Hacking R4 Whitescreening

redundant

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, I am nearly at my wits end here. Yesterday I finally busted out the R4 that was sitting on my shelf to test out Panzer Tactics DS, and miraculously it worked. However, when I tried to load more roms onto the card they would not work, whitescreening a second after loading. I have tried untrimmed and trimmed, both to no degree of success. Finally I got fed up and formatted the card, and now the damn thing wont even boot. It merely says loading and presents me with black screens. I thought it was my microsd, so I tried my spare 1gb kingston and it works with that one, but the 2gb kingston that I am having problems with works fine as an sd card so I do not know what the hell is going on =/. Any help? Thanks again... To clarify both of my cards are made in Japan

redundant

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Are you using the latest firmware v1.11 click the linfox link in my sig if you need it.
Try using the SDFormatter Version 2.0 to format the sd card.

Ok, So I formatted my card with that utility and the R4 does indeed boot up now. It even loads the game, but still white screens whenever the loading is complete. I have never heard of an SD card crapping out like this, it stores and retrieves fine but every time a game is done loading poof...white screen country. Any other suggestions? I am migrating from an M3Lite and have never had a headache such as this
cry.gif

Nero

GBAtemp RPG Maniac
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Are you using the latest firmware v1.11 click the linfox link in my sig if you need it.
Try using the SDFormatter Version 2.0 to format the sd card.

Ok, So I formatted my card with that utility and the R4 does indeed boot up now. It even loads the game, but still white screens whenever the loading is complete. I have never heard of an SD card crapping out like this, it stores and retrieves fine but every time a game is done loading poof...white screen country. Any other suggestions? I am migrating from an M3Lite and have never had a headache such as this
cry.gif

What version Firmware are you using?

~Nero

redundant

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Using newest firmware 1.11. Will do everything but load the game, however every program shows my 2gb as healthy. Games work fine with my 1gb, just thought I would finally be able to cram all the games I wanted into one card =[

Twiffles

танковые победы
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
That happened to me earlier today. I wasn't using the spring and just slipping it in and out. So I took it out, wiped the SD's contacts and put it back in. Used the spring to pop it out, then I pushed it back in. Now it works again.

redundant

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
That happened to me earlier today. I wasn't using the spring and just slipping it in and out. So I took it out, wiped the SD's contacts and put it back in. Used the spring to pop it out, then I pushed it back in. Now it works again.

This is the newer version of the R4 and it lacks the spring. I just took it out and cleaned the contacts with isopropyl and I am still getting white screens after load =[ Never knew you could kill an sd card with light usage T_T

Twiffles

танковые победы
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Yeah, since the new R4s have a weird bottom compared to the older ones. Each contact was separated in the old one, while the new ones aren't. Also, what type is your 2gb card?

redundant

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, since the new R4s have a weird bottom compared to the older ones. Each contact was separated in the old one, while the new ones aren't. Also, what type is your 2gb card?

Its a 2Gb retail Japan Kingston which is supposed to be good =[... Yeah just cleaned the contacts on the R4 itself and no dice, I am pretty sure the SD card took a dive although it works in all other regards. It was just the damndest thing though, one minute I am playing Panzer Tactics, the next minute I load more roms into the card and it hasn't worked ever since. Truly a mystery that even the great Sherlock Holmes could not solve
rofl2.gif

Twiffles

танковые победы
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Seems so. Try using two roms of the same game from different places. Since I know there are a few places that the roms are purposely dumped that way to kill off the mass leechers.

Nero

GBAtemp RPG Maniac
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Its a 2Gb retail Japan Kingston which is supposed to be good =[... Yeah just cleaned the contacts on the R4 itself and no dice, I am pretty sure the SD card took a dive although it works in all other regards. It was just the damndest thing though, one minute I am playing Panzer Tactics, the next minute I load more roms into the card and it hasn't worked ever since. Truly a mystery that even the great Sherlock Holmes could not solve
rofl2.gif

Well.. Are you leaving at least 25MB of space on your MicroSD?

~Nero

redundant

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well.. Are you leaving at least 25MB of space on your MicroSD?

~Nero

I only had about 1.3 gigs of stuff on there, so about 500 megs free. Right now I just have one game (NSMB) and it still cant even load. It is truly Le Sigh...

To further test I swapped out my 1gb JPN kingston in my m3lite with the 2gb JPN kingston I had in the R4... The 2GB works like a champ in the m3, and the 1GB performs well in the R4. I am truly confounded I just do not know where the problem lies lol :-X

baramos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I had a similar problem with one of my 2GB micro SD cards.To fix it i ended up having to format it to FAT32. Not sure how or why it worked but it did, this may not work for you but its worth a shot. Anyways atm i have one card formatted in FAT the other FAT32 and both of them are Kingstons (jpn).

redundant

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Blech I guess the 2gb card that I have is borked then. Some games simply do not work on my m3lite... Bleach whitescreens, Zelda doesnt load, neither does super fruit fall for christ's sake haha. Guess I should exercise my lifetime warranty eh?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv6vlP2qSyo