Hardware Rig Build Question

uberpubert69

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently upgraded my gaming rig and am trying to get as much fps as I can get out of it.
These are my PC specs:

APU: A10 5800k 4.2GHz Quad Core Processor w/intergrated Radeon 7660D GPU
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz 1.5v
PSU: 550W
MotherBoard: GIGABYTE F2A85XM-D3H

I have a NVIDIA GeForce 9800GT Graphics Card just laying around and was wondering if I should put it into my computer? Or is it just too old nowadays?

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you want to boost gaming performance, get faster RAM (1866 & 2133 all helps). There is no point in getting dedicated GPU if you are using APU.

uberpubert69

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want to boost gaming performance, get faster RAM (1866 & 2133 all helps). There is no point in getting dedicated GPU if you are using APU.
The reason I got the APU is because I wanted to have something to hold me over until I could buy a better GPU. I know about the RAM mine actually have heatsinks that wrap around the entire sticks and are easily overclockable (from what I researched about them). I have a bit of a problem when it comes to overclocking btw. My motherboard bios is made for easy overclocking but if I overclock anything even by just 1mhz my bios tells me the OS couldnt boot. Do I have to reset my CMOS or something?

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The reason I got the APU is because I wanted to have something to hold me over until I could buy a better GPU. I know about the RAM mine actually have heatsinks that wrap around the entire sticks and are easily overclockable (from what I researched about them). I have a bit of a problem when it comes to overclocking btw. My motherboard bios is made for easy overclocking but if I overclock anything even by just 1mhz my bios tells me the OS couldnt boot. Do I have to reset my CMOS or something?
Then you should have bought Intel Pentium/Core i3 instead (or FX-43xx with that Nvidia 9800GT). No offense but APU is designed for those who know for sure that they don't need a dedicated GPU. If you are going to spend more money it completely defeats the purpose of APU.

Overclocking varies a lot. When online says this particular RAM is an overclocker they mean that in general, more people have success with overclocking this RAM than those who don't. It does NOT mean you will enjoy the same overclocking success. If you can't get OS booting after boosting voltage to 1.65 V or relax some timing then you have no choice but to run that RAM at stock speed.

uberpubert69

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then you should have bought Intel Pentium/Core i3 instead (or FX-43xx with that Nvidia 9800GT). No offense but APU is designed for those who know for sure that they don't need a dedicated GPU. If you are going to spend more money it completely defeats the purpose of APU.

Overclocking varies a lot. When online says this particular RAM is an overclocker they mean that in general, more people have success with overclocking this RAM than those who don't. It does NOT mean you will enjoy the same overclocking success. If you can't get OS booting after boosting voltage to 1.65 V or relax some timing then you have no choice but to run that RAM at stock speed.

I understand the concept of overclocking, I'm just not really used to messing with it (I've read my motherboards manual). I initially didn't plan on having this 9800GT, it was to be sold to a buddy but is now just sitting here. For the money, I found getting an APU to be a good choice for me newegg had a sweet deal. I didn't have the money to shell out for a CPU, RAM, GPU, and Motherboard(Upgraded from a Dell). So I got the APU to relieve my stressed budget. It was either get an APU or not have a working computer for god knows how long.

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I understand the concept of overclocking, I'm just not really used to messing with it (I've read my motherboards manual). I initially didn't plan on having this 9800GT, it was to be sold to a buddy but is now just sitting here. For the money, I found getting an APU to be a good choice for me newegg had a sweet deal. I didn't have the money to shell out for a CPU, RAM, GPU, and Motherboard(Upgraded from a Dell). So I got the APU to relieve my stressed budget. It was either get an APU or not have a working computer for god knows how long.
You know, I'm more concerned about what PSU you are using right now. Also tell me what RAM stick is it.

Reactions: uberpubert69

uberpubert69

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, try this overclocking settings,

1866 @ 11-11-11-28-2N @ 1.6 V.

This is a very loosen overclocking settings. Make sure XMP is turned on.
One thing I forgot to mention is that the RAM is underclocked at ~1400mhz. I will try those settings and get back to you on the results.

EDIT: I was able to boot my PC and the overclock seems to work. But I used CPUZ and it tells me my RAM is at 1500Mhz now instead of 1333. not 1866... Was also unable to turn on the XMP setting.

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
One thing I forgot to mention is that the RAM is underclocked at ~1400mhz. I will try those settings and get back to you on the results.

EDIT: I was able to boot my PC and the overclock seems to work. But I used CPUZ and it tells me my RAM is at 1500Mhz now instead of 1333. not 1866... Was also unable to turn on the XMP setting.
Upload the screenshot of CPU-Z.

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
That's normal. Did you see that DRAM frequency 931.6 MHz? Since you are in dual channel that frequency is halved.

In other words, 931.6 MHz x 2 = 1863.2 MHz. The RAM is working in 1866 configuration.

Next step would be to ensure that memory is stable. Burn memtest86 on to a CD and boot into it. Let it run for 24 hours (obviously you can't use your PC during stress time so plan ahead).

Reactions: uberpubert69

uberpubert69

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's normal. Did you see that DRAM frequency 931.6 MHz? Since you are in dual channel that frequency is halved.

In other words, 931.6 MHz x 2 = 1863.2 MHz. The RAM is working in 1866 configuration.

Next step would be to ensure that memory is stable. Burn memtest86 on to a CD and boot into it. Let it run for 24 hours (obviously you can't use your PC during stress time so plan ahead).
The RAM seems to be stable. Thank you very much for the help!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    pff\
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    You're a gaslighting narcissist. Everyone out to get you. You wont get professional help because you'll just chalk up their diagnosis as another conspiracy out to get you.
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    leave me alone, I'm not going to engage with you anymore, bye
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    Motherfucker I was checked by a psychiatrist and there's nothing wrong with me
    okay. Bye. Thought you were leaving anyway. Why are you still around? You already said goodbye to everyone here.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    so stop spurting your nonsense
    lol. liar.
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    knock it off now, both of you
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yea you're just a mean bully
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    he SHOULD
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    and NOW
    liar, loudmouth, cussing and swearing, all angry
    ok. sorry. ill stop now. promise
    Sooo. How about Dune part 1 & 2? The cinematography is fantastic, but thats some of the most boring ass sci-fi Ive seen in my life.
    haven't seen both
    Im going to see the new Godzilla next week. Sure they aren't some cinematic masterpieces but the last few were all really great and fun popcorn flicks to see on the big screen.
    can't remember the last time I went to the cinemas
    Me neither, not precisely. I think the last one I went to was Top Gun Maverick
    Oh. Wait. I took my mom to see Elvis. I think that was the last time I went. I'll most likely see the new Planet of the Apes in a theater too.
    +1
    @DinohScene Can you please delete my comment here? I cant edit since it'
    ..since it's locked and I really dont want to be a part of their attention seeking nonsense any longer.
    Thank you
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @RedColoredStars, Hey there! :)