Hacking R4 stopped working

natanqb

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hi, i have a R4 sdhc gold pro 2016, i was using it on a new 3ds xl and it was working just fine. I decided to sell this console and buy another new 3ds xl. I followed https://3ds.hacks.guide/ using the "all versions" method using the flashcart and the 3DS single system. The hacking worked without trouble, but after that i realized that my r4 wasn't working anymore. It doesn't appear on the home menu anymore, what should i do to fix it to allow me to play DS games?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Seems you did not flash the original firmware/flashrom back to your flashcard. If you followed the guide exactly and did not delete it, you should have your backup ready. Just restore the backup by continuing here: section v - removing ntrboot

To play DS-games you might as well give TWiLight Menu++ a try.

natanqb

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Seems you did not flash the original firmware/flashrom back to your flashcard. If you followed the guide exactly and did not delete it, you should have your backup ready. Just restore the backup by continuing here: section v - removing ntrboot

To play DS-games you might as well give TWiLight Menu++ a try.
Thank you, i followed the guide and it worked. I have one more doubt, on this post https://www.reddit.com/r/3dspiracy/comments/93tkmm/dsimenu_vs_r4i_rts/
the guy says that in order to enable higher clock and L2 cache for better performance on DS games they need to loaded from the R4 not from the 3ds sd card, is that information correct? If its correct, how do i make DSiMenu++ run games from the R4?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
There are two things mixed up over at reddit. It is a little confusing:
  1. The higher clock frequency and L2 cache of the new 3DS mentioned there may lead to better performance in 3DS-games / in CTR-mode (CTR-001 is the first 3DS). New 3DS has a quad-core ARM11 with 804MHz and old 3DS dual-core ARM11 with 268 MHz. 3DS-games run on the ARM11.
  2. When using TWiLight Menu++, the 3DS boots into TWL-mode (TWL-001 is the DSi). Both, the old and new 3DS have an additional 133MHz ARM9 single-core processor, which is (among other things) used for compatibility to DS(i)-games.
    The original DS and DS-lite had a 67MHz ARM9, while the DSi already had 133MHz.
To cut a long story short: ALL models of 2/3DS/DSi can apply the higher 133MHz speed to regular DS-games with TWiLight Menu++ and this may lead to better performance in DS-games.
The higher ARM9 clock feature is not tied to using a Slot-1 card. On the contrary: The settings explicitly mention that the higher CPU clock will not be used if the Slot-1 card is launched with the “reboot” method.

natanqb

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
There are two things mixed up over at reddit. It is a little confusing:
  1. The higher clock frequency and L2 cache of the new 3DS mentioned there may lead to better performance in 3DS-games / in CTR-mode (CTR-001 is the first 3DS). New 3DS has a quad-core ARM11 with 804MHz and old 3DS dual-core ARM11 with 268 MHz. 3DS-games run on the ARM11.
  2. When using TWiLight Menu++, the 3DS boots into TWL-mode (TWL-001 is the DSi). Both, the old and new 3DS have an additional 133MHz ARM9 single-core processor, which is (among other things) used for compatibility to DS(i)-games.
    The original DS and DS-lite had a 67MHz ARM9, while the DSi already had 133MHz.
To cut a long story short: ALL models of 2/3DS/DSi can apply the higher 133MHz speed to regular DS-games with TWiLight Menu++ and this may lead to better performance in DS-games.
The higher ARM9 clock feature is not tied to using a Slot-1 card. On the contrary: The settings explicitly mention that the higher CPU clock will not be used if the Slot-1 card is launched with the “reboot” method.
All right, thank you for clarifying that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over