Others raspberry pi 4 wall plug question

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so i was wondering is a raspberry pi 5 able to use a pi 4 wall plug or are they different volt/amp? i ordered a case+fan and a board but no plug (ran out of money) also are any emulators updated for the 5 (lakka retro etc?) and any new emulators are able to be used on the 5 with it's new soc? thanks

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Raspberry Pi4 recommends 5V atleast 3Amp
Raspberry Pi5 recommends 5V atleast 5Amp
My experience with the Pi's, specially with the Pi4, is that they will work quite well even if you are underpowering them.
You may get a low voltage warning though.
And I guess if you push it hard it will become unstable, probably even crash.

But this may only happen if it is providing too much current to the GPIO and USBs... Also, regarding the Pi5, NVME probably uses quite some power, but I doubt you even bought the NVME adapter or want to plug an NVME if you ran out of budget for a power supply.

In summary: I haven't used an RPi5, but according to an "educated guess" I expect that,
  • It will work fine with your RPi4 3Amp power supply.
  • If you push it hard it may become unstable though, in this case your options are:
    • Disconnect USB devices, hats, NVME or any peripheral that may be taking too much power.
    • Get the 5Amp power supply.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so i was wondering is a raspberry pi 5 able to use a pi 4 wall plug or are they different volt/amp? i ordered a case+fan and a board but no plug (ran out of money) also are any emulators updated for the 5 (lakka retro etc?) and any new emulators are able to be used on the 5 with it's new soc? thanks

New charger says 5.1V 5A.

Reactions: BigOnYa

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto