OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
PCB replaced. Besides the minor issue that the JoyCon now appears blue instead of red in menus, everything works great again. All buttons work and the controller connects in both modes. Thanks for the help everyone!

Winnppl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Atlas_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi!

For some reason my right Joy-Con won't connect to my Switch in handheld mode anymore. The controller is always in wireless mode even when attached to the Switch. Charging still works, since the charging icon is displayed in the controller settings.

I've tried resyncing the controllers, restarting the console and cleaning the contacts on both the Joy-Con and the console. The issue has to be in the Joy-Con as I tested another Joy-Con and it connected fine.

Any ideas what the issue might be?
Howdy! I was just trying to fix the same issue on my sister’s new OLED model switch and I figured out what the problem was (at least for my situation):

After some “diagnostic” messing around with the joy con in question (which was the left one in my case) and other perfectly working joy cons, I deduced it was an issue with the power rail on the joy con itself, the part where it connects electrically to the Switch’s rail. Opening up the joy con (which requires a strange 3-starred bit that I luckily had from customizing my own joy cons) and disconnecting the ribbon cable that connects to the rail connector (so NOT the SL and SR PCB ribbon cable), I noticed there happened to be some corrosion on the solder connections for that same ribbon cable that appeared to be shorting several pins to one another. After using a sharp pin and a small dust brush to carefully clean and electrically isolate each solder connection from each other and then re-assembling carefully, the joy con now works like new.

TL;DR: What worked for me was to disassemble the faulty joy con and to clean the solder joints on the power ribbon cable.

What gets me mad is this joy con was only a week old, how did the pins electrically short in such a short time? Anyways, I know this is years after your original problem but I hope this helps anyone running into the same issue.

Last edited by Atlas_,
Reactions: Kirby567fan

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Yeah, they were going for that.