Remove softmod from Wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by videotube, Sep 18, 2015.

1. videotube
    OP

videotube Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 18, 2015
    Netherlands
    Hello guys,

I've had my Wii for a long time and enjoyed it, mostly because of its softmod. But now I want to sell it. The problem is that i'm scared that the one that will buy my Wii will get problems with the Wii because of updates or something. That's why I want to get rid of the softmod.

My question is now: how? I think I cant do a factory reset because the software won't like that.
    I used the letterbomb method and currently I have HBC, USBLoaderGX, mediacenter and a few emulators. Also I've installed some other things like .wad's to get DLC's and shortcuts.

This is the systemlog:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Thanks in advance

Last edited by videotube, Sep 18, 2015
    Tomato Hentai likes this.
  2. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    the wii will never get anymore updates lol, its discontinued product, wifi down no more support from nintendo.

i mean you can delete the homebrew channel icon on the main menu easily but yeah most people that buy a wii even want it softmoded so its a plus imo.

3. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Like the above poster said, there won't be any more updates, so you can just make sure it's on the latest firmware before you sell it. Make sure to tell the buyer what they can do with it ;)

4. videotube
    OP

videotube Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 18, 2015
    Netherlands
    Oh, thank you for your comments. But I actually want to remove the softmod so I can reset everything to the factory settings and if they do something wrong it won't get bricked or something.

5. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    homebrew channel without an sd card or usb device with the apps can do anything byt itself lol its just a channel empty with nothing to do.

6. PokeAcer

PokeAcer Banned

Banned
    May 28, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Wales
    Why remove the softmod? Ask the buyer if they mind.
    If they do, you simply need to run a system update for 4.3 again - it will stub the cIOSes so that they cannot be used, and any replaced IOSes will be factory reset. Get a BootMii NAND dump before you do this all.

If you're worried about brick, think before you fear.
    You can even remove HBC in the Wii settings, so they'd have to add it..

7. videotube
    OP

videotube Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 18, 2015
    Netherlands
    I noticed none of the apps worked after removing the SD card and USB but what about the cIOS's?

So I can just run a system update without the Wii getting bricked?

8. shinsekaito

shinsekaito Member

Newcomer
    Sep 11, 2015
    United States
    lol I did an update the other day and it didn't delete anything, maybe because I was on 4.3 already, idk.

9. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    cios are just installed you cant acess them without any apps.

10. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    You can delete the Homebrew Channel and any other channels or forwarders you installed. I wouldn't remove cIOSs, though. They're not hurting anything and you shouldn't muck about with the NAND needlessly. They won't even be accessed unless the next user deliberately softmods the Wii again.

11. videotube
    OP

videotube Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 18, 2015
    Netherlands
    Alright, thank you guys! I think I'll just ask him if he want the softmod and if he doesn't I'll remove the channels.

Thanks again.