more info on this kind of thing, but from what I know (not much), you can't treat GBA games like a .rar or something.

4. diegoisawesome

diegoisawesome Member

Newcomer
    Dec 22, 2008
    United States
    If you're thinking of doing it like the DS Nitro FS, then you're out of luck. The GBA has no such filesystem.