1. saishowaguu

OP saishowaguu Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Hi.
    I am running the latest RetroArch 1.7.6 for switch as NRO hombrew on the latest SXOS CFW 2.6.1
    My SD card is formatted as ExFat. I copied the files over from the RetroArch Switch .7z file to my SD card.
    I can download cores and load games just fine, but when it comes to in-game saves or save states, they don't work.
    When I try to do a save state, no matter the core or game, it just says: "Task failed: Saving state".
    In-game saves, for example: an RPG using PSXRearmed, give no error when saving during the game, but when I quit Retroarch (cleanly) and reload it, it doesn't find the save data and I have to start the game over from the beginning.
    I can confirm that the save state folder is there and is set correctly in RetroArch settings.
    What can I do to fix this?

Ninjadust and metal921 like this.
  2. bad361

bad361 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Russia
    You can try another CFW, and also you can try formatting to fat32. There's no doubt the problem is on your end. Firstly try another cfw. If it doesn't work there, do a clean install of RA on f32 sd.

3. metal921

metal921 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Having same problem it’s a bummer. I was told to format everything to fat32.
    Maybe file corruption

4. Guaricana

Guaricana Newbie
    Newcomer

Turkey
    Having the same problem, I tried reinstalling but didn't help sadly. Kinda don't want to format if there's a way to fix without it..

5. dragnipur

dragnipur Member
    Newcomer

United States
    All your files should already be split in 4GB chunks (unless you have an nsp you didnt delete after installing) so formatting isnt as bad as it might seem.

But yeah, there’s no way around it.

Guaricana likes this.
  6. Switch_Maniac

Switch_Maniac GBAtemp Regular

United States
    More than likely that is 100% corruption if you are using exFAT. Homebrew an exFAT do not play well, especially if the homebrew crashes or is quit using the home button. If you have another SD just format that fat32, put RA and a couple games and test the save state.

7. n0where

n0where Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    I had this problem with savestates playing SOTN. I changed the save state from 0 to 1 and it worked. I even have my card formatted as ExFat.

8. Ninjadust

Ninjadust Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Hello Im Having a similar Problem, when i press the - and + buttons on my switch the menu comes up just fine but then when i click down to hover over the save state button it crashes..

error code 2168-0001 (0x2a8)

just trying to save states with Retroarch

9. Ninjadust

Ninjadust Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    This is the actual image of what I get when I try to scroll down to save state..

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Attached Files:

10. Ninjadust

Ninjadust Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Hey Everyone Good News with some of your save states.. Some Menu Drivers don't work for me RGUI is my goto on that 100% works. If it ever freezes and it keeps loading frozen. Delete the Retroarch.cfg file and it will load back to defaults.

Thank you but I figured it out before I could get a reply

Woot!

11. sli4

sli4 Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    I'm running into this or a similar issue as well.
    I have my sd formatted fat32. Have had no problems with my cfw, retroarch seems to work completely fine - EXCEPT I can't get it to load backed up save files. I've tried with save files that were sra and converted via the project64 converter to srm and i've tried with dexdrive .n64 save files that i renamed and later tried converting to srm.
    If i put an srm file into the savefiles folder (which i've made sure is selected) It starts the game as if there's no save at all and then rewrites the save I put there with a new one when I close content.
    I have tried:
    • renaming .n64 dexdrive saves to .srm (every attempt uses .srm extension and matching srm/rom names)

• extracting the raw save data as a .note file via online mpk extractor then renaming .note to .srm

• converting from dexdrive to mpk via online converter

• changing the /savefile folder location and forcing it to create folders for each core

• putting the files in the same folder as the roms

• renaming everything to not have any spaces

• I even played through and beat Super Smash Bro 64, 2 levels on star fox 64 and won a trophy in Mario Kart to make sure the game would be looking for a save file the next time I opened it.
    • completely removed retroarch and tried fresh.

EDIT: I should point out it seems games do save in retroarch they just wont load and then new saves are saved over them.
    also I found an an eep(?) file for mario kart, renamed it to srm it did not work - but then after i closed and reopened the rom it started working. still no luck with any of the others - so i think it's a file/format issue?

Last edited by sli4, May 1, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - RetroArch, Switch, Cannot