Regarding Updating Gateway

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Sigma305, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Sigma305
    OP

Sigma305 Member

Newcomer
    Feb 19, 2014
    United States
    Hey whats up guys!

Im new here, and Im deeply sorry for any annoyance, but I really needed to ask this, how do I actually upate the gateway? Do I just replace the launcher.dat or would I meed to reinstall the whole process with the bluecard?

I just got a gateway today, and well, Im stuck :|

2. CIH137

CIH137 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 9, 2013
    United States
    If you have installed the blue card with ver 1.2 or up you can just replace the launcher.dat file in the SD card. The blue card is the same for 1.2 up at this point so the exploit does not need to be redone.

3. Sigma305
    OP

Sigma305 Member

Newcomer
    Feb 19, 2014
    United States
    agh thanks so much!! :3

4. Ryft

Ryft GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 21, 2013
    United States
    Illinois
    Extra note... If you use the latest firmware for Gateway, don't run the diagnostic as there is new research showing that it may cause a huge chance of bricking. If you want to be totally safe use an older version.

5. Sigma305
    OP

Sigma305 Member

Newcomer
    Feb 19, 2014
    United States
    any place I could download the older 2.01b?

6. dagro

dagro GBAtemp Regular

Nov 20, 2013
    yes change the url to 2.01b instead of 2.02b

......../GW_BETA_RELEASE_2.0b2.zip
    ......../GW_BETA_RELEASE_2.0b1.zip

Its the first download link on gateways website

7. Sigma305
    OP

Sigma305 Member

Newcomer
    Feb 19, 2014
    United States
    thanks so much! much appreciated :3

8. apachehavok

apachehavok GBAtemp Fan

Jan 17, 2014
    Angola
    So when going from 2.01b to 2.0 final when its released the only thing needed to do is replace the launcher.dat then?

9. salvatore

salvatore GBAtemp Regular

Nov 7, 2013
    Italy
    yes

10. DragonSky

DragonSky GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 27, 2010
    Belgium
    I won't advice to update to a beta. Just wait for 2.0 it is almost here.
    It may just be in a week or two.

11. Ryft

Ryft GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 21, 2013
    United States
    Illinois
    Well I am not 100% sure if the update procedure will be exactly the same since multirom is coming out. It may require something slightly different but they will tell everyone what to do in the readme.

This guide should have tons of information about flashcards, etc.

http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/3DS_hacking_faq

12. Yepi69

Yepi69 Vivid and busy gamer

Nov 29, 2010
    Portugal
    Behind you
    Hello welcome to GBATemp

Just a friendly advice, don't update to 2.0b yet, a lot of Gateway bricking has been going on thanks to that firmware.

13. Huntereb

Huntereb GBAtemp Addict

Sep 1, 2013
    United States
    It's also probably a good idea to wait a little while before updating to the 2.0 Final when it comes out, since Gateway has been reluctant to alert anyone that their code has the potential to brick systems. Wait until someone here can confirm that it is safe, or god forbid, not safe.

14. Reecey

Reecey Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)

Mar 7, 2010
    At Home :)
    You will be fine with 2.0b2 just don't use the Diagnostic check!. I went back down to b1 myself but found issues like some games did not work on my SD Micro Card and had issues with eshop etc.. also no GW3D indicator in settings on the custom firmware I would Just stick with b2 and don't do any diagnostic check. I went back to b2 straight away, b1 seemed very messy to me, you will be OK! :)

15. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    Inb4brick, whilst I myself have found no proof that you can be randomly bricked with b2, I couldn't 100% guarantee it,
    Whilst it does appear that the bricks where down to diagnostics mode it is just a fairly probable theory, I encourage people make up their own mind if they feel confident with the risks, and implore everyone to make a god damn nand backup should the worst happen

16. Sigma305
    OP

Sigma305 Member

Newcomer
    Feb 19, 2014
    United States
    Well, updated or not, there will always be risks, I think if No one runs the diagnostics, EVEN if it may not the cause, it helps. If anything, Im wait because its true, 2.0 is days away and hopefully it fixes alot :3

17. lambstone

lambstone No. Nyet. 不. Non. Nein.

Banned
    Aug 14, 2011
    Yes like what ryu had mentioned in the other thread.

There seems to be a correlation between diagnostics/2.0b2 causing bricks but it does not mean that the cause for bricks has been found.

To put in in a way that some might understand better... It rained hence grass is wet, but just because grass is wet does not mean it rained.

I myself am using 1.2 to be extra sure.