Restore CFW to stock?

eXtremeDevil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, I've recently purchased a second hand n3DSXL and it came with CFW already installed. My question is, without knowing the method the seller used, can I restore it back to stock?

I know there's no reason to do it, but, as I see it, I would like to put all back to stock, and in the future install CFW myself. That way, not only I will learn things about the console (it's the first time I have a 3DS) but also I will know exactly what has been modified and how.

Thanks in advance!

eXtremeDevil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I recieved it today, what I see is: Luma3DS 9.1 | Booted from SD via B9S. So I guess I have B9S version installed, right?

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recieved it today, what I see is: Luma3DS 9.1 | Booted from SD via B9S. So I guess I have B9S version installed, right?
Yes. Buf If you want to update the firmware on the 3ds to the latest version you'd need to update Luma3DS as well.
And i don't recommend uninstalling cfw for a beginner, unless you do it the right way following the guide without skipping any steps. And even then, since you want to install cfw in the future, why not just keep it the way it is? (less risk imo). The eShop shutdown is another major incentive to keep it just the way it is.

eXtremeDevil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I haven't check the firmware version yet, maybe it is already on the latest version.

I do want to update Luma3DS to latest, that's one of the reasons I want to install CFW myself from scratch.

What do you mean with the "eShop shutdown"?

I can follow the guide with no problems :)

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
I haven't check the firmware version yet, maybe it is already on the latest version.

I do want to update Luma3DS to latest, that's one of the reasons I want to install CFW myself from scratch.

I can follow the guide with no problems :)

Keep B9S. It is barely impossible to do it wrong, and when it goes bad, it goes really bad. Just update luma in the SD and that's just about how far goes CFW installs in 3ds, really. You are not missing much.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No it isn't, it wouldn't boot to the home menu if it was (since you have Luma3DS v.9.1).
Uh, you know that you can just update both the system and Luma3DS (to v. 11) without the need of uninstalling cfw and reinstalling it from scratch. Just update Luma3DS first, by copying boot.firm to the root of your sd card, then update the firmware the normal way.
Read Here.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see. So, what do you mean when you say that's an incentive?
An incentive to keep CFW..
Do you not recommend formatting it neighter? Just to remove any data of the previous owner I mean.
Doing a system format will not remove CFW, bit if you want to do it to get rid of the previous owner's data, installed games etc. then by all means, do it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.