Tutorial  Updated

Remote Play on Unactivated PS4's

This guide is now deprecated due to new and more user friendly methods. Please see X-Project, OrbisMan and SiSTRo's ps4ren for more information.

PSTV & Vita only!

There has been some amount of confusion regarding how to do this, as well as what I consider undeserved FUD, so I decided to create a post with detailed instructions. Follow these directions carefully. As with all console hacking endeavours there is a possibility that things can go wrong and there are no guarantees implied or otherwise that you will not get banned or break something. YOU WILL LOSE SAVES & PROFILE DATA IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A BACKUP. So do create backups first.

This short guide is adapted from the original Russian tutorial found Here. Also, thanks to u/kiru2488 who seems to be the first person to bring attention to it in the english speaking scene, and who I first heard of it through his post Here.

IDU mode WILL begin system updates WITHOUT WARNING or any prompts at all if the PS4 is connected to the internet. Disabling Internet capability is VITAL.
Back-Up your user data, if you can isolate figure out what causes data loss in this process, please contact me via DM or @
Reddit in r/PS4homebrew (u/fuctface)

You will more than likely lose your Save and Profile Data if you haven't yet made backups!
  1. Remove all USB devices from PS4.
  2. Make sure you are able to run payloads via cache mode with network disabled (or use offline method).
  3. Exit to the main menu and select "Profile" -> "Change User".
  4. In the "Name" field, change the name of your user to "User1".

1. Power on the PS4. Go to "Settings" -> "Network" and make sure the "Connect to the Internet" is left unchecked.
  2. Go to your browser (or user guide if applicable) and launch the "HEN" payload.
  3. Go to "Settings" -> "Debug Settings" -> "System" -> "IDU mode", select "On"
  4. Click "OK" to reboot.
  5. Wait until you see "Provide unit with a valid network connection or insert IDU update disc" in the upper right of the screen
  6. Turn controller back on and hold (R1) + (R2) + (L1) + (L2) + (Option) + (UP) until "Staff Mode" is enabled.

1. On your PS4, go to "Settings" -> "Remote Play Connection Settings" and check the box that says "Direct Connection to PS Vita / PS TV System".
  2. Next while still in "Remote Play Connection Settings" choose "Add Device".
  3. On the device you wish to use remote play on (Vita, PSTV, PC) start the Remote Play/PS4 Link application.
  4. On your Vita/PSTV, create a new (direct) connection to the PS4 and enter the pairing code on the Vita/PSTV.
A new user will be created, "User2". Do not delete this user or you will also disable Remote Play for the other profiles.

1. Run "HEN" if "Debug Settings" is unavailable under system settings.
  2. Go to "Settings" -> "Debug Settings" -> "System" -> "IDU mode" and choose "Off" to disable IDU mode.
  3. Click "OK" to reboot.

A Note on PC Remote Play:
I do believe it is possible to get it to work, but you need have both PC and PS4 connected to an access point without internet. A router with the WAN cable unplugged or a similar setup. I have had some success with connecting both PS4 and PC to an ESP8266 flashed with a localhost exploit server. You may also need an older version of the Remote Play application. I don't have anymore time to work on this today but I hope to get it going and I will detail it in a later post.

For those of you who do not have psn on the vita 3.60.
copied from my post at wololo

First install netcheckbypass on vita/pstv
create a psn account on pc

1. set Henkaku DNS (or use vitaupdateblocker)
2. install registryeditor
3. navigate to /config/np1/ and make sure the keys for your email and password blank
4. install uricaller
5. open uricaller and call the uri “psnreg:”
6. if you have HenkakuDNS or Vitaupdateblocker running the app will just work
7. Sign into or Create your PSN Account
Press done and the app will auto-exit and assign your account to the system

On the ps4 as per the Russian site

2. Make sure you are able to run payloads via cache mode with network disabled (or use offline method).
4. In the "Name" field, change the name of your user to "User1"

Keep in mind i lost all my save games. Some people claim they don't lose them however. Make a backup just in case.
5. Power on the PS4. Go to "Settings" -> "Network" and make sure the "Connect to the Internet" is left unchecked. I turned off my internet on the router.
6. Go to your browser (or user guide if applicable) and launch the "HEN" payload.
7. Go to "Settings" -> "Debug Settings" -> "System" -> "IDU mode", select "On"
8. Click "OK" to reboot.
9. Wait until you see "Provide unit with a valid network connection or insert IDU update disc" in the upper right of the screen
10. Turn controller back on and hold (R1) + (R2) + (L1) + (L2) + (Option) + (UP) until "Staff Mode" is enabled.
11. On your PS4, go to "Settings" -> "Remote Play Connection Settings" and check the box that says "Direct Connection to PS Vita / PS TV System".
12. Next while still in "Remote Play Connection Settings" choose "Add Device".
13. On the device you wish to use remote play on (Vita, PSTV, PC) start the Remote Play/PS4 Link application.
14. On your Vita/PSTV, create a new (direct) connection to the PS4 and enter the pairing code on the Vita/PSTV.
15. Run "HEN" if "Debug Settings" is unavailable under system settings.
16. Go to "Settings" -> "Debug Settings" -> "System" -> "IDU mode" and choose "Off" to disable IDU mode.
17. Click "OK" to reboot.

Do not delete USER2

(Original)

Last edited by DayVeeBoi,

Daripa

Trophies
XP
Country
South Africa
For those of you who do not have psn on the vita 3.60.

3. navigate to /config/np1/ and make sure the keys for your email and password blank
4. install uricaller

Keep in mind i lost all my save games. Some people claim they don't lose them however. Make a backup just in case.
5. Power on the PS4. Go to "Settings" -> "Network" and make sure the "Connect to the Internet" is left unchecked. I turned off my internet on the router.
6. Go to your browser (or user guide if applicable) and launch the "HEN" payload.
8. Click "OK" to reboot.
9. Wait until you see "Provide unit with a valid network connection or insert IDU update disc" in the upper right of the screen
10. Turn controller back on and hold (R1) + (R2) + (L1) + (L2) + (Option) + (UP) until "Staff Mode" is enabled.
11. On your PS4, go to "Settings" -> "Remote Play Connection Settings" and check the box that says "Direct Connection to PS Vita / PS TV System".
13. On the device you wish to use remote play on (Vita, PSTV, PC) start the Remote Play/PS4 Link application.
14. On your Vita/PSTV, create a new (direct) connection to the PS4 and enter the pairing code on the Vita/PSTV.
16. Go to "Settings" -> "Debug Settings" -> "System" -> "IDU mode" and choose "Off" to disable IDU mode.

Do not delete USER2

Reactions: DayVeeBoi

DayVeeBoi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

4. install uricaller

8. Click "OK" to reboot.

Do not delete USER2

You want me to wrap this into the first post (with credit, obviously)? Either way, thanks for posting!

Reactions: Daripa

seveth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Yeah that's basically where the original post came from as well, but if you find it helpful often someone else will too. Thanks!
Is there anyway to remote play to my vita with my wifi router? I have tried direct connection but I have a bad experience with it, even though they are very close.

Last edited by seveth,

seveth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
I don't think so, have you tried tweaking the remote play settings though?
Actually I have tried it and it works, the result is much better, you can also play with high fps setting with no trouble. What I've done is when entering IDU mode, I plug Lan cable from my Router without internet connection to my PS4 then enable internet access option on my PS4. Then connect my Vita to this router and start pairing it to PS4 (uncheck the direct connection option). Thats the magic! Now I can remote play anywhere in my house, even in my WC lol.

Last edited by seveth,

DayVeeBoi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@seveth I lost my Vita for a few days so I didn't actually get a chance to test this before today, but it appears that once your consoles are linked you can use it via local infrastructure. I don't believe that you need to follow those steps. I don't really want to go through all the steps from scratch to test this, but I know that I never followed any of those steps but so long as my Vita and PS4 and both connected to the same network they automagically use it.
I never knew this before today because I have never had my PS4 and Vita connected to the same network at the same time (I use an ESP8266 to host the payloads).

*If someone else reading this is about to setup remote play for the first time it would be helpful if you could confirm (or refute) this, as I'm totally not sure that I am right about this. If @seveth method is indeed necessary and someone can confirm this, it would be helpful as I will roll it into the main post. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by DayVeeBoi, , Reason: more details

DayVeeBoi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Heads up: Rumour has it a new method to activate is incoming ;)
Thanks! Yeah I haven't been paying close attention lately so I guess I'm pretty outta the loop but I have been catching hints here and there. I'm pretty interested in the F0F article regarding HDMI-CEC (I haven't had as chance to read it yet). Ever since I learned the HDMI spec includes provisions for ethernet I've been wondering when/if this is leverageable (not specifically regarding PS4).

Reactions: KiiWii

DayVeeBoi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sorry for the utter noobness, but I know nothing about the vita scene. There’s a vita I’m looking to buy that’s on firmware 3.67; would that work as well?
I haven't been keeping totally in the loop with the Vita scene but if I recall correctly there's been some progress with 3.67 and 3.68? As long as it's hackable all of the stuff in this thread will work. The only thing different is there has been a few updates on enabling the Remote Play option on PS4 that is a lot less messy than what is covered here. I will likely update things here when I have time to do so. If you plan to follow this, do not use IDU mode to enable Remote Play on the PS4. Use OrbisMan or Sistro's app (I think they may both be using the same code, maybe).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: +1