Hacking Restored emuMMC backup on sysMMC without realizing

ThunderbInazuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
So, I got a bigger SD card and was on the process of moving the emuMMC from the old SD card to the new... I did the backup of it, made the new partitions on the other SD, copied all the files and when I went to restore, I forgot to select emuMMC and it restored to sysMMC :/
Well, after this, I've already restored emuMMC to emuMMC and it is working fine, however, my sysMMC is now completely dirty and I would like to restore it to a previous state. Currently, I have with me a backup of it from September 2021 that I planned to restore. However, since it is from an older firmware (whatever the latest version was on September 2021), I am not sure if I could restore it directly like that. Wondering if someone could help me

Edited:
I forgot to say that this is an old switch and that I'm using RCM mode + Hekate + Atmosphere to load my CFW

Reactions: binkinator

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I got a bigger SD card and was on the process of moving the emuMMC from the old SD card to the new... I did the backup of it, made the new partitions on the other SD, copied all the files and when I went to restore, I forgot to select emuMMC and it restored to sysMMC :/
Well, after this, I've already restored emuMMC to emuMMC and it is working fine, however, my sysMMC is now completely dirty and I would like to restore it to a previous state. Currently, I have with me a backup of it from September 2021 that I planned to restore. However, since it is from an older firmware (whatever the latest version was on September 2021), I am not sure if I could restore it directly like that. Wondering if someone could help me

Edited:
I forgot to say that this is an old switch and that I'm using RCM mode + Hekate + Atmosphere to load my CFW
This will depend upon the version you had and the number of burnt fuses. There is a link to an article about fuses in my sig/blog.

edit:
Check the number of actual burnt fuses in Hekate. If you’ve never booted outside of CFW you could be perfectly fine.

• Hardware and Peripherals info (SoC, Fuses, RAM, Display, Touch, eMMC, SD, Battery, PSU, Charger)

Just a thought here, NOT telling you to do this:
Might have to do a very basic restore into a “clean” emunand (so you can bypass fuses) take the risk of booting up with CFW on “clean emunand” and then upgrading through normal Nintendo update over the network so it’s in the logs, then backing that up and restoring it to Sysnand????

dunno…it’s tricky. Anyone else have better ideas?

update: release dates in case it helps…

from the article:

System versionExpected number of burnt fuses (retail)Expected number of burnt fuses (non-retail)
2.0.0-2.3.020
3.0.1-3.0.241
4.0.0-4.1.051
5.0.0-5.1.061
6.0.0-6.1.071
7.0.0-8.0.191
9.0.0-9.0.1111
9.1.0-9.2.0121
10.0.0-10.2.0131
11.0.0-12.0.1141
12.0.2-13.1.0151
13.2.1-14.0.0161

Last edited by binkinator,

Takokeshi

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You can restore it, no problem. You might want to use daybreak to re-update back to whichever firmware version you've last been online with. Depending on numerous factors you might not be able to avoid a ban, though. If your old sysmmc had logs on it that Nintendo saw, and you restored an older backup that didn't have those logs anymore, they can see the discrepancy = flagged for potential ban. No way around that I'm afraid.

They know what firmware version you were on the last time you were online with them, if you suddenly show up with a lower firmware version they can tell. Same if you Daybreak update past whatever firmware version they have on record, they can tell you've updated through unofficial means. So it's important to at least Daybreak update to the exact same firmware version your sysmmc was on before.

Ideally, to avoid bans you would make a new emmc backup every single time you connect online, to avoid any discrepancies between Nintendo's servers and your console logs in the event that you needed to restore a backup. Otherwise you just gotta cross your fingers and pray. It might not be *that* risky as long as there are no nsp install logs though but you can never be certain. Restoring an older backup always carries risks that logs would mismatch and you'd get flagged.

ThunderbInazuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
This will depend upon the version you had and the number of burnt fuses. There is a link to an article about fuses in my sig/blog.

update: release dates in case it helps…

from the article:

System versionExpected number of burnt fuses (retail)Expected number of burnt fuses (non-retail)
2.0.0-2.3.020
3.0.1-3.0.241
4.0.0-4.1.051
5.0.0-5.1.061
6.0.0-6.1.071
7.0.0-8.0.191
9.0.0-9.0.1111
9.1.0-9.2.0121
10.0.0-10.2.0131
11.0.0-12.0.1141
12.0.2-13.1.0151
13.2.1-14.0.0161
Thank you. Looking at those numbers, I'm 99.9999% sure I was at 10.0.0 and 10.2.0 because I remember that I had to update Atmos and Hekate to 11.0 whe it was released.

So, basically, what I have now is:
emuMMC backup from today: 14.0.0
current sysMMC: 14.0.0
sysMMC before today restoration: 14.0.0
sysMMC from the backup: 10.0.0-10.2.0

You can restore it, no problem. You might want to use daybreak to re-update back to whichever firmware version you've last been online with. Depending on numerous factors you might not be able to avoid a ban, though. If your old sysmmc had logs on it that Nintendo saw, and you restored an older backup that didn't have those logs anymore, they can see the discrepancy = flagged for potential ban. No way around that I'm afraid.

They know what firmware version you were on the last time you were online with them, if you suddenly show up with a lower firmware version they can tell. Same if you Daybreak update past whatever firmware version they have on record, they can tell you've updated through unofficial means. So it's important to at least Daybreak update to the exact same firmware version your sysmmc was on before.
Well, tbh, I haven't gone online since I CFW'd it because I had another one to "oficial" play and I'm probably banned already, so, that's fine with me. So, the process I should use is:

1)Restore my sysMMC backup
2)Go to CFW sysMMC and update it with daybreak to the latest firmware
3)Profit?

Reactions: Takokeshi

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you. Looking at those numbers, I'm 99.9999% sure I was at 10.0.0 and 10.2.0 because I remember that I had to update Atmos and Hekate to 11.0 whe it was released.

So, basically, what I have now is:
emuMMC backup from today: 14.0.0
current sysMMC: 14.0.0
sysMMC before today restoration: 14.0.0
sysMMC from the backup: 10.0.0-10.2.0

Well, tbh, I haven't gone online since I CFW'd it because I had another one to "oficial" play and I'm probably banned already, so, that's fine with me. So, the process I should use is:

1)Restore my sysMMC backup
2)Go to CFW sysMMC and update it with daybreak to the latest firmware
3)Profit?
Check your burnt fuses in Hekate and compare to the link above. You could be perfectly good.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ugh, 16 burnt fuses, corresponding to the latest firmware
Edit: Well crap. Maybe boot with just Hekate to Sysnand to upgrade Online? So sketchy though…kinda damned if you do damned if you don’t.

could set up a stanza in hekate_ipl.ini like this:

{-------- Stock -------}
[Stock]
fss0=atmosphere/package3
stock=1
emummc_force_disable=1
# This disables kernel patching and CFW kips.
# Includes exosphere and warmboot, ONLY when >= 7.0.0 and Erista.
# Includes exosphere on Mariko.
# Exosphere/warmboot are not identifiable as it is now.
# This is the closest to OFW, especially when AutoRCM is needed

Last edited by binkinator,

AdmiralSpeedy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ok thanks, I will just try to do that
Edit: Well crap. Maybe boot with just Hekate to Sysnand to upgrade Online? So sketchy though…kinda damned if you do damned if you don’t.

could set up a stanza in hekate_ipl.ini like this:

{-------- Stock -------}
[Stock]
fss0=atmosphere/package3
stock=1
emummc_force_disable=1
# This disables kernel patching and CFW kips.
# Includes exosphere and warmboot, ONLY when >= 7.0.0 and Erista.
# Includes exosphere on Mariko.
# Exosphere/warmboot are not identifiable as it is now.
# This is the closest to OFW, especially when AutoRCM is needed

It's not really sketchy at all. SciresM has been using Atmosphere online basically since he started the project and the only console he's ever had banned was one that he was using to play around with CDN stuff.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Edited:

If the firmware you restore doesn't match what you were perviously online you probably would get ban for real.

Reactions: Takokeshi

AdmiralSpeedy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If the firmware you restore doesn't match what you were perviously online you probably would get ban for real.

They don't even have to go online. Boot stock with Atmosphere on the old backup and use Daybreak with update files from the internet on the SD card to update SysNAND.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They don't even have to go online. Boot stock with Atmosphere on the old backup and use Daybreak with update files from the internet on the SD card to update SysNAND.

That doesn't solve anything, it still make his NAND considered dirty, since he doesn't have a match fuse for the firmware he got at a lower firmware, he run into some problem. Im not sure how Nintendo handle a situation where you restore a firmware but the fuse count doesn't match.

AdmiralSpeedy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That doesn't solve anything, it still make his NAND considered dirty, since he doesn't have a match fuse for the firmware he got at a lower firmware, he run into some problem. Im not sure how Nintendo handle a situation where you restore a firmware but the fuse count doesn't match.

It's not dirty. If you read what I said about SciresM, you are not going to be banned for loading up AMS and using Daybreak,

I've booted AMS on Stock probably a dozen times in the last 4 years to do save backups and stuff and I've never been banned.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not dirty. If you read what I said about SciresM, you are not going to be banned for loading up AMS and using Daybreak,

I've booted AMS on Stock probably a dozen times in the last 4 years to do save backups and stuff and I've never been banned.

Doesn't have to do with that, it doesn't match with what he was previously online that is the problem.

AdmiralSpeedy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Doesn't have to do with that, it doesn't match with what he was previously online that is the problem.

I don't think you understand what I'm saying. They know how many fuses are burnt, they can tell which version they were on before this all happened so all they need to do is update to that version with Daybreak, offline, then go back online and update normally the rest of the way.

Tbh, even if they did just go straight to 14.0.0 I doubt they would get banned,

randy_w

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that doesn't make sense to me, what if you go offline for sometime, then reset your system and updated using a game cartridge? nintendo can't just ban ppl if they updated their firmware offline right?

Anyway, you can always do a system wipe with tegra explorer. That should remove bannable traces like backup nsps, custom profile pictures and etc..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    cearp @ cearp: As long as you're not going hungry, it's nice to share things with your friends +1