RCM loader and CFW updates.

Cali408

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm running my switch on 10.1 FW with atmosphere. The way I boot in to atmosphere is plugging the RCM loader in the switch and using the jig to boot in to atmosphere. How would I go about updating OFW (I'm banned from nintendo), atmosphere and my RCM loader. I added the CFW about 2 years ago and I'm kinda lost when it comes to updating everything. Thanks for the help!

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Download the latest version of Atmosphere and put it onto your SD card. You may want to delete the old atmosphere folder from your SD card before doing so.

Download these signature patches and put them onto your SD card: https://github.com/ITotalJustice/patches/releases/latest

Download the 13.1.0 system update and put the folder onto the root of your SD card.

Enter RCM and load Atmosphere using the latest version of fusee.bin. Load Daybreak from the homebrew launcher and install 13.1.0. Choose the exFAT option even if your SD card is FAT32.

As for your RCM loader, that all depends on which you're using. I'd configure it to load Hekate, keep an up-to-date version of Hekate on the SD card that it will auto-load instead without you having to update the RCM loader, and configure Hekate to load fusee.bin from the SD card (which you will keep up-to-date).

Reactions: Cali408

Cali408

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Lacius Thanks so much! Unfortunately right now I have no time to go about this. Tomorrow I will follow what you have said and let you know how it went. Thanks again!

Cali408

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm about to start the updating process but I have one question still. I should update atmosphere before ofw? If I do that will I still be able to launch in the atmosphere while on the older OFW and also will the homebrew still launch while on the updated atmosphere or should I update homebrew 1st too?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I don't use an emummc, pretty sure. Is that bad? How could I know for sure?
Doesn't matter now, you're already banned.
emuNAND is normally used so that the sysNAND can be kept clean for legit stuff.
It provides some brick protection, since software running on your emuNAND can't touch your sysNAND, that includes malicious NSPs. But with RCM you already have good brick protection anyway as long as you don't lose your NAND backup.
Since you're banned anyway there's no reason for you to use OFW at all, you could run everything including cartridges on emuNAND, and benefit from the brick protection it adds. It costs you about 3 GB of space (the rest of the space it takes up you can install games to) so it might be worth it, but it's not that important. Just have a NAND backup stored somewhere safe if you're running CFW on sysNAND as malicious NSPs/homebrew do exist.
Download the latest version of Atmosphere and put it onto your SD card. You may want to delete the old atmosphere folder from your SD card before doing so.

Download these signature patches and put them onto your SD card: https://github.com/ITotalJustice/patches/releases/latest

Download the 13.1.0 system update and put the folder onto the root of your SD card.

Enter RCM and load Atmosphere using the latest version of fusee.bin. Load Daybreak from the homebrew launcher and install 13.1.0. Choose the exFAT option even if your SD card is FAT32.

As for your RCM loader, that all depends on which you're using. I'd configure it to load Hekate, keep an up-to-date version of Hekate on the SD card that it will auto-load instead without you having to update the RCM loader, and configure Hekate to load fusee.bin from the SD card (which you will keep up-to-date).
I never choose the exFAT option. Nobody should use exFAT on the Switch anyways so it doesn't really matter what you choose.
I'm about to start the updating process but I have one question still. I should update atmosphere before ofw? If I do that will I still be able to launch in the atmosphere while on the older OFW and also will the homebrew still launch while on the updated atmosphere or should I update homebrew 1st too?
If you update the firmware first you probably won't be able to boot CFW until you update that too, but it won't do any harm, still it's best to always update Atmosphere/Hekate/sigpatches first.
If you have any content patches like sysmodules, custom themes or whatever else, you might get a black screen on boot like I did after updating Atmosphere (before I updated the firmware even), if that happens don't panic, just delete SD:\atmosphere\contents and reinstall any sysmodules or any homebrew you have that adds stuff to that folder.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doesn't matter now, you're already banned.
emuNAND is normally used so that the sysNAND can be kept clean for legit stuff.
It provides some brick protection, since software running on your emuNAND can't touch your sysNAND, that includes malicious NSPs. But with RCM you already have good brick protection anyway as long as you don't lose your NAND backup.
Since you're banned anyway there's no reason for you to use OFW at all, you could run everything including cartridges on emuNAND, and benefit from the brick protection it adds. It costs you about 3 GB of space (the rest of the space it takes up you can install games to) so it might be worth it, but it's not that important. Just have a NAND backup stored somewhere safe if you're running CFW on sysNAND as malicious NSPs/homebrew do exist.

I never choose the exFAT option. Nobody should use exFAT on the Switch anyways so it doesn't really matter what you choose.

If you update the firmware first you probably won't be able to boot CFW until you update that too, but it won't do any harm, still it's best to always update Atmosphere/Hekate/sigpatches first.
If you have any content patches like sysmodules, custom themes or whatever else, you might get a black screen on boot like I did after updating Atmosphere (before I updated the firmware even), if that happens don't panic, just delete SD:\atmosphere\contents and reinstall any sysmodules or any homebrew you have that adds stuff to that folder.
Nobody should use an SD card that's formatted as exFAT, but installing exFAT support now can solve future headaches for some people, particularly if they're unwittingly using exFAT.

Cali408

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@The Real Jdbye Thanks for the info. So once I update atmosphere and hekate and I'm still on OFW 10.1 at this point, newest atmosphere will load even though on 10.1? Because after I update the CFW/hekate I still need access to daybreak to update the OFW since im banned. Last question I got then I'm going in. Thanks for all the help from you 2. @Lacius and @The Real Jdbye

Last edited by Cali408,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night