Resident Evil

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Rock Raiyu, Nov 9, 2008.

Nov 9, 2008

Resident Evil by Rock Raiyu at 5:08 AM (1,233 Views / 0 Likes) 14 replies

1. Rock Raiyu
    OP

Member Rock Raiyu Clock Up

United States
    Well, I know that Resident Evil is a popular franchise and I hear various things about it. Thing is, I've not once picked up a Resident Evil game. Never tried it, and never thought to give it a try. So how good is Resident Evil exactly? any recommendations?

2. michaelf

Newcomer michaelf Advanced Member

United States
    Play the remake of the first one on game cube for sure. It does justice to the original and will help bring you in to the game if you've never played them before. Basically, if you enjoy that then the rest of the franchise will fall right in line.

2 and 3 are also excellent games. 4 is a great game in its own right but it is FAR different than the rest. Director's Cut on the playstation was the version I played the hell out of back in the day but it may be a little rough going back that far without the nostalgia factor working for you.

Enjoy.

3. Vulpes Abnocto

Former Staff Vulpes Abnocto Drinks, Knows Things

United States
    (This refers only to the playstation versions)
    The first Resident Evil game has the absolute WORST voice acting I've ever heard, but the story and gameplay is rather compelling.
    Resident Evil 2, however, is simply amazing in all aspects. The only complaint I have about that one are some of the camera angles the game uses.

I highly recommend you trying the games out.
    Also, Silent Hill is a similar game, that if you've not tried yet, you should.

4. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Resident Evil is a great series...once you get used to the controls. The only bad ones for me where the Gun Survivor ones.

Sure the voice acting was pretty abysmal, the controls are extremely dated (apart from RE4) but the stories are very good (and creepy like the incest thing in RE:Code Veronica), they've always had an sense of emergency to them too.

Resident Evil 4 is easily the best one, despite the lack of zombies, they've fixed the controls and made it more tense. Just realised how little I know about RE5, after all most of the details about the story and game were released after I got rid of my 360 so I just never paid much interest to them but hopefully I'll be getting a super PC to play it on, and hopefully the PC version won't be bad ports like the rest of the games.

5. p1ngpong

Supervisor p1ngpong Legit Boss Harold

Croatia
    I loved Resident Evil 2, I played the first GC resi, and although visually stunning I found it ubber hard! Resi 4 is great but its practically the same on GC Wii and PC, the PC version being a particularly lazy port, for Resi 4 I would go with the GC version as I found the shaking controls for a few things on the Wii really annoying.

6. Mei-o

Member Mei-o Generic Asian Kidâ„¢

Japan
    I played RE: 3 with weapon cheats(lol I killed Nemesis on the first encounter) by myself at around 12 midnight when I was 8, I smashed the CD the day after, I guess it was super scary back then, it barely gives me chills now though, I never really cared much about the voice acting so I couldn't really say much, but those guys are trustworthy enough anyway.

7. mr deez

Member mr deez GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    RE4 is, in my opinion, one of the greatest games ever made.

Not really cared for the others so much though.

8. NiGHtS

Member NiGHtS GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    I couldnt give a crap about the RE games...RE4 is great but the rest i dont really care about...

9. War

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    Resident Evil is my favorite series. I love all the games, since they are all fun in their own way. (Even 0!)

I recommend 2, 3, and 4.

10. azoreseuropa

Member azoreseuropa GBAtemp Psycho!

Portugal
    PSX/PC:

Resident Evil 1-3

PSX:

Resident Survivor

PS2:

Resident Evil Outbreak
    Resident Evil Outbreak File 2
    Resident Evil Aim
    Resident Evil Survivor 2: Code Veronica
    Resident Evil The Essentials

PS2/PC:

Resident Evil 4

PS3:

Resident Evil 5 (next year 2009)

Game Cube:

Resident Evil 0

Resident Evil Code Veronica X

Nintendo Wii:

Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles

Have fun!

11. Hillsy_

Member Hillsy_ GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Try Resident Evil Remake on the Gamecube first, very well done. Resident Evil 2 watch for the intro, still one of the best intros for any game. Resident Evil 3 has the Nemesis, so get ready to run alot [​IMG] Resident Evil 4 is the best in the series. Resident Evil 0 has the use of partners and is the prequel to the RE Remake. I wouldn't start with 0 though, go with the remake first.

I agree though, avoid Gun Survivor; but do try Umbrella Chronicles I found it alot of fun.

Resident Evil Code Veronica was an offspring, a forgotten title; but a worthwhile addition to the Resident Evil franchise. Some great moments, Always remember the Pandora's box music, quite beautiful.

12. agimann

Member agimann GBAtemp Regular

Norway
    sega dreancast: code veronica

13. Intimidator88

Member Intimidator88 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I would go with

RE1 Gamecube
    RE2 PS1
    RE3 PS1
    RE4 Gamecube

Those are just to start you out with the best ones IMO

14. jesterscourt

Member jesterscourt Not Brad.

United States
    Do you have a Wii and a PS1/PS2? alright follow me:

Put the RE1 remake for the GC in the Wii
    Then Play RE2, RE3 and Code Veronica on the PS1/GC/DC (your choice)
    Play RE4 on the Wii. Trust me, I've played all versions, GC, PS2, PC, the Wii version is the superior version.

I know, the 0 for the GC. It's not what I'd consider super important, you can get it out of the way after you finish the others.

My favorite? RE2, Followed Closely by Code Veronica, then 4. I really wish they'd remake ALL the earlier games with the RE4 controls, the tank controls were rough, but you do get used to them after awhile.

15. Waddle Dee

Member Waddle Dee GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Most resideEvils are good... but there was one on PS2 that SUCKED, can't remember the name. ll the Resident Evil games except 4 and Umbrella Chronicles are focused on exploration, not combat - RE4 (the best) is a lo more focused on combat, but with a good amount of exploration still. I never played ay except 4, and that reinds me of Zelda, but violent, bloody, and AWESOME.

Also, the new CGI movie coming out looks GREAT! IT HAS RELATION T THE GAMES FOR ONCE!

-note- The Resident Evil movies aren't too good, they have nothin to do with he games. the new one involves Claire Redfield and Leon Kennedy (Yay, like RE2, except Leon looks like the RE4 version - cool, not creepy like SNES Marth [Fire Emblem])

I suggest getting 4, the sequels aren't usually continuations in he story - RE4 is not a continuation from 3, ETC., but all he charcters have reations with each other.

If you own a Gamecube/Wii, the games to get would be Resident Evil 0, Resident Evil 2, Resident Evil (3):Nemesis, and Resident Evil 4 GAMECUBE VERSION. Unlss you like motion control. Gag me.

Note tha RE4 is BEAUTIFUL. I've never seen gm with bettergraphics on the GC. Just don't get your had sawed off while gwking at thepretty visuals. Which reminds me - deah is fun, because the decapitations are incredibly beautiful and gory -- like whe your head gts sawed off.

An listen to Jester. He (she?) knows his (her?) crap.