Hacking R4 DS Questions..

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My spring still technically works too, it's just that it's a little flaky and I sometimes have to squeeze the casing a bit to get it to hold. It doesn't do that all the time, but it still happens. I've had mine since about March or April.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IMO it would be better to have an old version R4 with the spring removed. It would then be easier to remove the microSD. It's a tight fit to get your fingernail between the DS and the microSD so you can slide it out and if you have very short fingernails then forget about even trying. Wish they would have kept the top of the shell exactly the same so it had a cutout on both sides for easier access to the microSD but is still better than other cards where you absolutely need to remove the flash cart to get the media out.

cracker, on what do you base this opinion?

Have you actually used the new shell design? The card is NOT difficult to remove, in fact it's so easy that I can pull it out using my fingertip, without needing to get any fingernail involved.

Perhaps you've got experience with an ezflash V. Without making judgement on it's functionality, the hardware is a POS.

So here's a good reason to stop biting your fingernails. It's a nasty habit anyway!

striderx

Yes I have the new R4. Just received it two days ago. I didn't mean that the microSD was always hard to take out -- just that it's hard to take out while still all the way in the DS. So, yes it is easy to take out w/o a fingernail if it is taken out of the DS but I like to pop it in/out real quick so I wish it was a little more easy to access.

While the comment about EZV is neither here nor there I will say that the EZ hardware has always been great just it lacks support of software.
tongue.gif

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

wonkizzle

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.talkvideogames.com
XP
Country
United States
I ordered my R4 from realhotstuff last friday, and got it on tuesday. Got the 2gb sandisk deal, and (never having the springed one before) I rather like this new version. The microSD isnt as hard to get out as you might think. True, you will have to eject the R4. But you dont even really need fingernails to pull it out, just give it some pressure and pull, and it slides right out. And yeah, my C:POR does freeze up, but it happens surprisingly rarely. Once or twice every couple hours. (played it like 4 hours straight at work, only froze up once.)

zeppo

change my avatar!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
props to the sandisk 2g!

I never play castlevania (not a fan of the series), so the sandisk 2g is the best choice for me. The only thing I've ever had problems with is that in some games action replay codes make the game go slower, but I can live with that. I have had the r4 for about 4 months, and have never had a problem with ang game (without cheats). apparently it might load games and stuff a little faster if I had a kingston, but I don't care. I love it just the same.

striderx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you remove the MicroSD easily without taking the R4 out of the DS?

No, not at all. I've tried to take the microSD out of my old shell while still in the DS and. well, I guess I'm no good at it. Over half the time I wind up poppin' the R4 out anyway, so I stopped trying. It's better for my blood pressure!

Yes I have the new R4. Just received it two days ago. I didn't mean that the microSD was always hard to take out -- just that it's hard to take out while still all the way in the DS. So, yes it is easy to take out w/o a fingernail if it is taken out of the DS but I like to pop it in/out real quick so I wish it was a little more easy to access.

While the comment about EZV is neither here nor there I will say that the EZ hardware has always been great just it lacks support of software.
tongue.gif

Yeah, I agree with you on all counts there, cracker. I guess when I handle those little buggers, I'm trying to be careful and deliberate so I don't lose it! So if I have to take the R4 out of the DS to remove the microSD it's not a big deal to me.

Please don't take my comments to imply that anyone's wrong. My message is just that I think the new shell has a perfect fit for the microSD. But at the same time I like the springloaded slot on the old shell too! It's just that its track record isn't great and as a result I do take extra care with it. And that's also the R4 that I keep for myself. My kids are using the new shell version.

QUOTE(dark_aura12 @ Oct 11 2007, 09:55 PM)I just attached a little tab of electrician tape to the end. It sticks out and looks funny, but it works. I just make sure that the tape doesn't touch the contacts or anything.

Another person I think I like.
wink.gif

striderx

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @CameronCataclysm...