Restart life in a different country

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by x65943, Nov 18, 2019.

1. x65943
    OP

x65943 Dr. Rabbi Prince X, Sr., Ed. D.

GBAtemp Patron
    x65943 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Midwest
    The premise: you restart your life and can choose to be born in any country. Which do you choose?

I'd pick Liechtenstein

High salary, quality of life, in the middle of a beautiful continent with lots to do and see, likely end up multilingual, good social services

What about you guys?

2. ChaosEternal

ChaosEternal GBAtemp Fan

Jul 27, 2015
    United States
    Japan. Most of the media I consume is already Japanese. Being a native speaker of the language would make things very convenient for me. Also, their food is delicious!

3. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein There's hope for a Xenosaga port.

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    I don't know. I really like Germany, but I moved here. It is really the kind of place I like.
    I guess Liechtenstein is OK.
    Japan would be a guilty pleasure perhaps, hmmm.

I guess if I could target place and time together that would be an interesting choice.
    Perhaps 80s Japan? I was born in the early 80s already...
    Perhaps late 70s Japan? That sounds interesting in some ways, guilty pleasure more than anything else.

Hmmm... but I think I was born in a pretty nice place/time already, well, IMHO.

x65943 and alexander1970 like this.
  4. alexander1970

alexander1970 GBAtemp allows me to be here

Nov 8, 2018
    Austria
    Austria
    I was born in Vienna/Austria.
    I have lived in Austria for 49 Years.
    And I would chose it again if i have the Chance.
    I love my Country.
    I can not imagine a better Place to live.

Thank you.:)

5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Are we doing rewind however many decades and start there or blank mind and start today? Do I have any memories or vague senses of self that shine through (biology certain influences things and possibilities but blank slate and all that otherwise).

At this point in time I would have to ponder what would be hip and happening in say 30-40 years time and that I don't honestly know. It is probably too soon for the sub Saharan African space race (that is probably about 55-70 years out), China's population pyramid will probably collapse by then (plus... you know... China), don't see the US doing much of anything special, if we get some nice global warming then Russia and Canada might have some fun with their new northern territories but I doubt Russia will be a terribly nice place and Canada is much like Australia in terms of wacky laws, Japan's relevance is somewhat fading, most countries with the whole nicest place to live are usually also boring as sin after about 5 years which probably discounts Iceland, I could see having some fun on the Southern tip of Chile, likewise there might be something interesting going on in Estonia on down, much like the US I don't particularly see most of western Europe doing much of great interest during this time assuming some nice super tech does not happen, most of Asia is too bloody hot.

For the most part I figure I can make it work wherever I am at. The UK did give me some nice tools though that I don't particularly see bettered anywhere else (equalled yes, bettered not so much), and a generally easy time of doing it, plus English being both the language of science/tech and business (and the world's second language) does not hurt either.

x65943 and alexander1970 like this.
  6. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    I'm already happy in the place where I live, happiness can be found everywhere.
    Beside all you need just a plane ticket, you don't need to be reborn.

cauliquackers and alexander1970 like this.
  7. AmandaRose

AmandaRose Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Glasgow
    In my many years on earth I have lived in Scotland until I was 18. I then moved to England for two year's. Then I lived in Germany for 6 months before moving to Japan for 2 years. Then back to Scotland. Now i spend about 8 months a year in Scotland and the other 4 months in England due to work.

I could pretty much live in any country in the world other than America for reasons I dont think i need to get into lol.

Last edited by AmandaRose, Nov 19, 2019 - Reason: I cant spell
    sarkwalvein, x65943 and alexander1970 like this.
  8. cauliquackers

cauliquackers Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 16, 2019
    United States
    China -- BUT IT MUST BE SHANGHAI. It's almost like I have a sexual attraction to that city. Nothing else will do.

alexander1970 and x65943 like this.
  9. ChaosEternal

ChaosEternal GBAtemp Fan

Jul 27, 2015
    United States
    Any developed country? If you mean literally any country, then you're a far braver person than I am!

alexander1970 and x65943 like this.
  10. Elemi

Elemi [Nekos With Attitude]

Feb 29, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Mental centre!
    From UK, and UK again because we rule the waves!

alexander1970 likes this.
  11. AmandaRose

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Glasgow
    I would rather go to somewhere like Iraq or Syria than America as there would be less of a chance of me being raped or murdered due to being transgender.

Lets not forget the facts that America has a higher rape rate of trans women than any other country in the world. 48% of American trans women will be raped at some point in their life. And it also has one of the highest murder rates of trans Women. And also sorry I said in my first post I didn't need to explain why then I have just over ruled myself in my next post lol.

Last edited by AmandaRose, Nov 19, 2019
  12. qqq1

qqq1 GBAtemp Regular

GBAtemp Patron
    qqq1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    The only place I can think of besides the USA is Switzerland. I hope I can bring all my guns with me.

13. ChaosEternal

ChaosEternal GBAtemp Fan

Jul 27, 2015
    United States
    Although I'm unable to answer that question, I can thank you for choosing to answer despite your reservations. So: thank you!

alexander1970 and AmandaRose like this.
  14. MicmasH_W

MicmasH_W Doofy snow leopard

Jul 18, 2019
    United States
    Pixel Joint
    I would either go to Denmark or Canada because of my bruv and sis... otherwise I love Texas to death ;3

alexander1970 and VinsCool like this.
  15. AmandaRose

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Glasgow
    Bloody hell I can't spell tonight I put facks instead of facts.

alexander1970 and MicmasH_W like this.
  16. SG854

SG854 If It Bleeds, We Can Kill It

Feb 17, 2017
    Comoros
    Just don't give a fack and worry about spelling. Life is fackin' much simpler that way.

17. AmandaRose

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Glasgow
    Well due to being dyslexic I try even harder to always spell right and get annoyed when i dont. (i know i shouldn't let it bother me but it does)

Last edited by AmandaRose, Nov 19, 2019 - Reason: Fucking hell Amanda your spelling is all over the place
  18. Super.Nova

Super.Nova GBAtemp Fan

Dec 20, 2009
    Saudi Arabia
    Under Government Suppression
    What's most concerning to me in this premise is whether or not I'm going to become the same person I am right now.
    I'd rather have my current life transferred to an other country than to restart anew in an other.

Living the life I had and have shaped me pretty harshly and made me improve upon myself and gain so much knowledge.
    Restarting in, say, America, I could very well end up to be the kind of person I hate rather than the one I am right now.
    I'm glad I had the harsh, difficult life I had and love how it made me so independent on others but I'd rather live in a country that supports my efforts rather than bury them (as I have right now).
    I'm just not sure I'd have became the same person under different circumstances.

19. satel

satel Luigi's Big Brother

Nov 3, 2004
    Laos
    any place that is immune from human destruction !! looking at ww1,ww2 & how things are now i say it's a very hard question

alexander1970, x65943 and MicmasH_W like this.
  20. x65943
    OP

x65943 Dr. Rabbi Prince X, Sr., Ed. D.

GBAtemp Patron
    x65943 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Midwest
    New Zealand is a peaceful place mostly outside of most political scuffles

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted