[Release] Blake Stone For Vita

Discussion in 'PS Vita - Hacking & Homebrew' started by 01y, Aug 12, 2018.

1. 01y
    OP

01y Member

Newcomer
    Aug 11, 2018
    Canada
    bstone-vita

Blake Stone is a fun first person shooter from 1993 that sadly got overshadowed by Doom, which came out the week after its release. It's based on the Wolfenstein engine, but includes many features that would later appear in the Doom engine, such as textured floors and ceilings, interactive map elements such as switches and shootable objects, dimming of distant objects, automap, etc.

BStone is a full-featured port of the original source code. And now it's available on Vita, running smoothly in native resolution widescreen mode.

Available on my Github (search my username, or see my profile on this forum for the link)
    Shareware data included with the first prerelease. More info in the README.md

Last edited by 01y, Sep 25, 2018
  2. 01y
    OP

01y Member

Newcomer
    Aug 11, 2018
    Canada
    New version out today. Big performance improvement over the pre-release version (usually in the 40s). Only caveat is that having music enabled can lead to crashing, so best to disable it in the menu (if anyone can figure out why, I'd be interested in knowing [​IMG] ).

Changelog so far:
    • L is now "use"; -/= in the front
    • Joystick sesitivity adjusted
    • Performance improvement (>20%)
    • HUD no longer drawn over in various circumstances
    • Live Area assets tweaked, -ps shortcut added
    • Heartbeat on by default
    • Elevator button touch location in ui_stretch mode
    • Merge in changes from mainline develop branch up to the current state
    • Initial port to PS Vita

3. Count Duckula

Count Duckula .

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    Thank you for the release, new button mapping feels great and gameplay is really smooth :)

I still like to lower in_mouse_sensitivity to 1, I tried 0.5 but it reset it to 0 and movement speed was too slow. At '1' movement feels right but turning feels a little fast to me, not by much though, it's very playable.
    Tested it on my vita 1000 and 2000, same on both. I think I just prefer lower values than most others...

With v0.1.1 I was having quite frequent crashes in AOG, mostly when changing floors in the elevator. Eventually my save corrupted and started giving https://i.imgur.com/ZQwtDdV.jpg
    The corrupt save is about 54KB vs 23KB for an older working one.
    Will try playing without music and see how I go. Hopefully someone can assist with the issue, blake stone has some great BGM :)

4. 01y
    OP

01y Member

Newcomer
    Aug 11, 2018
    Canada
    Should help! If you encounter any crashes with the music off, and without ever having exited the app with the PS button or gone into sleep mode during the session, let me know. As far as I know, those are the causes of every crash I have observed.

Count Duckula likes this.