[Release] 3DSident

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Joel16, Jul 27, 2016.

?

What version do you use?

Poll closed Apr 10, 2017.
  1. Original

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. GUI

6 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft GBAtemp Addict

Mar 8, 2012
    United States
    To clarify here in case anyone's confused: "RED" is the model line for New 3DS XL. The system model number is RED-001. (Standard New 3DS is KTR.)

Joel16 likes this.
  2. Gaming796

Gaming796 Gaming since 4

Aug 24, 2016
    United States
    Your head
    Also I'll expand RED for you. It stands for "infraRED", the internal codename for the New 3DS XL.

3. Joel16
    OP

Joel16 Ils ne passeront pas

May 8, 2011
    United States
    Doesn't concern you.
    Thanks for 400k!

Sono likes this.
  4. Joel16
    OP

May 8, 2011
    United States
    Doesn't concern you.
    Zense, Madridi, Wolfvak and 5 others like this.
  5. CoolKill3r

CoolKill3r GBAtemp Fan

Oct 12, 2009
    Thanks allot for all the work you put into this.

Joel16 likes this.
  6. Itzumi

Itzumi homebrew does what nintendont

Jun 27, 2018
    United States
    USA
    whats the difference between ips and tn?

7. Ryccardo

Ryccardo and his tropane alkaloids

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Two different technologies commonly considered part of the "LCD" screen family

Generally speaking, IPS has a larger viewing angle (before colors and contrast get significantly altered) and better colors than TN, which has better response time
    (of course, individual variation between batches, different manufacturers, and different design generations are also factors)

Nintendo uses both in 2/3DS consoles (depending on what they stocked the factories with at any given time), and a small number of vocal people make a big fuss if they got the "inferior" one (these people are part of the reason instruction manuals of cars and tech products say "specifications may vary" in their tech figures page)

8. Itzumi

Jun 27, 2018
    United States
    USA
    So it honestly doesn't matter what screen type you have in the long run?

9. Ryccardo

Ryccardo and his tropane alkaloids

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    That's inherently subjective, but Nintendo's actions (using both types) shows that they believe that, in regular use of the 3DS*, they are equivalent

* a completely separate example, but one to illustrate "believe... in regular use of": how many non-homebrew, non-cfw users do typically meddle with their N3DS SD card often enough to complain that it's under 2 screws?

astronautlevel likes this.
  10. migles

migles All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    China
    Earth-chan
    it matters if you care, search in youtube for IPS vs TN, there is a damn huge difference in the image quality

11. astronautlevel

astronautlevel GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Maryland
    There isn't really that much difference in the image quality on the 3DS, both are relatively cheap versions of the screen, and viewing angle isn't a huge deal on the 3DS given that it's a handheld game console.

Also, the 3DSs with TN screens tend to have a longer battery life, so it's really a wash even with the very slightly improved quality of the IPS monitors.

I own both IPS and TN 3DSs and there's really not that big a difference.

12. Itzumi

Jun 27, 2018
    United States
    USA
    My New 2DS has double tn screens. *shrug*

13. DeadOneWalking

DeadOneWalking Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 26, 2018
    United States
    Great app, however on my new 2ds the GUI version does not load up. It just has some colored pixels in the lower left corner of the top screen.
    The only way to get out is to force shut-down the system.

14. SG6000

SG6000 GBAtemp Fan

Nov 2, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Yeah, weirdly enough the regular 3dsx version boots into a crash dump for me. Gonna roll back to an earlier one.

15. Noroxus

Noroxus Margen67 Supporter

Jul 7, 2013
    Germany
    Glorious Nippon
    None of these work for me... They all crash dump upon startup regardless if its 3dsx or cia... gui nor not-gui..

16. SG6000

SG6000 GBAtemp Fan

Nov 2, 2015
    United Kingdom
    I recall the final build or two not working (3dsx versions). Roll back to an earlier one.

Noroxus likes this.
  17. Noroxus

Noroxus Margen67 Supporter

Jul 7, 2013
    Germany
    Glorious Nippon
    7.7 did indeed work. how weird...

SG6000 likes this.
  18. Joel16
    OP

May 8, 2011
    United States
    Doesn't concern you.
    I recommend against rolling back. Do you have CFW installed on your 3ds?

19. Missingphy

Missingphy Pokémon Master, Console Bricker, and more...

Oct 7, 2018
    Mexico
    so im getting into the intermediate homebrew part. can i use this for something interesting like remapping the 3ds buttons? if not, can i do something else that is interesting with this?

20. peteruk

peteruk GBAtemp Addict

Jun 26, 2015
    Zero apologies for bumping this thread....

I recently purchased a New 3DS XL Galaxy Style from the USA, yeah I know they're old but I still love this console and always wanted this design.

Now I ran 3dsident on the console and it tells me that both upper and lower panels are TN which really shocked me because I would swear that the upper screen is IPS becuase it looks that good.

I've also had many, many New 3DS XL's pass through my hands over the years, perhaps 25+ and have seen IPS and TN's many times so my eye is fairly well trained tbh, which is why I am so shocked

I messaged Joel16 and he states that the software is 100% accurate (I have no reason to doubt such a well respected developer nor the software as I've always trusted it) but this upper panel just seems so nice

Cannot get my head around it, but the software clearly states upper and lower TN

Has anybody else every encountered a situation where you believe you have an IPS but the software tells you otherwise ?

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted