Recently got a PSOne

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by djricekcn, Mar 19, 2010.

Mar 19, 2010

Recently got a PSOne by djricekcn at 9:28 PM (1,667 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. djricekcn
    OP

Member djricekcn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    So I recently got a PSOne for my collection and it's a NTSC-U console. I have a bunch of NTSC-J games I would like to run on it but I have no idea how to install a modchip nor have the tools. So I was wondering how reliable are those boot-cd things and if they are good, which ones to get? If you can, please also PM me a link to the site because a lot of the sites have these boot cd's sold out.

thanks

2. Sao Mortel

Member Sao Mortel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    If your talking about the slim version of the console (Which is called PSone) I dont think its really moddable. The boot-cd WILL be hard to find.
    Then to play your games... many options are yours...
    1. PS2 can run PS1 games; Hardmodded more than softmodded but possible on softmodded. Ask here for more infos if you choose that option.
    2. WII can run some PS1 isos.
    3. Modded PSP.
    4. Computer emulator they run very nicely nowadays.

3. blueskies

Member blueskies GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I had a modchip in my slim/small PSone, but have no idea what it was called or where it might be available today. I remember it was tiiiny though, and had 4 wires...

4. djricekcn
    OP

United States
    thanks, if anyone has any info I would appreciate it. I mainly want the PSOne for traveling

I don't mind a chip either and that's probablly alot more reliable.

Also, yes, I got the PSOne and not the PS1.

5. wyndcrosser

Member wyndcrosser GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    PSOne For Traveling YES [ ] No [X]

PSP with PSOne Roms (Popstation) YES [X] No [ ].

Honestly, grab a PSP slim with the popstation. So much easier. All your games can fit on a memory card.

Wynd

6. djricekcn
    OP

United States
    I already have a PSP but some of the games I tried playing doesn't run or doesn't run smoothly (at certain points or the entire game). I just want a PSOne to be able to play NTSC-J games so please keep comments strictly on where I can find means to do so on a PSOne.

If a chip, I would also like to know if they do installation services since I do not have the proper tools nor skills to do so. Also, I forgot to mention that the NTSC-J games are all officially pressed so swap method is not what i'm looking for + that is also not good on the harware itself.

7. wyndcrosser

Member wyndcrosser GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    First, watch your tone. Second, 99% of PSOne titles play on the PSP, with the right setup. Anyway.....

I can sell you a PSOne modchip. But your best bet would be gocybershopping and the swap method, as modchips are hard to find now, or are fake.

Wynd

8. FaSMaN

Newcomer FaSMaN Advanced Member

South Africa
    I highly doubt that any one does them any more, but its so easy to do yourself once you have the physical chip (programmed pic 12F629) and all you need is a soldering iron ($25 max) some solder ($1) and spare lose wire(Free), you can easily do it, what you need to do is ask around at some electronic shops(im not from the "US" so don't know what you've got there, but every one mentions radio shack??) and purchase a pic 12F629 most of these sort of shops allso have a programing service and they will program it for you(at a price) ,then just spend about 30 mins practicing soldering and go for it....

Worst case scenario is that you need to build your own programmer to program a 12F629 but if you google it there's tuns of info on it as we use to program that same chip for the WII consoles [​IMG]

Heres all you need for the above:
    Opa old crow http://www.eurasia.nu/modules.php?name=Dow..._12F629_package (they need to program this to your chip)

PS Im finding it strange that every one seems to be avoiding your question, who cares about what is better at the end of the day you want to do it on a psone
    PS2 LoL at Sao Mortel, not only is it 100% moddible it was modded the most because it was the easyest...

9. Sao Mortel

Member Sao Mortel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    The fact is we are all noobs that don't know anything about anything. We come here to learn stuff and if you can show us some we will be 100% grateful. Goo day [​IMG]

10. gtmtnbiker

Member gtmtnbiker GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The PSX modchips are plentiful at http://eurasia.nu which is where I got mine.

11. Sumea

Member Sumea Disco Ninja Frog

Finland
    PS1 slim?

just youtube a "swap trick"

helps me out very well. CHEAP and EASY to do (cheap as in "free" and easy as in "no soldering shit")

I used that trick with my PS1, european model, even US games showed right if TV supported it. Only Game I did not get to boot was dead or alive. And none of multi disc games. That's about all downsides of it.

12. djricekcn
    OP

United States
    I'm sorry but what tone? I was merely stating what I needed and what I have experienced. 99% of the games might boot on PSP, but not all of those 99% run perfectly either. Some of them slow down a bit or sometimes music doesn't sync and some games hard to play on PSP (like pop'n music).

If it sounded I was coming strong to you, please accept my appology as that was no where near my intentions.

and thanks for the other replies, will look into it tongiht when i get home

as for swap trick, I am not interested in it because 1)I am running officially pressed games (i got majority import games, usa psone) 2)I don't want to shorted the life span of the machine

th

13. Sumea

Member Sumea Disco Ninja Frog

Finland
    That swap trick also works for imports, I am sorry that all videos show only backup - I ran American game with European console with swap trick.

Also, I am not sure about shortening the life much - my PSone was and still continues to work well. It is kinda rough method but works.

14. jinnpan

Member jinnpan GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Don't use swap trick. Yes you can chip the PSone with a multimod chip.
    If you need diagrams of help let me know.
    I have been doing install for the PSX/PSone for years now and made new hi-res install pics.