Remove ctrbootmanager?(lum3ds user)

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by mc-kiler, Jan 21, 2017.

1. mc-kiler
    OP

mc-kiler GBAtemp Regular

Jan 1, 2015
    Finland
    So i recently moved from rxtools to luma3ds, and the ctrbootmanager had a decent bootrate overall, although lately it did not boot as much as one would hope. dont know whether the new luma3ds is the reason, but since i use menuhax with luma3ds i think it should automatically boot to emunand correct? if that is true then i dont need ctrbootmanager anymore so i want to remove it.

so i assume i have to either change or remove something from the sd card but i am not sure what exactly needs to be done.

also, since i have luma3ds once i boot up the 3ds there is no 3 seconds of ctrbootmanager menu anymore (with rxtools it used to show "booting to rxtools in 3 seconds" or something")

Last edited by mc-kiler, Jan 21, 2017
  2. W4T4R1

W4T4R1 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 20, 2014
    Italy
    Since menuhax load the boot.3dsx file from your SD, which for you is ctrbootmanager, just replace it with the corresponding boot.3dsx of Luma3DS. Download the latest release of Luma from HERE, open the .7z file, go into menuhax folder and drop the boot.3dsx file in the root of your SD card

3. mc-kiler
    OP

mc-kiler GBAtemp Regular

Jan 1, 2015
    Finland
    unfortunately it did not work. but i remember i did something with this robinpayload file and i also changed the name for a file renaming it with "auto" i believe. if i remove the robinpayload file the 3ds will not start though

my apologies it has been a while since i installed ctrbootmanager

i also see that in the root there is a file named auto.3dsx

4. W4T4R1

W4T4R1 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 20, 2014
    Italy
    My fault, the Luma wiki also say that you have to copy the content of the "hax" folder (from the .7z archive) onto your sd card. My bad

5. mc-kiler
    OP

mc-kiler GBAtemp Regular

Jan 1, 2015
    Finland
    hmm it still shows the ctr bootmenu. i wish i could fully remember what i did back then to make ctr work

6. Glyptofane

Glyptofane GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 12, 2009
    United States
    A fresh payload should fix it or you could try first backing up your auto.3dsx by renaming it auto.3dsx.bak then rename the boot.3dsx from Luma to auto.3dsx.

7. mc-kiler
    OP

mc-kiler GBAtemp Regular

Jan 1, 2015
    Finland
    do you mean ropbinpayload or something else?

8. mc-kiler
    OP

mc-kiler GBAtemp Regular

Jan 1, 2015
    Finland
  9. Glyptofane

Feb 12, 2009
    United States
    Well, shit. You're probably going to have to either get ctrbootmanager set up the way it originally was or reinstall menuhax from scratch and then replace boot.3dsx with the one from Luma to get back into your emunand. Just be careful not to accidentally update your sysnand in the process.

boot.cfg is also part of ctrbootmanager. Maybe its presence was interfering with being able to load the boot.3dsx from Luma, but I'm not certain. It has been a long time since I messed with this stuff.

Last edited by Glyptofane, Jan 21, 2017
    mc-kiler likes this.
  10. mc-kiler
    OP

mc-kiler GBAtemp Regular

Jan 1, 2015
    Finland
    Thanks for answering. But how do i exatcly reinstall menuhax i am a bit confused?

11. koffieleut

koffieleut GBAtemp Fan

Jan 22, 2009
    Netherlands
    probably at home
    If I'm not mistaken, you are on sysnand 9.2 right?
    Just follow the guide from the tutorial section again, and you should be just OK.
    Or you do the same thing as I did with this problem. I couldn't get Luma to start from menuhax, so I just went ahead and installed A9LH onto my n3ds. It saved me a lot of time instead of tinkering what the problem could be.
    I also changed some things with hxd to get my 3ds started on menuhax, and just wouldn't start all over again with the load times of 30 seconds, and a boot rate of 1 till 3.

Last edited by koffieleut, Jan 22, 2017
  12. Glyptofane

Feb 12, 2009
    United States
    Backup and delete boot.3dsx, auto.3dsx, boot.cfg, and any existing payloads. Download the latest starter kit and extract it to your SD card. Also make sure you have the latest homemenuhax. Then you need to boot into 9.2 sysnand with an internet connection and use either browserhax or another entrypoint if you have one to load The Homebrew Launcher. From there run the installer for homemenuhax and make sure to set it up to boot without pressing a button. After this, follow the instructions for installing Luma3DS with menuhax. Your 3DS should then boot directly into Luma3DS. It's not a bad idea at this point to boot into sysnand once more by holding down a button on boot to remove and null out the internet connections so you can't accidentally update.

Last edited by Glyptofane, Jan 22, 2017
    mc-kiler likes this.
  13. mc-kiler
    OP

mc-kiler GBAtemp Regular

Jan 1, 2015
    Finland
    Does ninjhax still work? I got cubic ninja and 9.2 sysnand

Been a while since i last heard from cubic ninja just wanted to ask to make sure lol