Region free not working

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Retrievil, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Retrievil
    OP

Retrievil GBAtemp Fan

Jul 6, 2006
    Canada
    Vancouver
    Recently picked up a Gateway card.

I'm running 2.0b1, no emunand installed yet, just using the launcher. I have a couple questions.

I've noticed quite a few of the dumps are EUR only, I guess no US versions have been available to dump. In particular, I'm talking about HarmoKnight and the new Phoenix Wright. US games work fine, but when I try and load a EUR rom, I get nothing. Doesn't show up at all, like as if gateway mode is disabled. Does region free work only when running in emunand?

When you hold down the L button and hit DS profile, in the menu there is Gateway mode and Classic mode. I've just been using Gateway mode. Is classic mode for when you have installed emunand?

Anyone been able to get Rhythm Thief US to work? I see it's listed as compatible, but it just freezes after you enter your name. Have I got a bad file, or is the dump bad?

Thanks for the answers guys. Quite good at Wii hacking but a total noob with 3DS.

2. 19cookies

19cookies GBAtemp Fan

Aug 12, 2013
    England
    HarmoKnight and the new Phoenix Wright can't be played yet :/

Classic mode is to play cartridges :)

3. Retrievil
    OP

Retrievil GBAtemp Fan

Jul 6, 2006
    Canada
    Vancouver
    Thanks man.

Shame, I've been dying to play HarmoKnight.

I'd install emunand and buy it, but I'm a bit apprehensive about going too far with the beta gateway software. What with all the bricks.

4. 19cookies

19cookies GBAtemp Fan

Aug 12, 2013
    England
    No problem :P

5. lambstone

lambstone No. Nyet. 不. Non. Nein.

Banned
    Aug 14, 2011
    It works. Tested on 2.01b1 with 4.40U. You're doing something wrong somewhere or bad dump or bad download or buggy 2.0b1.

6. Retrievil
    OP

Retrievil GBAtemp Fan

Jul 6, 2006
    Canada
    Vancouver
    I doubt I'm doing something wrong. Just writing the image with disk imager like all the other games and they work fine. I must have a bad file, thanks for verifying it works.