Resident Evil 2 REMAKE OTS or fixed cammera?

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
OP
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
So i recently saw Resident Evil 2 remake video game.
I started to play RE1 hd and i was amazed how close to original it is but with fresh look and textures!
So when i saw re2 remake i was wondering why there is no consistency, since re1 hd has fixed camera, and original also had, and re1 hd also has, so...im not saying i disslike it so i wont wont play it, but fixed camera is one of the reason RE (for me at least) is why its its a good game, and the atmosphere it makes and the way you controll and move, they are all landmarks of the series, not juat the story.

What do you think of over the shoulder cammera in RE games in general, and do you, like me, like fixed cammera and would you like to see RE2 HD just like RE1 HD is?
i would!✌️

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
OP
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
OTS has a greater market appeal. Brings you closer to the action. And is a more standard way to play a 3rd person game.
i know all that.
Anyway, i like fixed cammera in resident evil game, its whats re known for, its how original looked so for the sake of consistency. also it has different atmosphere with fixed camera angles, more suited to resident evil imo.
for example i liked RE4 where all started basicly, it was a good game, but it has different atmosphere and feel to it than other re games, and it resembles 3rd person games. RE was unique for that.

But mainly because i play RE HD and now there is RE2 i find there is no consistency since original was like that.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Thing is they can very easily do both.
I am okay if they want to change the camera perspective to be honest.

However, what I am not okay with is the fact that the characters now feel the need to comment and say stuff every once in a while.
This completely kills the immersion of the game, and it also brings the OST to a much diminished importance.

They are going for a movie-like approach, while the original embraced you with the incredible OST, and the sounds of the enemies on the back were just an amazing feeling of dread that not many games capture.
By adding constant fucking dialogue to the game, this feeling will get lost.

I just hope they add an option to mute the fucking characters, I don't need to hear the awful new voice actors for the characters every 5 seconds.

Reactions: Metoroid0

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
OP
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
Thing is they can very easily do both.
I am okay if they want to change the camera perspective to be honest.

However, what I am not okay with is the fact that the characters now feel the need to comment and say stuff every once in a while.
This completely kills the immersion of the game, and it also brings the OST to a much diminished importance.

They are going for a movie-like approach, while the original embraced you with the incredible OST, and the sounds of the enemies on the back were just an amazing feeling of dread that not many games capture.
By adding constant fucking dialogue to the game, this feeling will get lost.

I just hope they add an option to mute the fucking characters, I don't need to hear the awful new voice actors for the characters every 5 seconds.
yes i also noticed that!
i always felt immersion breaking and it feels like a generic modern survival horror game to me somehow. Tbh i dont like cinematic aproach in the games. to me cinematics are those things that fill in the gameplay so it wont be empty and to tell a story in a key moments. i hope there arent quick time events. cinematics and QTE shiuld theiretically make better emersion but to me that breaks it.

As you said they should do both, fixed camera like in RE code veronica (I like that fixed camera but not tottaly fixed and in 3d enviorment) or classical one, and ots camera (but i think first person would do better)

i never played through revelations and other games to the end, they just dont feel RE to me. although revelations is one of better imo, but original games had something unique and special to it...and its not nostalgia. It was never horror to me, it was more an exploration where i solve puzzles (a lot of them) follow the story by playing game (not watching scinematics) feeling of isolation, SURVIVAL, constant reminder that hold on to what i have in my arsenal of weapons and to be smart with it and with save spots...but mainly i think its a puzzle survive horror game, not so much an action and story drivena..i never saw it like that at least.
and thats why i liked it.

also fixed camera to me was like professional shots of an eneriers where everything is already set up beforehand so you can enjoy those shots visually, and as you travel from one area to another and not knowing what to expect. like with doors in loading scenes, or in original re when you enter one area and other is blocked from the view and all of a suddenly in game cut scene shows jill (my favorite s.t.a.r.s) going backwards. it gives that sense of not knowing what to expect.

i might be old fashioned, but i actually like modern horror games but i dont see RE in those waters, it looses its original charm. i think fps would work better than ots.

Reactions: ShadowOne333

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Curious.
I once had a long discussion with some people that insisted tank controls were integral to a Resident Evil game. This thing for the fixed camera reminds me of that.

I would say it is attributing the wrong cause to the effect. It should still be entirely possible to create an oppressive, dread inducing game without it. Limited ammo/resources (possibly even forced a la Left4Dead director), reduced sight lines (go drag in one of your PS1/N64 era peeps as such design was all about that), audio design (something RE has consistently done well), choice lighting, forcing a risk-reward type thing to every engagement (do I dodge, risk some health with the knife but save ammo, expend my limited ammo and create noise, give myself a retreat path).

I should also note RE3 introduced the panning camera angles. 4 was still something of a departure but eh.

Reactions: Metoroid0

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Curious.
I once had a long discussion with some people that insisted tank controls were integral to a Resident Evil game. This thing for the fixed camera reminds me of that.

I would say it is attributing the wrong cause to the effect. It should still be entirely possible to create an oppressive, dread inducing game without it. Limited ammo/resources (possibly even forced a la Left4Dead director), reduced sight lines (go drag in one of your PS1/N64 era peeps as such design was all about that), audio design (something RE has consistently done well), choice lighting, forcing a risk-reward type thing to every engagement (do I dodge, risk some health with the knife but save ammo, expend my limited ammo and create noise, give myself a retreat path).

I should also note RE3 introduced the panning camera angles. 4 was still something of a departure but eh.
It wasn't RE3 that introduced panning camera, it was Code Veronica.
RE3 still had fixed camera, it wasn't until Code Veronica came in that they finally did full 3D environments.
Even though the camera was still fixed in some places, some angles did pan around a bit to extend the scenery, something which wasn't possible with the pre-rendered backgrounds of RE1-RE3.
yes i also noticed that!
i always felt immersion breaking and it feels like a generic modern survival horror game to me somehow. Tbh i dont like cinematic aproach in the games. to me cinematics are those things that fill in the gameplay so it wont be empty and to tell a story in a key moments. i hope there arent quick time events. cinematics and QTE shiuld theiretically make better emersion but to me that breaks it.

As you said they should do both, fixed camera like in RE code veronica (I like that fixed camera but not tottaly fixed and in 3d enviorment) or classical one, and ots camera (but i think first person would do better)

i never played through revelations and other games to the end, they just dont feel RE to me. although revelations is one of better imo, but original games had something unique and special to it...and its not nostalgia. It was never horror to me, it was more an exploration where i solve puzzles (a lot of them) follow the story by playing game (not watching scinematics) feeling of isolation, SURVIVAL, constant reminder that hold on to what i have in my arsenal of weapons and to be smart with it and with save spots...but mainly i think its a puzzle survive horror game, not so much an action and story drivena..i never saw it like that at least.
and thats why i liked it.

also fixed camera to me was like professional shots of an eneriers where everything is already set up beforehand so you can enjoy those shots visually, and as you travel from one area to another and not knowing what to expect. like with doors in loading scenes, or in original re when you enter one area and other is blocked from the view and all of a suddenly in game cut scene shows jill (my favorite s.t.a.r.s) going backwards. it gives that sense of not knowing what to expect.

i might be old fashioned, but i actually like modern horror games but i dont see RE in those waters, it looses its original charm. i think fps would work better than ots.
Exactly.
They are going full-on cinematic mode, and this is killing the mood for what the original RE2 brought to the table, which made it such a hit.
The ONLY clear example I can think of a modern horror game doing it right was Dead Space.
You could hear the background noises, songs, and the lack of constant bullshit talking made you feel like you were there in the engineer suit instead of Isaac. This also helped a lot to create the immersion, and also the lack of blabbermouth made you focus more on the environmental noises ,which you had to be on the lookout for possible necromorphs appearing out of ducts or hidden places.

That should be what they should aim for. We don't need Leon saying every fucking thing he encounters or being amazed at the Licker going through the window, that completely shits on the original iconic moment in RE2. Silent and relaxed, and then you see the Licker pass by the window in a quick matter, you don't hear a thing, only the sound of his claws going through the wall.
THAT'S horror, not this bullshit cinematic crap.

D

Deleted User

If I wanted fixed camera I'd play the original, it's good to have something new and refreshing.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It wasn't RE3 that introduced panning camera, it was Code Veronica.
RE3 still had fixed camera, it wasn't until Code Veronica came in that they finally did full 3D environments.
Even though the camera was still fixed in some places, some angles did pan around a bit to extend the scenery, something which wasn't possible with the pre-rendered backgrounds of RE1-RE3.

Exactly.
They are going full-on cinematic mode, and this is killing the mood for what the original RE2 brought to the table, which made it such a hit.
The ONLY clear example I can think of a modern horror game doing it right was Dead Space.
You could hear the background noises, songs, and the lack of constant bullshit talking made you feel like you were there in the engineer suit instead of Isaac. This also helped a lot to create the immersion, and also the lack of blabbermouth made you focus more on the environmental noises ,which you had to be on the lookout for possible necromorphs appearing out of ducts or hidden places.

That should be what they should aim for. We don't need Leon saying every fucking thing he encounters or being amazed at the Licker going through the window, that completely shits on the original iconic moment in RE2. Silent and relaxed, and then you see the Licker pass by the window in a quick matter, you don't hear a thing, only the sound of his claws going through the wall.
THAT'S horror, not this bullshit cinematic crap.
My bad on the camera thing, I mainly wanted to say 4 did not come completely out of left field.

Mood wise I saw those 15 minute clips of the start of the station segment. While I can't call the game at this point, and after 6 and some of the non numbered things there is scope to go bad, I could see being optimistic from what I saw there. No particular alarms raised for me.

Reactions: ShadowOne333

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Interesting video I found on the matter. While occasionally far from how I would describe things it brings up some points worth contemplating as part of this discussion

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: You could say the same for a couple or so threads that used to be popular, I guess.