Pundan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So I got my microSD card today and it was time to try out my newly bought R4DS. I did not buy one of the so called "supported" microSD cards, actually I found that list today, it's a 2GB Transcend card. And since I got the card so cheap I haven't really thought anything about it, I used my friend's discount that he has in the store where I bought it. But I know my friend who ordered the exact things like I did (same microSD card) hasn't had any problems with his card, so I actually think this is a problem on my computers behalf.

Anyway I loaded it up and it worked perfectly. I added some music videos to the card that I had converted, they worked. After a while the whole thing went apeshit on me, Moonshell deleted itself somehow, and everything disappeared. The card froze on the "Loading..." screen and nothing happened. So I thought that maybe I had installed Moonshell incorrectly (I just dragged and dropped the R4 firmware and the Moonshell directly from the ZIP file on the official R4 site). Well anyway, I think it had something to do with those music videos that I put on there, I actually put four more videos on the card and some of them had really long file names but I didn't care to change them and after that it was stuck on Loading.

So I try to load the card in the SD reader that came with the R4. My computer can't seem to find the reader, and it's impossible to safely remove the device in Windows since it's not in the list. So I unplug it and try again, and there it is. But when I try to open it Explorer.exe crashes on me and so it went on and on. I actually reinstalled my USB drivers but nothing solved it. Normally if something like this would've happened I would have been paranoid that the card was the problem, however I've had this kind of problem before with certain USB devices (such as my iPod). Haven't had any errors with the G6L Loader nor my External HDD. I solved the iPod problem by using a program called Anapod instead of Apple's iTunes and it works, however the iPod can't be found in the device list from time to time though. (I've read on many forums that this is a common problem for some XP SP2 users but never really found any soloution).

So anyway, has anyone got the same problems as me, or do you perhaps know any solution to the problem? Right now my brother is trying to connect the SD Reader to his computer and try to format it for me there, and hopefully I'll get it up and running tomorrow, perhaps I will consider buying a better reader for the card.
hate2.gif

mflo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Don't use the USB Reader that came with your R4, It's shit. It'll end up frying your microSD. Atleast thats what most people say. You can order a better one for like $6-$12, Or you can just run out to BestBuy or Wal-mart and see if they have any.

I don't know a solution to your problems, I don't even have an R4 Yet, sorry. But it comes in tomorrow
smile.gif

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The newer reader on the R4 is meant to be quite good quality. My neighbour has one and it looks well built. I have the blue one and haven't had any problems with it. Maybe its the transcend card. Maybe its a fake or poor quality. I had a kingston taiwan card break in the same way. It no longer was detected in any of my SD readers. Maybe you'd be better trying a different card reader though, just incase.

Pundan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I appreciate both comments however I'm determined that the Transcend card isn't the problem as of now. From Wikipedia:

"Transcend Information, Inc., (Transcend) is a global high-technology company with its headquarters in Taipei, Taiwan. Transcend's product portfolio consists of over 2,000 devices including, memory modules, flash memory cards, USB flash drives, MP3 players, portable hard drives, multimedia products, graphics cards and accessories.

Transcend was the first Taiwanese memory module manufacturer to receive ISO 9001 certification and the first company in the world to offer a lifetime warranty on all of its memory modules."

They feel reliable enough, and my product has a lifetime warranty as well. Also it's strange that R4 keeps a list of compatible SD cards, shouldn't all of them be compatible? And on the official R4 compatibility chart of microSD cards (found it through their forums) it says that Transcend cards works, just not Portrait of Ruin however I can play that game through my G6 If I wanted to. Right now I suspect it's the reader that's giving me problems. Mine is the blackish one (a little bit transparent). The first thing that I noticed about that reader was that it was dramatically heating. Not to the point that it would actually do any damage to the card or anything though. I know that the actual R4DS card is working perfectly, so I suspect it has something to do with the reader.

My brother tried the reader in his computer, didn't work. It froze as on my computer so tomorrow we're putting the microSD in the adapter that came with the card and we're going to open up his computer and install his internal multicard reader, hopefully that'll work and I can throw away that sorry excuse the R4 team call a reader
biggrin.gif

Edit:
mflo, Wal-Mart and BestBuy hasn't got any shops in Sweden I'm afraid.
wink2.gif

Katalyst

Johnald Everyperson
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I appreciate both comments however I'm determined that the Transcend card isn't the problem as of now. From Wikipedia:

"Transcend Information, Inc., (Transcend) is a global high-technology company with its headquarters in Taipei, Taiwan. Transcend's product portfolio consists of over 2,000 devices including, memory modules, flash memory cards, USB flash drives, MP3 players, portable hard drives, multimedia products, graphics cards and accessories.

Transcend was the first Taiwanese memory module manufacturer to receive ISO 9001 certification and the first company in the world to offer a lifetime warranty on all of its memory modules."

They feel reliable enough, and my product has a lifetime warranty as well. Also it's strange that R4 keeps a list of compatible SD cards, shouldn't all of them be compatible? And on the official R4 compatibility chart of microSD cards (found it through their forums) it says that Transcend cards works, just not Portrait of Ruin however I can play that game through my G6 If I wanted to. Right now I suspect it's the reader that's giving me problems. Mine is the blackish one (a little bit transparent). The first thing that I noticed about that reader was that it was dramatically heating. Not to the point that it would actually do any damage to the card or anything though. I know that the actual R4DS card is working perfectly, so I suspect it has something to do with the reader.

My brother tried the reader in his computer, didn't work. It froze as on my computer so tomorrow we're putting the microSD in the adapter that came with the card and we're going to open up his computer and install his internal multicard reader, hopefully that'll work and I can throw away that sorry excuse the R4 team call a reader
biggrin.gif

Edit:
mflo, Wal-Mart and BestBuy hasn't got any shops in Sweden I'm afraid.Â
wink2.gif
True. All microSD cards should be compatible, and I'm sure they are. The R4 team never said that a certain one wouldn't work and as far as the compatibility list of which ones do/don't work, that's not maintained by the R4 team, but rather the community. Even on that list though, there's not one that's specified to not work at all. And even if there was, it's a good guide to go by and contribute to, but can you really trust Danald down the street who says Card A and B don't work? ;p So yeah, probably the reader or even the R4 itself is possible.

cory1492

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have various readers here, and the only one that would work properly with 2Gig miniSD cards (in a SD card adapter) was the one that I got with DSLink. The rest caused errors with windows similar to your own, aside from one reader which would only allow me to format the 2gig card to 1gig.

It comes down to your PC and your card reader, especially since larger than 512M microSD has only been around for such a short time..

Btw: I have the supposedly "good quality" microSD reader that is shipping with R4, still haven't got it to run on my PC for more than 1/4 of a file transer. It is crap. If you can get an official brand reader like SanDisk's USB SD card reader, go for it. You will get far better support if you have problems.

Pundan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thanks to both of you for replying. I have to try out that multicard reader later on today. Hopefully that'll make it work, otherwise I don't really know what to do. I guess I can always get a refund on the card, but it would really amaze me if that's the thing that cause errors on my computer. Might even be the computer itself and the way it's setup and all, since I have been having similar errors with one other USB device it might have something to do with the computer.

However I tried updating my USB drivers completely yesterday, I deleted 'em all and re-installed 'em all! Did not work
biggrin.gif

Well, looks like I've got some problem solving to do.

digitalforums

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
i have had a lot of problems with micro and min sd cards through my card reader and the r4 reader, i kept getting write errors or parameters wrong......, my mate took the mini sd away and tried on his pc and nothing was wrong???
maybe a bad driver somewhere

df

unkadean

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@ Pundan - I have a suggestion. Try turning off your computer. Put your card into the card reader and have the reader plugged into your PC. Turn on your PC. If the card is not recognized on the PC by Windows it might be dead. :'(

Pundan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Seems it was the card after all. I can't really understand why it suddenly stopped working just like that. I bought a Multireader, and it couldn't read the SD card. But I also bought a new SD card (SanDisk 1GB, couldn't find a Kingston) and it works just excellent. So I have to get a refund for that card now. Thanks for all your tips though. And beware of the Transcend cards, they might just work fine but the 2GB version didn't really last that long.

Too bad R4 is just too picky. :/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...