Homebrew Question Regarding SX OS.

scionae

*clicking circles*
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Do you think it will be possible to use the OS without the dongle once it gets released? Or do you think they're not that stupid?
Edit: My question was regarding the DRM in the software. Do you think it will be strong or it will be cracked right away?

I'm thinking about this question a lot in the past few days and I wanted to know your thoughts.
Also, please don't just answer with "no, duh" "no, moron" or stuff like that.

If the post is a duplicate or the question was already answered, please let me know and I'll remove it.

Last edited by scionae,

APartOfMe

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you think it will be possible to use the OS without the dongle once it gets released? Or do you think they're not that stupid?

I'm thinking about this question a lot in the past few days and I wanted to know your thoughts.
Also, please don't just answer with "no, duh" "no, moron" or stuff like that.

If the post is a duplicate or the question was already answered, please let me know and I'll remove it.
yeah. that's why you can buy the os without the dongle

pretend7979

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's a license with sx-os apparently that's required to run it. But the skngle is not required... As I understand it anyway.

asnka

Trophies
XP
Country
Kazakhstan
You can just use the OS if you pay for it. You don't need the dongle if you have other means to push a payload.
TX has DRM on the OS. Your question is kinda vague, so I hope I helped.

scionae

*clicking circles*
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You can just use the OS if you pay for it. You don't need the dongle if you have other means to push a payload.
TX has DRM on the OS. Your question is kinda vague, so I hope I helped.
Yeah my question was regarding the DRM in the software. Do you think it will be strong or it will be cracked right away?

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah it looks pretty nice... However since I have my phone 100% of the times with me is just almost the same as buying TX... And I have a very small OTG cable that is way smaller than the chip that also can go inside my
Switch carrying bag, just need to connect cable to the phone press a button and its almost the same.

But if things don't change soon for my 3.02 Switch to something permanent I might actually buy TX device later or build my self one cheaper as ppl are designing all kinds of dongles already...

Anyway I'm more interested in seeing TX solder offering and I hope it bring some extras to the table, specially in storage...

Last edited by guily6669,

DocKlokMan

Plugin Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The dongle isn’t exclusively for the DRM. They have an option to buy SX OS without the dongle. The dongle serves another purpose.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
From what I understand - and I haven't confirmed it with others, but I'm gifted with the power of critical reading comprehension, so I'm of the opinion, that of course, I've got it right, and of course the ten random people on the net have got it wrong.

Basically TX designed a marketing blunder. Out of greed.

- You need the dongle every time you coldboot (boot from a "turned off state", or reboot) the Switch.
- This isnt going to change any time soon with that "kind of solution" - because - all that TX delivered on the "now with more easy" front was to brick the switch to make it boot into RCM once powered via USB. (Basically this argues, that exploits are very hard to find - so everyone sticks with the one thats there and working - so always dongle after coldboot it is)

- The "buy a software license - SKU is scheduled towards owners of multiple Switches - to maximize profit. (Those 1% of users that own two switches, really keep TX's management up all night wondering...)

and

- Targeted towards users that would prefer a phone, or a pc tether over a dongle (demgraphic is so small - it doesnt exist).

In this sense, it surves TX's PR message, for them to be able to tell people - "look how open we are", while at the same time, no one (+/- 50 people) will go for a wired/pctethered solution over a small battery powered dongle.

So here you have it.

TLDR;

- No, you cant haz what you want. (And then there will be easier way....)
- Yes, advertising is horrible and confusing
- Its all about the extra money off of repeat purchases

- "Its also for the people that use other injection methods" (Android Phones, ...) - is more of a positive PR bluff - people will alway opt for the "easier" dongle.

Last edited by notimp,

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But remember they also must have burned quite a lot of thousands in designing and mass producing their dongle on a factory...

The price is not that bad at all and looks pretty high quality.

I only find the OS alone too overexpensive it shouldnt ever have been more than 10€, but oh well...

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My guess is it will be easier to independently create a homebrew application that launches backups, similar to what the TX OS apparently does, rather than try to crack the TX OS. It's also the better option in the long-run, since Atmosphere is likely going to be a superior CFW.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: wait +1