Homebrew Official Retroarch WiiU (wip.)

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At least we have a solid official N64 option on the Wii U in the VC and injects. Clean them up by removing the dark filter, and optionally stretch the screen widescreen, and you can get most N64 games playing on a Wii U at full speed looking how you prefer. Yeah, not every game can be injected, but it does seem the vast majority can be played this way.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I don't think they're 100% interchangeable but like you say they are both MIPS - PPC. But I was thinking more about the fact the WiiU is difficult to get dynarec recompilation working in the first place.

Quote from embercold:

So now that that is figured out it's one less thing in the way :)
Nice.
I do hope N64 comes along as well, it'd be a shame not to have it on WiiU.
I think WiiU is only missing PSX, N64 and Dreamcast in order to be up to pair with the Switch in terms of consoles that can be emulated. If PSX comes around, then that'd leave N64 and Dreamcast for the WiiU to be a complete emulation beast, since it can also run Wii and GC natively.

Now that I brought it up, did Flycast ever see a port to WiiU in any form?

Reactions: ploggy

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice.
I think WiiU is only missing PSX, N64 and Dreamcast in order to be up to pair with the Switch in terms of consoles that can be emulated. If PSX comes around, then that'd leave N64 and Dreamcast for the WiiU to be a complete emulation beast, since it can also run Wii and GC natively.

Don't forget, Switch can also handle the Saturn. As far as I'm aware, the Wii U can't (beyond some proof of concept yabuse emulator via the vWii that doesn't work well enough to actually play games on).

And I know you mean in terms of native Wii U emulation, but I'd say there is enough ability to play PSX and N64 games on the Wii U (via WiiSXr and Wii64Glide/Not64 and VC N64 and Injects) that I wouldn't say the Wii U can't emulate such games. There could be improvements there, sure, but for me, the only major systems the Wii U is truly incapable of playing at this time that a Switch can, are the Saturn and Dreamcast.

Last edited by MikaDubbz,

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nice.

I wouldn't say no to Saturn emulation :P
No Dreamcast Emulation on WiiU, there was a start of a Dreamcast Emulation on the Wii but I dont know if it ever got to a point where the Dynarec was done. Looking at this vid tho, I doubt it lol

Reactions: ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Don't forget, Switch can also handle the Saturn. As far as I'm aware, the Wii U can't (beyond some proof of concept yabuse emulator via the vWii that doesn't work well enough to actually play games on).

And I know you mean in terms of native Wii U emulation, but I'd say there is enough ability to play PSX and N64 games on the Wii U (via WiiSXr and Wii64Glide/Not64 and VC N64 and Injects) that I wouldn't say the Wii U can't emulate such games. There could be improvements there, sure, but for me, the only major systems the Wii U is truly incapable of playing at this time that a Switch can, are the Saturn and Dreamcast.
Well in that regard, I'd say the WiiU also has two major systems the Switch is incapable of playing at this time, being GC and Wii. I'd trade those in place of Saturn and Dreamcast any day, but it'd still be better if it could play all of them, right? :P

I wouldn't say no to Saturn emulation :P
No Dreamcast Emulation on WiiU, there was a start of a Dreamcast Emulation on the Wii but I dont know if it ever got to a point where the Dynarec was done. Looking at this vid tho, I doubt it lol

Looked promising, but far from being playable without a doubt.
Still though, here's some hope towards PSX and N64 on WiiU at least.
Both WiiSXR and Not64 leave a lot to be desired in terms of compatibility and speed on plain Wii hardware, which the PSX and N64 cores could benefit from a lot on using WiiU hardware.

Reactions: jrb0 and ploggy

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well in that regard, I'd say the WiiU also has two major systems the Switch is incapable of playing at this time, being GC and Wii. I'd trade those in place of Saturn and Dreamcast any day, but it'd still be better if it could play all of them, right? :P

Oh yeah for sure, don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Wii U as my all-in-one Nintendo console, so much so that I haven't felt compelled to even bother hacking my Switch yet. GameCube and Wii libraries over Saturn and Dreamcast isn't a hard choice to make at all. Not only can it natively play Wii and GameCube games, but as a DS player (via VC and injects) the Switch simply can't beat it due to how the Wii U has the perfect setup for playing the likes of the DS. And I love that homebrew that allows us to remote play our own hacked 3DS on our Wii U. There is some really awesome shit that a hacked Wii U can do that a Switch really can't, or at least can't nearly as well. And for that reason, I can't fathom ever parting with my Wii U. But yeah, the more emulator compatibility on the system, the better.

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Looked promising, but far from being playable without a doubt.
Still though, here's some hope towards PSX and N64 on WiiU at least.
Both WiiSXR and Not64 leave a lot to be desired in terms of compatibility and speed on plain Wii hardware, which the PSX and N64 cores could benefit from a lot on using WiiU hardware.
I think the Mupen Core would run really well on WiiU with some of the more CPU intensive features were disabled, but your basic 1080p N64 Emulation could be more than doable imo.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Oh yeah for sure, don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Wii U as my all-in-one Nintendo console, so much so that I haven't felt compelled to even bother hacking my Switch yet. GameCube and Wii libraries over Saturn and Dreamcast isn't a hard choice to make at all. Not only can it natively play Wii and GameCube games, but as a DS player (via VC and injects) the Switch simply can't beat it due to how the Wii U has the perfect setup for playing the likes of the DS. And I love that homebrew that allows us to remote play our own hacked 3DS on our Wii U. There is some really awesome shit that a hacked Wii U can do that a Switch really can't, or at least can't nearly as well. And for that reason, I can't fathom ever parting with my Wii U. But yeah, the more emulator compatibility on the system, the better.
The WiiU still has a lot of great untapped potential, given the proper maintenance and care.
DS VC gave us a glimpse of what a good TV play for Dual Screen games could be, and while I do have my hacked Switch for all N64 and other stuff, I still see myself using the WiiU almost daily, if not for playing, for the browser alone.
There's a lot of convenience factors on the WiiU, and I know it has potential for so much more, which is why I still keep it and use it often.

I think the Mupen Core would run really well on WiiU with some of the more CPU intensive features were disabled, but your basic 1080p N64 Emulation could be more than doable imo.
I'm good with even bare 2x resolutions on N64 games tbh :P
720p is really good enough for me for games from that generation, so if that can be achieved, I'm all in!

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The WiiU still has a lot of great untapped potential, given the proper maintenance and care.
DS VC gave us a glimpse of what a good TV play for Dual Screen games could be, and while I do have my hacked Switch for all N64 and other stuff, I still see myself using the WiiU almost daily, if not for playing, for the browser alone.
There's a lot of convenience factors on the WiiU, and I know it has potential for so much more, which is why I still keep it and use it often.

Yeah, I've said the same, while I love what an emulation machine the Wii U can be, what I really hope the homebrew scene does more of in the future is dropping releases that make more use of the 2 screen nature of the Wii U. Simple thoughts I've seen proposed that I'd love to see implemented: emulating 2 GBAs at the same time, one on the TV and one on the GamePad that can then link for multiplayer GBA play. Or, someone taking the decompiled build of Mario 64, working in the split screen co-op multiplayer mod, and then release it for Wii U where Mario gets the TV and Luigi gets the Game Pad.

This is an aspect of the Wii U that I wish Nintendo would continue to embrace as an optional mode of play on the Switch for select games. With more and more households having more than one Switch in it and with the Switch being so easy to bring to a friend's place, it wouldn't be hard to have the systems connect, have one act as a host, and the other as a guest that maybe has to download a companion app for each compatible game so that the guest Switch can be used as a second screen controller in the same way as the Game Pad could on the Wii U. The ability for the Switch to do what a Wii U did is totally there (Pac Man Vs. in Namco Museum actually works exactly like this), but Nintendo just doesn't seem keen to implement such optional modes of play.

Last edited by MikaDubbz,

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah, I've said the same, while I love what an emulation machine the Wii U can be, what I really hope the homebrew scene does more of in the future is dropping releases that make more use of the 2 screen nature of the Wii U. Simple thoughts I've seen proposed that I'd love to see implemented: emulating 2 GBAs at the same time, one on the TV and one on the GamePad that can then link for multiplayer GBA play. Or, someone taking the decompiled build of Mario 64, working in the split screen co-op multiplayer mod, and then release it for Wii U where Mario gets the TV and Luigi gets the Game Pad.

This is an aspect of the Wii U that I wish Nintendo would continue to embrace as an optional mode of play on the Switch for select games. With more and more households having more than one Switch in it and with the Switch being so easy to bring to a friend's place, it wouldn't be hard to have the systems connect, have one act as a host, and the other as a guest that maybe has to download a companion app for each compatible game so that the guest Switch can be used as a second screen controller in the same way as the Game Pad could on the Wii U. The ability for the Switch to do what a Wii U did is totally there (Pac Man Vs. in Namco Museum actually works exactly like this), but Nintendo just doesn't seem keen to implement such optional modes of play.
I agree 100% about HB/Emulators utilising the WiiU two screen's I've been trying (and failing) to get DS homebrew to work as DS VC inject. If I could get it to run then we could have Emulators/HB utilise both screens without having to port it to WiiU :P
There a alot of Computer Emulators on DS that use the two screens well and would translate perfectly to WiiU.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree 100% about HB/Emulators utilising the WiiU two screen's I've been trying (and failing) to get DS homebrew to work as DS VC inject. If I could get it to run then we could have Emulators/HB utilise both screens without having to port it to WiiU :P
There a alot of Computer Emulators on DS that use the two screens well and would translate perfectly to WiiU.
I wonder if there could be a way to kinda trick old games to take advantage of the 2 screens. Like, say we're playing a split screen N64 VC game on the Wii U like Mario Kart 64, what if we could edit something in the files to cut the display down the split in the screen, and stretch both displays a bit, then have one stretched split screen on the TV and the other on the Game Pad.

Reactions: Zense and ploggy

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if there could be a way to kinda trick old games to take advantage of the 2 screens. Like, say we're playing a split screen N64 VC game on the Wii U like Mario Kart 64, what if we could edit something in the files to cut the display down the split in the screen, and stretch both displays a bit, then have one stretched split screen on the TV and the other on the Game Pad.
I could be, but it would take a changes to the Emulator itself I would guess?

Reactions: BlazeMasterBM

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I could be, but it would take a changes to the Emulator itself I would guess?
Yeah, unfortunately it doesn't seem there is any (obvious) means to create different display in any of the VC titles outside of DS games. Everythng seems to be automatically mirrored, and I'm not finding any spot where we could tell it to not mirror the screen, but instead display the screen at a specific location and ratio on the Game Pad separate from that of on the TV.

jrb0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, there is no N64 bounty for WiiU that I'm aware of. but I think this could open the door to other Cores that require PPC Dynarec. I wonder if m4xw would do a low effort N64 port to WiiU once the PS1 PPC dynarec is implemented? :P

We'll see how everything goes with the psx core, but if it does go as well as it's sounding, I'd like to help fund a N64 core afterwards. Especially if some of the progress that's being made now can help with it. One step at a time though.

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
We'll see how everything goes with the psx core, but if it does go as well as it's sounding, I'd like to help fund a N64 core afterwards. Especially if some of the progress that's being made now can help with it. One step at a time though.
That would be good, as long as it didn't take 4 years to get picked up :P m4xw is the N64 guru, see if he's wiling to take a stab at it. (as long as the PPC jit thing works out) :)

jrb0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That would be good, as long as it didn't take 4 years to get picked up :P m4xw is the N64 guru, see if he's wiling to take a stab at it. (as long as the PPC jit thing works out) :)

Sorry for double post, still new to this. Let's hit him up after all this. This system isn't getting younger. :P

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Sorry for double post, still new to this. Let's hit him up after all this. This system isn't getting any younger. :P

n00bsaib0t

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
N64 is barely fullspeed on switch. Don't expect too much on the wiiu.
N64 is full speed on the OG Xbox. Several N64 games run at full speed on the Wii. WiiU is just now seeing PSone work but it’s been on Wii for years and 3DS got it last year. With those old consoles it’s more about if someone wants to code it than if the hardware can do it.

Reactions: Maxbeta and ploggy

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended