Restore N3DS with sysNAND after DSiWare transfer?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Kevbotty, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Kevbotty
    OP

Kevbotty Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 13, 2017
    United States
    I'm running 11.5 on my N3DS with b9s and cfw and all that stuff. I want to help out my brother, who is running stock on 11.5, and use the system transfer to give him b9s as well. But I want to keep all the stuff I have now. If I do a NAND backup with gm9 and then do the transfer, can I then restore my NAND and have b9s back and all the settings and things from the backup? What will I not be able to restore after I system transfer to his system? And side question: is there a way to save the games I have that I got from .cia? Or will I have to redownload them one-by-one? Thanks.

Last edited by Kevbotty, Jul 19, 2017
  2. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko 3DS Hardmoder

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    Don't know how it is with installed games and sysnand backup, but it should be fully working after sysnand restore.

Last edited by Kubas_inko, Jul 19, 2017
  3. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    You can do this but:
    - you'll lose your NNID (you can try calling Nintendo and asking them to put it back)
    - if both of you play online at the same time you'll be banned (to prevent this make your brother format the console after installing CFW)

4. proflayton123

proflayton123 Undeclared Shitposter 2.1

Jan 11, 2016
    Japan
    日本
    The cons above can be avoided when ntrboothax is released but there is no current ETA of release.

Quantumcat likes this.
  5. Kevbotty
    OP

Kevbotty Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 13, 2017
    United States
    So I just click and drag the sysnand .bin file onto the sd card and I have all my cfw and other things back (aside from game files)? I haven't seen a definitive way of doing a nand restore, so I'm assuming you just put the file onto the card

6. Petraplexity

Petraplexity Fidget-Spinning Spicy Memelord™

Sep 5, 2015
    United States
    Over There
    Doing a NAND backup and a full SD card backup should have you covered.
    After you're done, just restore the NAND backup using GodMode9 (or Hourglass9 if you need a very simple, noobproof method), delete all the files from your SD card, and then copy your files from the SD card backup. It should be working (mostly) as it was before the process.
    The only caveats are the ones Quantumcat mentioned.
    Good luck!

7. DrkBeam

DrkBeam GBAtemp Fan

Jun 12, 2016
    Spain
    If you really need your nnid back you should do a system transfer 7 days after the original transfer back to your system

8. Kevbotty
    OP

Kevbotty Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 13, 2017
    United States
    Thank you for the step-by-step! So I will still have access to cfw (but more importantly gm9) after the transfer? Otherwise I wouldn't be able to restore the backup, I'm assuming. That's really my main question here. Sorry for the noob here, but I just want the important details worked out.

Last edited by Kevbotty, Jul 20, 2017
    Petraplexity likes this.
  9. DrkBeam

DrkBeam GBAtemp Fan

Jun 12, 2016
    Spain
    System transfer doesn't erase b9s, nothing can overwrite it unless it is a payload like godmode, even though there are a lot of safety measures that prevents it

Petraplexity likes this.
  10. Kevbotty
    OP

Kevbotty Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 13, 2017
    United States
    Thank you very much for the help! I always appreciate the people on here who are patient with us beginners

Petraplexity likes this.