Remote Control, Local Network

Discussion in 'Android' started by Rydian, Nov 28, 2012.

Nov 28, 2012

Remote Control, Local Network by Rydian at 3:17 PM (501 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. Rydian
    OP

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Anybody know of a decent free app to remote control a machine over the local network? Things like Teamviewer use a third-party server online, and while they work (I can view and control my PC from my tablet), they need internet access and severely limit the bandwidth available. The bandwidth hit makes some things impossible, and I don't have proper internet here right now.

This is for personal use, and the OS to be controlled will be Windows 7.

The interfaces available are bluetooth, and WiFi... though I've had difficulties making ad-hoc networks between the PC and tablet (shows up on the tablet, but cannot connect), so bluetooth seems to be the reliable thing, at least until I move into a place with a router.

Bonus points if anybody knows of a setup for video streaming as well, so I can watch videos on the tablet without needing to transfer them first... but this isn't exactly important.

2. kingcolex

Member kingcolex Joe "Coop" Cooper

United States
    Splashtop 2 is the only thing i can think of, i havent heard of many bluetooth controllers.

3. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Is your windows 7 one that can host a RDP session? As much as I would never use RDP over the internet as I would VNC (obvious exception for VPN aside) RDP works spectacularly over LAN; it is even getting to the point where video and 3d might be a possibility which when combined with virtual machines doing the same is a potential gamechanger. Granted my experiences as not as broad as I like them to be to make a call in such a situation but most of the VNC stuff I have tested is barely there or token functionality for the stuff that also sits on windows (and is not teamviewer), if you just want a standalone VNC for android or one with token windows functionality there are a few more options you might consider.

As for video did not XBMC get a port complete with a handful of nice streaming/network file sharing protocols; I heard SMB is potentially a bit suspect but the others are not bad and it is not hard to set such things up for windows.

4. Rydian
    OP

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Splashtop has the ability to connect over LAN if both machines have logged on at least once, but it looks like it's only LAN.

No RDP hosting, my personal machine's on Home Premium.

Might have to troubleshoot my ad-hoc issues... or just frikin' move already and get a stable LAN.

5. pokefloote

Member pokefloote GBAtemp Addict

United States
    For video streaming I use FX file explorer with an SMB folder, and after selecting the video, use MX Player to view it.

XBMC for android also works really well for me.

(I think the FX SMB feature is now a paid feature, though) :ph34r: