Resizing WBFS partition?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by aabbccdd, Aug 1, 2009.

Aug 1, 2009

Resizing WBFS partition? by aabbccdd at 10:32 AM (2,010 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. aabbccdd
    OP

Member aabbccdd GBAtemp Regular

Finland
    I have a 250GB USB-HD, and stupid that I was, I completely allocated it to WBFS. Is it somehow possible to resize the partition without any data loss so I could create a 50GB FAT32 partition? I've searched and searched, even tried EASEUS but it didn't recognize the WBFS partition. Any help would be appreciated, I don't have enough HD space in my laptop to transfer all the games back and forth.

2. techboy

Member techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I don't believe this is possible without deleting the contents. I want to resize mine as well. (Although mine needs to be made larger not smaller).

3. Szalkow

Member Szalkow RawkSD Cheerleader

United States
    Unfortunately, WBFS drives are completely static. The only way to resize them is to format over them and begin again :/

If you don't have the hard drive space yourself to extract all your game isos during the reformat, see if you can borrow a friend's external for a weekend. You could also (ugh) burn everything to DVDR's, or pack the games into RARs and hope that makes enough of a difference (RARs of Wii isos which have been scrubbed for WBFS will compress to their WBFS size - Wii Play is 92 MB).

4. illinialex24

Member illinialex24 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I believe using Symantecs Partition tool for $60 you can resize it, but other than that no with deleting stuff. You can undo the partitions and remake them, but other than that no.

5. techboy

Member techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    You're probably referring to Powerquest Partition Magic (or what's left of it, Symantec bought PowerQuest Inc. and made their app based on it). Not sure what it's called now...Norton Partition Magic?

NOTE: I do not support Symantec or their products in any way. Their AV software is a disaster.

No, that app won't handle proper resizing of WBFS (which shows as "Unknown partition"). It will however allow you to delete it and resize any normal partitions (NTFS, FAT, etc.)

You can enlarge a WBFS partition manually (editing partition table), but WBFS will claim its full when the original capacity is reached, not when the new capacity is reached. If made smaller, the games stored on it go corrupt.

6. aabbccdd
    OP

Member aabbccdd GBAtemp Regular

Finland
    Thanks for all the answers. Gonna have to think of something else then.

7. runkittyrun

Newcomer runkittyrun Member

United States
    buy second external HD backup all the info, then reformat your drive and copy the info back, then either return it or sell the drive on ebay or something after formating it [​IMG]

8. illinialex24

Member illinialex24 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Or just extract everything to a computer and then delete the partition, and remake it.

9. grentuu

Member grentuu GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Take the last 2 answers.

You need to borrow a drive that works. Test it 1st by formatting to WBFS and installing 1 game. Check it works.

Then format your drive part WBFS and part FAT.

Then copy back to WBFS drive.

Done.