Pgdollar88

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello all!

I post this in the hardware section because I fear that the real cause of my issues is a problem with the USB-C port used for docking/charging on the Switch. I just purchase this moddable Switch, so that I could do mods and have the best of both worlds with handheld/tv mode. However, now when I try to plug the Switch into either of the two Switch docks I have, the Switch is not recognized by the TV. If it is, it stutters and flickers on and off.

I feel like the Switch is sitting very loosely on the dock(s) - much looser than my non-hacked Switch. Has anyone had any problems with this port/docking being pushed to the TV? I am thinking of taking it to a local repair shop but am a bit nervous since the Switch is modded. Any advice?

Pgdollar88

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
An update. I tried a factory reset. My smart TV recognized the Switch is plugged in and prompts me to change to that input. However, no picture is displayed.

Tested on another dock and TV with the same result. Considering doing a NAND restore since I may send the console back. (Or I might proceed with the repair).

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Considering doing a NAND restore since I may send the console back. (Or I might proceed with the repair).
Don't send it back to Nintendo! They'll send you a patched unit in exchange. In my opinion, it's better to have an only-portable (no TV display) hacked Switch, than a fully working patched one. You should contact a local repair shop instead. Before you do, take note of the serial number in Horizon and on the case, just to make sure they don't swap the motherboard behind your back.

Reactions: Pgdollar88

Pgdollar88

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't send it back to Nintendo! They'll send you a patched unit in exchange. In my opinion, it's better to have an only-portable (no TV display) hacked Switch, than a fully working patched one. You should contact a local repair shop instead. Before you do, take note of the serial number in Horizon and on the case, just to make sure they don't swap the motherboard behind your back.
Thank you for the suggestion! I was talking to a local repair shop, or sending it back to the eBay seller I got it from.

noob question, but what do you mean look up the serial number in Horizon? I have noted the SN from the Switch settings after I reset the console.

Waiting to do a full NAND restore in case I decide to not send it back to the eBay seller.

Last edited by Pgdollar88,

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thank you for the suggestion! I was talking to a local repair shop, or sending it back to the eBay seller I got it from.

noob question, but what do you mean look up the serial number in Horizon? I have noted the SN from the Switch settings after I reset the console.

Waiting to do a full NAND restore in case I decide to not send it back to the eBay seller.
Horizon is the name of the Switch operating system. If you read the S/N in the settings, then you're fine.

Reactions: Pgdollar88

Pgdollar88

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By the description of it "fitting loosely in the dock" it sounds to me like it might be hardware related. Maybe you need a new usb-c port.
I can’t tell if it’s my imagination or not, but it does feel looser than my other Switch. The repair shop thought the usb c port looked decent from the outside, but based on comments here, I suspect it’s that or the PI3USB chip.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: