Region free yet?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Sliter, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Sliter
    OP

Sliter GBAtemp Addict

Dec 7, 2013
    Brazil
    ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
    hello all o/
    I was wondering if there`s no hack for region free yet? You know, I want some games that don't sell around here :B and I know a lot of people are the same so... XD
    I wonder if there's a way of system hacking, like on wii, or maybe a homebrew for flashcard to bypass? like the bypass fot gamecube or wii had (but got blocked) ?

2. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    You can bypass the region and firmware with a Flashcard.
    But you need your 3DS Firmware on 4.5.0-10
    If you are past this version, you can't use the flashcard at all and can't have region free.

Check the existing Flashcards here.

3. Sliter
    OP

Sliter GBAtemp Addict

Dec 7, 2013
    Brazil
    ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
    Thank you!
    Oh great , my 3DS is updated x-x 6.3.0-12U :B I don't planned to sue flashcard at all and I believed that nintendo would hear the fans lol
    so I nee do wait a flashcart get update here ...
    but how do it work? is homebrew like? or need to be like gateway and play the game there ?

4. RenegadeKid

RenegadeKid GBAtemp Fan

Aug 11, 2013
    France
    You'd better buy a new 3DS on 4.1-4.5.

The hack of the 3DS is based on an exploit only working on firmware 4.1-4.5.
    Unfortunately the exploit has been patched on 5.1.
    That means we need to find a new exploit to hack the 3DS on the latest firmware.

5. RenegadeKid
    This message by RenegadeKid has been removed from public view by Cyan, Dec 8, 2013, Reason: double post.
    Dec 8, 2013
  6. Sliter
    OP

Sliter GBAtemp Addict

Dec 7, 2013
    Brazil
    ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
    hmm .. there are no ways to downgrading? hehe *shot* well if I had to get a New 3DS should be better getting it on the region I want the games, but idk for now :B

7. ginryu

ginryu GBAtemp Regular

Mar 14, 2009
    Mexico
    Well you can downgrade but you need a firmware backup from the same 3ds.

Sliter likes this.
  8. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Your only option as far as circumventing the region lock is concerned is having a 4.5 FW 3DS and a flashcart, preferably the Gateway3DS as it appears to have a strong team behind it, adamant to keep it up-to-date. Those two items are prerequisites, there's no other way of doing it. ;)

Sliter likes this.
  9. Ryft

Ryft GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 21, 2013
    United States
    Illinois
    If you want to try to buy a new one, make sure it has Copyright 2012 Nintendo on the back.

Example: http://i.imgur.com/Z0FuNLL.jpg

This will increase your chances of having 4.1-4.5 Firmware. At least this is true in USA... not sure how it is in other regions. The Red/Black and Blue/Black models are a decent bet. If you do manage to get one with the right firmware, it doesn't matter what region if you get a flash card because they have region-free built into the hack.

Sliter likes this.
  10. Sliter
    OP

Sliter GBAtemp Addict

Dec 7, 2013
    Brazil
    ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
    hmm I got it :v well this is kinda problematic XD but I see is the only way for now ...
    I wonder if is possible something like a homebrew on flashcards for DS games (like R4 dual core) that work on updated 3DS.
    The Homebrew should act as a free loader for a original 3DS card from another region.. like activating the homebrew , switch the card then pressing something and make it "reset"loading the game? :v I don't know if it just a big dream or a possible thing XD

11. gamefan5

gamefan5 Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur

Aug 29, 2010
    Canada
    Somewhere in this Earth
    The surefire way of getting a 3ds xl with 4.5 firm or lower is looking through the serial number. (SW - 4 first numbers)
    If it starts with SW 12xx (or perhaps lower) then it is likely to have 4.5 or lower, if it is factory sealed.
    If it starts with SW 13xx minimum, it'll have a higher firmware.

Sliter likes this.
  12. RenegadeKid

RenegadeKid GBAtemp Fan

Aug 11, 2013
    France
    Well the only way now is to use the Gateway unfortunately.

Sliter likes this.