Re-installing linux and what to do with GRUB

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by pokefloote, Apr 4, 2013.

1. pokefloote
    OP

Member pokefloote GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Okay, so I am installing linux to my USB 3.0 portable hard drive. I've tested it with Xubuntu 12.10 (Installed it to a partition on the portable, with the grub installation on the main hard drive of the computer.) Works good.

Thing is, I want to use Linux Mint 14 (cinnamon) instead of Xubuntu. Can I just format the portable's partition, and install Linux Mint the usual way and overwrite the GRUB loader? Or will I have to uninstall GRUB first to get it to show the changes?

I'm dual-booting it with Windows 7 x64 Professional.

edit:Also, if there's a good grub customizer or any tips for that that would help too. (Like re-arranging the order of OS's, which is default, etc) I'm fine with the basic text view of grub, I know about the "themed" versions of it.
    Nevermind, I found grub-customizer. That was simple enough. :)

2. trumpet-205

Member trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

United States
    When you install a Linux distro, GRUB will be overwritten. So yes, go ahead and install Linux Mint over Xubuntu (delete that portable partition then create it again).

pokefloote likes this.
  3. pokefloote
    OP

United States
    Thank you! Installing Mint now.

Weird, after installing Xubuntu and GRUB, Mint can now see my sda/windows partition. Before it would view it as one big, blank partition so I couldn't install linux directly to my computer's hard drive without getting rid of everything. So I guess I'm going to try making a partition for mint on my main and see if that works out. Better than needing a USB attached all the time, I think.

update: I now have Mint 14 installed on my computer's hard drive. No need for portable installations anymore!
    I needed that clarification though, so thanks again. :)

4. robgraves

Newcomer robgraves Advanced Member

United States
    wow how many linux users are on this forum?

5. pokefloote
    OP

United States
    More than I expected at first, actually. Quite a few screenshots in the "share your desktop" thread are on linux distros.

6. robgraves

Newcomer robgraves Advanced Member

United States
    that's actually pretty cool