Hacking Recently got Switch modded and running into some problems

Sanjuaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Hi, I'm amongst those who recently hacked their switch. I hired a local shop to hack my V2 since my skills with microsoldering are poor to say the least. In the beginning everything was great, but soon I started to run into problems related to the creation of save game files. I started to get notifications that I didn't have enough space, which I thought was strange, and when I looked at my storage in the options I realized that within eMMC I only had just over 1gb in internal storage. I know that the Switch only stores save data to the internal storage, so this was a problem. My going theory is the guy who hacked my Switch set a low partition for the "internal storage" within eMMC (since everything in eMMC is only stored on the SD card, right?) I'm not sure.

I tried to search around for a solution, but couldn't really find anything related to my issue, so I tried to find a solution myself. I rebooted and within hekate, I opened the eMMC management menu to look around to see if there was a way see exactly how it was installed. In the end I tried experimenting with the Create eMMC option, and selected SD Partition without knowing that it would immediately start to create a partition. After that I booted eMMC to check the damage and I realized that now all of the games that I had previously downloaded for use in eMMC were replaced with all of the legitimate games that I had for my stock Switch, just with the download icon over each one. In a panic I went back to the creation tool again and selected SD File to see what the difference was, and with a small hope that it would do something to reverse the damage, but everything seems to be the same.

One thing that I'm noticing now is that from my lock screen I can now see the latest news, whereas before after I recently had the Switch hacked I only had the news that I imagine the Switch shipped with. Could someone help educate me on what I did exactly? I imagine that I just overwrote my previous eMMC installation, which means I lost all the games and saves I had before, right? What's up with the news? Why is that being updated now? And why am I now seeing the games that should be only available when I boot my Switch in stock mode?

Attachments

• 1689090738127.jpg
    1689090738127.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 34
  • 1689090738140.jpg
    1689090738140.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 33

Sanjuaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Didn't get any replies here, but that's ok. I ended up finding a solution to my problem, so I'll go through my process here for the benefit of anyone coming in from Google. I went into my SD card and deleted the emuMMC folder, then went into hekate and created a new emuMMC. It seems that the person who did the job for me chose SD Partition and not SD File. I read a bit more into the differences, and understand more how SD File works, but I'm still not super clear on how it differs from SD Partition. What I do know, however, is that after creating a new SD Partition I saw that I was in the same situation before where my internal memory was close to 1gb.

So I ended up deleting the emuMMC folder again, and instead created a new SD File for emuMMC. With this done I saw that my internal memory was reporting as normal. From what I understand this is sort of like an "emulated" internal memory which is read from the SD card, but that doesn't matter to me. I just need it to report something larger to support my saves.

I've read some reports that the SD File option results in slightly slower performance (in load times for example), but honestly I haven't noticed anything like that so far, but on the other hand people say it's much easier to work with to create backups, which is perfect for me.

All in all it's been a good experience and reminds me of when I first hacked my 3DS. I needed to mess up a couple times in order to learn more about how the system works, which for me is fun, albeit a little stressful.

Reactions: bbert

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yay!