R4i Gold Review

Discussion in 'GBAtemp Reviews & Guides' started by Tux', Jan 9, 2011.

Jan 9, 2011

R4i Gold Review by Tux' at 3:22 AM (6,141 Views / 0 Likes) 25 replies

1. Tux'
    OP

Member Tux' GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Hello everyone and welcome to my review of the R4i Gold! I would like to especially thank Lightake for sending me this review item!

[​IMG]

Introduction

So when I first got the R4i Gold from Lightake, I thought it would just be another R4 knock off, but with the release of Wood for R4i, I was very excited about receiving it. I tested it out, and it was absolutely perfect.

Packaging

The packaging, when I got it, was nice and compact, like all flashcart boxes nowadays, but it was very eye appealing, to say the least.

Some looks at the packaging, wasn't damaged at all during travel!

I was happy that the packaging was hardly damaged during the ride, it always reassures me that nothing in the box should be damaged.

The contents of the box inculded:
    1x MicroSD to USB reader
    1x R4i Gold
    1x Blue wrist strap
    1x Carrying case, which the R4i was held in

Quick peak at the contents

I give the packaging a solid 10/10. It was in perfect condition when arriving at my destination, it had a good strong plastic layer which held everything in it, and as a bonus, it came with a strap and carrying case.

Software

The R4i Gold has two different types of software; The original R4i Kernel, and the Wood R4 kernel. They implemented the Wood R4 kernel into the old one so you can boot into the Wood menu, but the game compatibility is the same between the two kernels.

A picture of the Wood menu on the R4i Gold

When you start the DS/i up, the icon to appear is Alex Rider Storm Breaker

Game Compatibility

I tested some games on the regular R4i Gold, and Wood kernel, and they worked on every game I threw at the software.

Mario vs Donkey Kong: Miniland Mayhem works
    MapleStory DS works
    Tetris Party Deluxe works
    Tales of Innocence works
    Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow works
    Golden Sun Dark Dawn works

I give the game compatibility a 10/10. It worked with everything I threw at it, and it didn't even falter in any parts of the game I tested it in, it is perfect.

Homebrew Compatibility

I did not get the chance to try much homebrew, but the usual SNES emulator, SnemulDS seemed to work, as did GBAExpLoader, and CLIRC.

SneMul DS works
    Lameboy works
    CLIRC Works
    NesDS Works

So far I give the Homebrew Compatibility a 10/10. The usual stuff I test works just perfectly, and I have had no errors.

The software for the most part is good, the R4i Gold even supports SDHC. I tried using my Lexar 4GB SDHC card and it loaded the menus just fine, including the Wood menu. I tried loading endless games, but no games would load for me, but when I used my 2GB SD cards, it worked just fine.

I give the software in total a 9/10. Even though the compatibility worked one hundred percent, the SDHC compatibility was a bit of a downside for me because the R4i gold wouldn't load any games using my SDHC card.

Hardware

The hardware of the R4i Gold is similar to the R4 gold, but has a few differences. One being the color of the sticker, and the other is the red PCB of the cartridge.

Warning: Spoilers inside!

The R4i Gold is very sturdy and holds out very well. The cart does not feel like it has been made cheap, it is very durable. The best part of the hardware is that, unlike the one to one clone of the R4, the R4i Gold does not tend to stick inside the DS slot, unlike the R4 does. Another positive of the R4 is that the micro sd slot is not spring loaded, so there is no problem of the micro sd card flying out after pressing down and flying across the room.

The cart is also nice and flush with the DS slot

I give the hardware a 10/10. Nothing went wrong when using it, or even tossing it around and dropping it on a hard surface or ground. It is the ideal cart to get if you tend to be a bit clumsy, or let little kids play with the cartridge itself.

Conclusion

The R4i Gold is probably the best DS cartridge to buy because it is inexpensive, really good build quality, and it supports Wood. It is such an amazing cartridge, I could probably compare it to the Supercard DSONE, minus a few features, like a real time menu. It is a great flash cart for a person who is new to to DS flashcarts.

Pros
    • Works on DSi V1.4.1
    • Cost efficient
    • SDHC Compatible
    • Wood R4 Supported
    Cons
    • Does not seem to work with my SDHC
    Packaging: 10/10
    Software: 9/10
    Hardware: 10/10

Total: 9.7/10

Once again I would like to thank Lightake for providing me with this review sample!

[​IMG]

2. Pyrmon

Member Pyrmon Burnin' Monkey Love

Canada
    I would suggest doing more tests with a few more games.

3. Vigilante

Member Vigilante TempLurker

Philippines
    how long did it take the package to be delivered to you,I ordered an r4i gold about last december 27 and still I havent received anything

4. Pyrmon

Canada
    It can take 2-3 weeks to arrive. Just wait a little bit more.

5. Nathan Drake

Member Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Antarctica
    I found the review to be kind of short and not all that in depth. More extensive testing for games and homebrew would have been fantastic. What you normally use may not be what everybody else normally uses, so you have to take that into account.

Besides that, you just need to fix some of the spoiler tags.

6. Tux'
    OP

Canada
    yes, yes I know, I am going to to fix the spoiler tags, and I will get more testing done, I am in fact doing some testing right now.

7. Clookster

Banned Clookster Your Clookster

Switzerland
    I ordered a R4iDSN five weeks ago from Lightake and still received nothing. [​IMG]

Are all R4i Gold printed "Revoltition" instead of "Revolution"? At the Lightake page, pictures say "Revolution".

You know, I'd prefer a Revolution rather than a Revoltition.

But I might be wrong.

8. Vigilante

Philippines
    I will try

9. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    you need to increase your testing sample size
    about 20 games and the same goes for homebrew

also you mentioned your couldnt get games to load with SDHC which is a pretty big problem and you only subtracted 1 point for it

10. Sylar1

Member Sylar1 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Try different emulators for homebrew, SNES, NES, Lameboy DS

11. Vigilante

Philippines
    Maybe also test some homebrew games

12. Ryukouki

Member Ryukouki See you later, guys.

United States
    The best tips to avoid all of that: Do all testing beforehand and THEN post the review. It's sometimes bad to leave a review unfinished like that. What I usually run are the problematic games like Golden Sun and like 60 other ones, for about 5 minutes each to see if any problems arise.

13. Tux'
    OP

Canada

Yes, yes I know, sadly I haven't had much time due to my life, and wasn't able to do too much. This past week I have not been able to get on, little own, touch my laptop due to finals coming up, work, and sports. I have had this cartridge for awhile, and have had no time to write out a review for it, that's why I tested so quickly. But I guess I can't make excuses, I am sorry for making such a bad review...

14. Pyrmon

Canada
    It's not bad per say, it's just a little rushed.

15. Ryukouki

Member Ryukouki See you later, guys.

United States
    It's not a bad review at all! don't be so down on yourself! Next time though, just try and add a few more test subjects and be a little more careful with scoring! [​IMG]

16. kiafazool

Member kiafazool GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    OMG THAT IS HILARIOUS [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    i didn't even see that

you have good eyes

im pretty sure others would say REVOLUTION

17. Tux'
    OP

Canada
    Holy shit, he's right, I am looking at the sticker right now and didn't even realize it till now xD

Also I am getting some testing done, just have to move some games to my SD card now.... I'll fix it up in just a second.

And it only seems to be my SDHC card that doesn't work with the R4i Gold, maybe it's just me but others have said it works just fine.

18. Pyrate02

Member Pyrate02 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I ordered a bunch of R4i Gold from Light Take and they all worked fine with Transcend Class 6 Micro SD card, 4gb. I like the quality of them better than the AceKard 2i.

19. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    Perhaps your cart is a fake?

20. Tux'
    OP

Canada
    Well Wood seems to work with it, so I would assume not.