Hacking R4 DSHC

Pika_power

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I got an R4 DSHC (WWW.R4I-DSHC.COM) from a friend who recently returned from Thailand. When I got it it had some odd firmware on it. It booted up and displayed an R4 menu, where I could choose to go to games or moonshell at the startup screen. The Games option booted up YSMenu, still with all the R4 paraphernalia. I was happy for the first day, then I tried putting a skin on, not realising anything about it and thinking it was your average R4. Needless to say, nothing worked, and eventually I saw a Youtube video of an R4 and realised that I was supposed to have three options at startup. Thanks to Wikipedia, I found out the microSD face I saw when I booted up was a TTDS thing, so on a whim I wiped the card and installed TTDS firmware using a tutorial here. Surprisingly, it worked without a hitch. I also decided to install YSMenu, which clued me in to my old firmware's true nature. I then installed Moonshell with YSMenu support.

TL;DR R4 DSHC is actually a clone of TTDS with a modified version of YSMenu as firmware and can run normal DSTT firmware fine.

Pika_power

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Not really looking for assistance, as I've got it figured out. Just sharing experiences.

So tell me, does the firmware they're distributing violate the no-YSMenu-distribution rule?

cbromley

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks Pika_power, I just purchased what I though was an R4i-sdhc but was really a R4i-DSHC. Now I'm just using the TTDS 1.17a12sp5 firmware and that's loads better
gbasp.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Spring is in the air. +1