Hacking Random Wiiflow Crashes

Donkey Plonk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi all

Been on the wii scene for absoloutly years. Sold my old wii a year ago and bought a new one recently so sort of got back in to the scene. Used to do hardmods on em back in the day. Now I just go down the softmod route with usb myself and don't do it for others.

Now wiiflow randomly crashes for me. Not a huge deal, but it is just a bit annoying at times, the main times is when it happens when my mrs plays it as she just assumes I have broken the wii, lol. To which I say, benefits vs cons beatch! lol
Anyway, the crashes never happen in game as I would have assumed, the crashes just randomly happen in wiiflow. Normally after clicking play but has done it completely randomly too. Just crashes to a dsi exception, sometimes will reload on its own, sometimes will freeze and need a power cycle to reboot.

My wii is as follows, black wii from around June time, UK PAL model in the UK. 4.3E installed. IOS's are as follows: -
199 - Wanin rev14
222 - Hermes v5.1 base 38
223 - Hermes v5.1 base 57
224 - Hermes v5.1 base 60
236 - Trucha Bugged base 36
249 - Wanin rev21 base 57 (v5918)
250 - Wanin rev21 base 38 (I was thinking old school compatibility)
Wiiflow - 2.2 rc1 r304
Hard Drive - Western Digital My Passport 500Gb (I had a diff hard drive at first but it was freezing a lot so bought the WD and touch wood it seemed fine, mate has same drive, his works exactly the same, and he also gets the same random crashes, I hope it aint the hard drive, don't see how it can be really as its messing up in code and it appears unrelated to hard drive)

Game compatibility is no problem at all, just the random dsi exceptions annoying us.

Now have tried booting all the different editions of wiiflow, however, only the 249 or 250 (wanin's) will boot. None of the installed Hermes cIOS's will launch wiiflow, however I do use 222 to boot Goldeneye which does work fine (going from wiiflow 249).
Both 249 (base 57) and 250 (base 38) crash randomly, no real difference it would appear. Can not test it via 199, but I use that rev14 for triiforce.

Any ideas guys? I'm thinking its just either buggy cIOS code or buggy Wiiflow code and just to wait for a new one? Is there a more stable version that people recommend? For example I know Wanin's rev21 and anything below after 14 won't run nand emulation properly hence why I'm using 199 (rev14) for my triiforce. And of any more stable older versions, will this cause incompatibility with any other certain games? I know black ops needs an ios with base 57 and goldeneye won't run from waninkoko but other than those?

Oh yeah, sorry about the wall of text

And last thing I remember that also randomly happens. Sometimes when launching wiiflow it will bring up the background music but the screen will be scrambled/blank. No buttons are functionable and it needs a hard reboot, but it just sits there playing my music.
Oh yeah, and very lastly, have priiloader installed (only on mine, my mates who has the same issues does not have priiloader), sometimes when it should launch wiiflow it will boot the system menu, totally random, no certain situations where it always happens, just sometimes you'll press wii menu and actually get there rather than back to wiiflow.

bazamuffin

RESIDENT HATER OF POLITICAL POSTING WANKSTAINS
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
I had a v.similar problem with Wiiflow and I have recently bought the same HDD as yourself. This was happening with my old Buffalo and I remember having to format to FAT32, setting the HDD (or partition) to Primary instead of logical and then formatting to WBFS solved the problem (on advice from someone). I've done the same with the new WD HDD and again, problem seems to be solved.

Not saying this is a concrete solution, but it seemed to work for me. Could just be a fluke

Donkey Plonk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Porobu said:
erase wiiflow config folder from root
I'm not calling bullshit or anything, just trying to understand. How would this help?
The thing is I have this exact same setup on a mates wii and his has done it since I first installed it and mine has recently started to do it more, seems to be more inline with me adding background music.

His is basically a virgin wii, ciosx rev20 base58 but also tried 38. Fresh copy of wiiflow although I did copy my ini file for him so the covers directories all pointed to usb rather than sd

Donkey Plonk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
bazamuffin said:
I had a v.similar problem with Wiiflow and I have recently bought the same HDD as yourself. This was happening with my old Buffalo and I remember having to format to FAT32, setting the HDD (or partition) to Primary instead of logical and then formatting to WBFS solved the problem (on advice from someone). I've done the same with the new WD HDD and again, problem seems to be solved.

Not saying this is a concrete solution, but it seemed to work for me. Could just be a fluke
And unfortunately whilst I appreciate the input dude, I do want to keep my hdd as fat32 if I can so it can be used for storage too. The thing is, its not widely mentioned that fat causes crashes which is why I think it should be ok as fat. But saying that, I used to have a wii about a year ago and that was formatted wbfs and I never had the same issues

Porobu

Gbatemps Shiny Latias
Trophies
XP
Country
Donkey Plonk said:
Porobu said:
I'm not calling bullshit or anything, just trying to understand. How would this help?
The thing is I have this exact same setup on a mates wii and his has done it since I first installed it and mine has recently started to do it more, seems to be more inline with me adding background music.

His is basically a virgin wii, ciosx rev20 base58 but also tried 38. Fresh copy of wiiflow although I did copy my ini file for him so the covers directories all pointed to usb rather than sd
Sometimes the config can become corrupt, there are old options because you updated... so sometimes is good to start fresh

Donkey Plonk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Porobu said:
Donkey Plonk said:
Porobu said:

Sometimes the config can become corrupt, there are old options because you updated... so sometimes is good to start fresh
Gave it a go but unfortunately no, made no difference. Also now tried rev20b base 56 and base 57 same issues.
I'm gonna go try an old version of wiiflow someone recommended earlier. 2.1 a2 r92. Lets see how that works out

Donkey Plonk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Well swapped back to 2.1a2 r92 and so far so good. Much more stable, I got no channels access now in wiiflow but its no big deal. Games are all working as they should from a base57 rev20b cios.
And wiiflow has stopped crashing for the moment.

So heres hoping the new final release is free of bugs like this which Wiigotu seemed to say yesterday in irc. Thanks Wiiflow team, always loved this loader, very happy to be using it problem free again

xxbeanxx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There was a bug with wiiflow when syncing a second wiimote. Supposedly there is a new build of r304 on the wiiflow site that fixes it, although I haven't tried it yet.

Search the wiiflow issues site and you will find the bug report about this.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Proxy sites, not very effective.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    if ur on a Chromebook and cant change jack about the laptop that's what I gotta use
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    One of the sites that weren't blocked on the school's network was some file uploading sites. I would upload some games, write down the URL and take it to school one day.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I did it when the teachers werent looking ofc. I even managed to take in a USB stick that wasn't allowed.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    my school has a chrome extension called light speed filter agent and it legit blocks YouTube pfps since the file cdn(I think aka yt3.ggpht.com) is classed as mature
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    mhm
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    they have other stuff like goguardian too
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Ours mainly relied on the router, I believe.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    our school network and chrome policies block stuff too
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    alot of yt to mp3 sites are blocked by light speed for "Security"
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was easy to bypass some of the restrictions, as one of the admins left a registry key in the administrative shares drive, which allowed me to get around the blocking of some sites.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    tf does tta mean
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    yeah this is chrome os
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    cant do shit
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Wdym 'TTA'?
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    that* as in why yt to mp3 sites are blocked for security
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Remember when YouTubetoMP3 was a thing back in the 2010s?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Until YT updated some stuffs and broke the website.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    I was 2 in 2010
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Oh lol
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    This was in the Minecraft-era.
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: a