Not open for further replies.

SavageWaffle

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Stop with this please. But i have tried a R4+Cylco. I loved R4 more then a Cyclo.
R4: Cheap(Kinda) Very easy, Drag+Drop
Cylco: Expensive(In the Slot-1 World), not that easy, takes some time when you get it.

Sephi

fool
Trophies
Website
nov.us.to
XP
Country
United States
R4DS and DSTT are very good, and very easy to use.

the R4DS is simple and highly compatible

DSTT is simple and almost as good as r4 in compatibility

Grimalkin

Waaaaaaaah!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Stop with this please. But i have tried a R4+Cylco. I loved R4 more then a Cyclo.
R4: Cheap(Kinda) Very easy, Drag+Drop
Cylco: Expensive(In the Slot-1 World), not that easy, takes some time when you get it.

Expensive? Maybe..

Not that easy? Yeah right, it's even easier to use, and more intuitive. Also, I love the fact that the firmware is loaded into the chip itself; whereas the R4 loads it onto the microSD with the possibility of losing it's effectiveness as the microSD becomes cluttered.

CycloDS = Godzilla
R4 = Mothera

@Sephiroth: This is between an R4 and a CycloDS, not the DSTT.

jensa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
CycloDS is better in my opinion, but more expensive..

Cyclo got automatic DLDI patch which i dont think R4 have, and that awseome that you dont have to patch homebrews!
also CycloDS si the only card that has realtime save right know(i think).
And cycloDS's sypport is like the best according to reviews...

so i think you should buy the CDSE
smile.gif

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cyclo got automatic DLDI patch which i dont think R4 have, and that awseome that you dont have to patch homebrews!
Both have automatic DLDI patching, as do nearly all slot-1 devices.

QUOTEalso CycloDS si the only card that has realtime save right know(i think).
The Supercard DS has it too, as it was the first device to get it in the first place. The CycloDS Evo came second.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cyclo got automatic DLDI patch which i dont think R4 have
The R4 has auto-DLDI patching.

QUOTEalso CycloDS si the only card that has realtime save right know(i think).
Supercard DS One has real-time saving (had it before CycloDS in fact).

EDIT: DanTheManMS you son of a gun.

The R4 had a good couple months of being on top, and still is a solid cart if you already own one, but at this point its pretty outdated.

My order of recommendation (best -> worse):
SCDS1 -> EDGE -> DSTT -> R4

IBNobody

I try to keep myself amused.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have both an R4 and a CycloDS Evo, and I'd rank them pretty equal.

There are things that the R4 does that the Evo doesn't do. (Mainly, it's the backup save option I miss the most.) Plus, the R4's interface, while not as "pretty", is easier to use. The Evo's just a bit too sensitive on the game selection screen. Finally, I often prefer the instant reset of the R4 to the Evo's in-game reset menu.

The Evo DOES let you bypass the menus and go straight to the last played game, though. That's a big plus.

The Evo's SDHC support is nice, but I've found that once you've owned a DS for over a year, you really don't need to carry around that many games with you. 2GB is plenty! (Really, you don't need anything more than 512MB!)

The Evo's real time save is nice, and I would justify spending an extra $30 on it if you thought you'd use it. If you don't like to cheat, don't worry about it.

Honestly, if the Team Cyclops would just add in backup save support and tweak down the damn scrolling sensitivity, they'd have a clear-cut winner in my books.

DarkAura

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Here's my order.

Cyclo --- DSTT --- SCDS1 --- AceKard --- Edge --- M3Real --- R4. R4 just lacks features, and the newer ones have better ones. Although I only have (like own and have tried) the Cyclo, R4 and DSTT, so I can be corrected. But from what I've read and been told, that's the order that I think it should be from best to worst.

silent sniper

!dennaB
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
dude, darkaura, what are you talking about? R4's right up there with cyclo and dstt.
my reccomendations (top to bottom, best to worst):
-R4/Cyclo (R4 is cheaper, Cyclo has more features)
-M3/SCDS1/DSTT
-edge (only down here because my friends got them and they all got defects)
-acekard (god i hate this card)
-Ds fire card, N-card/clones, other crappy cards no one cares about

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
dude, darkaura, what are you talking about? R4's right up there with cyclo and dstt.
-M3/SCDS1/DSTT

Although R4/M3 is a good card, it has no extra features, there are cheaper alternatives that are just as good, no SDHC support, and outdated. It's solely made for playing games, and nothing else. Everything else can do what R4 does, and in fact, does even more. It's still a good choice, but it's harder to find, since Nintendo is busting down R4 factories in China, and some other places in the world.

Also, Acekard RPG isn't THAT bad. It's open sourced, Dual memory, and some other stuff that makes it a good choice for some people. Unless you're talking about the original Acekard....

My recommendation
Cyclo> SCDS1 SDHC> Acekard RPG> EDGE> DSTT > R4/M3 > M3Real> N-cards and clones> DS-X.

Cyclo: Easily the best

SCDS1 SDHC: It has RTS, RTG, and other features that make it a good choice. It's actually cheaper than a R4 in most places, since it's only $35 at DX. Just doesn't have the Slow-mo, and has some minor issues, but still one of the best.

Acekard R.P.G: It's not bad, in fact, lots of people are using this card. You can't just put a card at the bottom, just because YOU don't like it. It has some interesting features, and uses dual memory. It's a good card, and it seems to be built very tough.

DSTT, EDGE: Now. I know some people prefer DSTT over EDGE, since EDGE is a Cyclo clone, but it's not that bad. Although I haven't used it, from the review, it looks very good for the price. Even Urza liked it, and says EDGE is better than DSTT. Faster, and more responsive menu than the DSTT, and everything is actually organized. If the EDGE team fixes some of the functions, like the skinning functions, it'll be even greater.

R4/M3: It used to be legendary, but it's just not really the best of the best or anything anymore. All the stuff were already explained before, and there's no point of saying it again.

M3 REAL- I'm actually very disappointed in the card. It's very slow loading time, has quite a few problems,
and seems to be very thin, thus can break easily. The Gba expansion and the ram seems to be made from poor material, and some people said that it collapsed after they took out a screw on the back.
Another problem is that, there were about 2-4 people who bricked their DSs' due to the M3 Real. The chance of this happening is very low, but still, keep that in mind. I'm sure the G6/M3 team will fix it, just like how they did with their other products, but it can take a long time fix all this.

The rest is not even worth mentioning.

sepinho

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I can only comment on cards that I own, and as you can gather from the replies so far, preferences and suggestions are highly subjective - if not fanboyish at times..
wink.gif

But here's my take on it:

- DSTT: currently my favorite card: polished interface, fast, have yet to encounter a problem with it. I suppose the high demand for the card will translate into a big user base and thus good support from the manufacturer. Updates so far have been quick and frequent.

- R4DS: rock-solid, huge user-base, so you expect support for months to come. Tons of nice skins. Perfect at what it does (games), great homebrew support (which is what I use the card for these days..). But the card itself is basically out-dated: No SDHC, no nifty features like RTS or slow-mo. And it doesn't have a full touch screen GUI, which I find stupid personally.

- F-Card (N-card clone): again, rock-solid. 100 % compatibility with games, perfect download play from what I've heard. I can only confirm that for the games I've tried it, obviously. My fiancee uses this card exclusively, even though I'd offered her to use R4, when I got the DSTT. Personally, I don't understand why (almost) everybody is hating on N-Cards. They're cheap, easy to use and have proven themselves over a pretty long time.

I have to add that I'm going to buy an Acekard RPG as soon as my next paycheck is in. Current Open-Source firmwares have added some awesome features like a plugin-system enabling out-of-the-box emulation and media support.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SCDS1 SDHC: It has RTS, RTG, and other features that make it a good choice. It's actually cheaper than a R4 in most places, since it's only $35 at DX. Just doesn't have the Slow-mo, and has some minor issues, but still one of the best.
Actually it does, though my impression is that most people don't know about it. It's actually an extension of the cheat system, as it comes in a *.scc file you can merge into your current *.scc cheat file to get slow-motion. There are 5 levels of slow-mo, but really anything beyond speed 1 or 2 is unbearably slow even in the fastest games. Since the cheat system is also used by slot-2 Supercards, you can do slow-mo on both the SCDS and the slot-2 Supercard series, which I have to admit is pretty nice.

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada

Actually it does, though my impression is that most people don't know about it. It's actually an extension of the cheat system, as it comes in a *.scc file you can merge into your current *.scc cheat file to get slow-motion. There are 5 levels of slow-mo, but really anything beyond speed 1 or 2 is unbearably slow even in the fastest games. Since the cheat system is also used by slot-2 Supercards, you can do slow-mo on both the SCDS and the slot-2 Supercard series, which I have to admit is pretty nice.

Really? That's something I never noticed...
tongue.gif
Thx for the info DanTheManMS.

Now I'm hoping the SCDS1 SDHC I've ordered arrives faster....

DarkAura

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
dude, darkaura, what are you talking about? R4's right up there with cyclo and dstt.
-M3/SCDS1/DSTT

Uh, no? The R4 lacks features, like no SDHC support, which seems like all the other carts have. And like the R4 team right now is just releasing small updates, like one game at a time. No monumental breakthroughs yet, it's just the the R4 is falling behind in the features card. Like it's cheap, but that's because it just simply doesn't have features that the Cyclo and SCDS1 have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night