Ridiculous Surround Sound Problems

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Schewe, Nov 15, 2014.

1. Schewe
    OP

Schewe Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 15, 2014
    United States
    At this point I don't even expect a solution to this problem, I guess I just want to have some reassurance that I'm not the only one experiencing it.

I have an LPCM capable receiver and have working surround sound coming from the Wii U... that is, until the console is powered down for several hours. Upon turning the Wii U back on after some time, it flat out refuses to output in 5.1 anymore and will only do stereo.

I cannot find any fixed solution to this issue. Simply toggling from surround to stereo and back in options does not fix the issue. Restarting the console a second time, switching from HDMI to non-HDMI and back, or unplugging the console for a short while were all solutions that worked sometimes. Sometimes none of these worked and I just switch back to stereo to get my center channel back.

I have a PS3 and PC connected to the same source and they both output 5.1 correctly and without issue, so I just chalk this up to Nintendo I guess. Anybody dealing with similar issues?

2. aiat_gamer

aiat_gamer GBAtemp Fan

May 1, 2008
    Iran
    How do you even get surround sound from wii u?!

3. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    You need a HDMI receiver that supports 5.1 LPCM. Unlike other consoles Wii U does not support DD/DTS 5.1.

OP, first of are you using Wii U games that supports 5.1 LPCM? Some Wii U games do fake 5.1 where the surround channels are muted.

4. shinkodachi

shinkodachi On permanent leave

Dec 31, 2013
    Finland
    Wii U doesn't support an init signal, which is what your PS3 and PC look for before outputting audio. Wii U is strictly LPCM only and transmits raw 5.1 LPCM audio over HDMI. Chances are your receiver has the input set for "Auto", trying to read the raw audio as DD/DTS by accident. Is it an Onkyo receiver perchance?

5. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    get a yamaha HD receiver :P

6. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    From what I gather Wii U can be very tricky when doing HDMI handshake (EDID).

I have an Onkyo receiver that works just fine with Wii U, always detected it as 5.1 LPCM.

7. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    never had any problems with my yamaha either. you buy cheap brands you get cheap results :P