Hacking Region Changing with D2CKey

bloodliketheatla

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I finally just opened my Japanese Wii to find out what kind of chip was in it because I want to change the region to NTSC-U. I found out it is a D2CKey.

Before doing this I ran waninkoko's region changer AND updated to 3.2U. The system menu changes perfectly, settings menus works, WiiWare loads in English, etc. The only problem is the Wii won't recognize that a disc is inside while in NTSC-U. It says "unable to read disc" on every disc. I tested this with several discs that I burned as NTSC (patched/signed nothing) that work fine while the Wii's region is Japan. Now, if I run these same games with Gecko they work fine on either region....

So the DC2Key has a region setting, I guess. But I've done a lot of searching and it seems they don't have firmware updates. And I see nothing about setting the region while installing a D2CKey.

Any ideas?

fly_us

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
for chip without soft-update like D2Ckey, u need to resolder some jump in order to change the region. I'm on the same boat and too lazy to take out to resolder... haiz..

littlestevie

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
you need to bridge some or unbridge jp1 on the corner of the D2Ckey, they have 2 jumpers, labeled JP1 and JP2, JP1 is NTSC /u from memory so needs to be bridged but it could be the other way around , just remember what ever JP1 is it needs to be oposite, JP2 should not be bridged as that is PAL

bloodliketheatla

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks, for the help. just closed the damn thing up right before i found out about the jumper. i guess i will open it back up.

what exactly do i have to do to the jumper? what is bridging? according to the installation guide, JP1 and JP2 are both on for Japan. JP1 is on while JP2 is off for USA. So does that mean I will be clipping a wire or soldering? (don't have a soldering iron here and don't want to open it if that's what this requires.)

would it be better to have "No region override" (both jumpers off) ? What's the point of specifying the region if you don't have to....?

bloodliketheatla

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I solved my problem so the topic was a bit pointless. Sorry. Hopefully this can help someone in the future...

I just removed the solder (without an iron or braid...) from the 2 jumpers. Booted the Wii and my Japanese console now works 100% (so far) in USA region.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ