RAGE AGainst the Machine Hate!

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Austinz, Nov 13, 2008.

Nov 13, 2008

RAGE AGainst the Machine Hate! by Austinz at 2:37 PM (2,099 Views / 0 Likes) 24 replies

1. Austinz
    OP

Member Austinz GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    My mate rekns rage are a band that mainly goughs like, that they sound whiny, and that they are depressing and not upbeat songs, and that all they do is whine . . well . . this world isnt perfect, maybe we need bands that release anger to help others, it probably reduces crime and all, your thoughts?

2. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    I thought they were a positive band, they were a band that stood up and wanted to be counted for what they believed in.

Others just sit at home moaning on a forum.

That's it I'm forming a band to sing about my disgust of DDI.

3. quim69

Member quim69 GBAtemp Fan

Andorra
    they are just a whiny band.

They stood up for nothing - they were on a major label; nothing more than puppets selling music to the angry kids of the early 90's.

You can hardly shout about social justice and then go on to make massive profits for record exec scum (and becoming millionaires yourself - yay for equality .

See U2 for the european version of RATM.

4. Austinz
    OP

Member Austinz GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Sorry man can you please edit your above comment, you see my friend will see this and think his right which sickens me

5. hankchill

Member hankchill I Pwn n00bs.

Canada
    So you don't want your friend to be right?

Hate to say it, but he is [​IMG] RATM is annoying to listen to. Honestly every song I've heard from them sounds like noise with completely garbage lyrics... but that's just me [​IMG]

6. quim69

Andorra
    That's because he IS right.

Try some Crass or Conflict (or even Atari Teenage Riot/old Dead Kennedys) if you want music with a message that didn't sell itself out to a major label.

Whats a gough btw? Goth? I don't know many goffs who listen to RATM - it was mostly grungers and a geggers who listened to them.

7. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    I actually like listening to Killing in the name once in a while... Oh well, if you want to hate them, please do [​IMG]

8. silent sniper

Member silent sniper !dennaB

Canada
    ugh. Rap metal. just ugh.

I hate RATM.

9. jaxxster

Member jaxxster The Heretic

United Kingdom
    wow, didnt realise there was so much hate for them. i actually enjoy them.

10. Slong

Newcomer Slong Member

Australia
    They did indeed, and were (actively) involved in far more political issues than the majority of groups out there.
    As far as music goes you can like or hate it, but they were far from being 'puppets'.

Regardless of their success RATM were trying to bring (important) issues to light.

Even if you don't like their music, at least get informed of what they have been fighting for:
    Political Activism

More active involvement from other groups would impress me but I'm not seeing much of that these days.

11. NeSchn

Member NeSchn GBAPimpdaddy.

United States
    Tell your friend he needs to open up his musical horizons and learn to enjoy great bands such as RATM.

12. teonintyfive

Member teonintyfive GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Greece
    I love RATM, they're just awesome.

And Tom Morello is one of the best guitarists ever.

13. Renegade_R

Member Renegade_R Audio/Video Expert

Canada
    If you want people to agree with you, simply ask the same question but in the opposite sense in /b/ and you'll get the answer you want.

If you want honest answers, you'll get them here.

14. quim69

Andorra
    So what would you call a group of people who sing about change but don't actually do anything to affect that change? Or about a group who sing about inequalities yet become millionaires. Totally socially active!!

Try looking up the anarcho-punk bands who actually did something - the ones out on the streets every night fighting real inequality and bigotry. Not a bunch of poseur-puppets making "the man" ever richer.

15. Banger

Member Banger Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?

United States
    I find a few songs from RATM ok, but in the end I would not be sad with out their music.

If you want music with a real message then listen to Michael Franti & Spearhead.

Yell fire by Michael Franti & Spearhead is an amazing a CD with amazing meaning to the lyrics.

Some lyrics from Michael Franti and Spearhead - Light Up Ya Lighter:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

16. jaxxster

United Kingdom
    meh, controversy sells! If people just used normal lyrics it wouldnt be much but as soon as people are like omg, this band are singing some deep shit everyone goes out thier ways to listen to them.

For example, if eminem just rapped about normal shit like "the hood" and whatever then would he have made half the money he has now? I doubt it.

17. quim69

Andorra
    Exactly - it was all posing; a way to exploit the kids better than the next band.

No different to Marilyn Manson or (as you say) Eminem.

Which is all OK if you realise what you are listening to isn't real and is merely a manufactured image - I like tracks from all 3 of the mentioned bands but take none of them seriously.

Manson especially is a complete tit - but he's made a few danceable pop-rock tracks.

18. SkankyYankee

Member SkankyYankee GBAtemp Advanced Skank

United States
    jaxx and quim check out Infinite and the slim shady EP. Em didn't start with the freaky stuff till Slim LP. I only like Rage because it was the first riot i had ever saw at a concert!

19. quim69

Andorra
    hehe, check out ATR:

20. jaxxster

United Kingdom
    yeah and no wonder why those first 2 eps arent too heard off, cos no freaky shit...no one wants to her plain boring rapping by the guy. Personally tho i think eminem is a genius rapper.