R4 Clones???

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by SHRIVES93, Aug 3, 2009.

Aug 3, 2009

R4 Clones??? by SHRIVES93 at 4:19 PM (1,273 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. SHRIVES93
    OP

Newcomer SHRIVES93 Member

United States
    Hey all, I just bought an R4 SDHC in a Black box with R4 in Green lettering from deal extreme. Are these clones? If so whats wrong with them and what can happen to my DS or the Card. I had a Firecard from dealextreme but I think the battery died because it doesn't work anymore thats why I got this one. Can someone help me out? I don't want to keep using it if it can brick my DS or I'll try to scrounge up some cash for a new card. Thanks!

2. rockstar99

Member rockstar99 Hi

Canada
    We dont know if it can brik you ds but clones are risky so you shouldnt take a chance jst get a dstt or an acekard 2 bith are basic carts and are great

3. Plague_Host_Extr

Newcomer Plague_Host_Extr Member

United States
    R4 SDHC's are ALWAYS clones.

4. SHRIVES93
    OP

United States
    So it is a clone? Also what's risky about them? (sorry just curious haha)

5. SHRIVES93
    OP

United States
    oh that answers my question haha. Man! I need something to play on the way to the shore this weekend! now i feel like I'm SOL

6. Depravo

Global Moderator Depravo Jaded curmudgeon

United Kingdom
    There were reports of older clones bricking DS's but this seems to be a thing of the past. The main problem with R4 clones is that they are poor imitations of extremely dated cards. You WILL run into compatibility/reliability/functionality problems while you have an R4 clone but workarounds can usually be found in the form of patches, fixes and alternate firmwares.

7. SHRIVES93
    OP

United States
    yeah there are liek one or two games ive found that didn't work but I was just like ahh whatever I'll live without it. I'm using in 8gb card so I mean its not like I havent got plenty of stuff on here haha.

8. Plague_Host_Extr

United States
    ^^ Not all games work on all flashcarts. What he's saying is they're unreliable, and I can easily atest to this. They destroy (not literally of coarse, but really corrupt) SD cards, they crash and have silly little problems. Right now, my R4i SDHC won't use skins because of the... eh... genericness [​IMG]

9. TrolleyDave

Former Staff TrolleyDave Philosolosophising

United Kingdom
    If you're using an R4 SDHC with an 8 gig card don't fill it up over the 3.5gig mark or your card will definitely corrupt.

10. Plague_Host_Extr

United States
    Sad thing is I'm using a 1gb sd card xD

11. PettingZoo

Member PettingZoo yesss

Australia
    R4 clones corrupt the market and many unsuspecting people who think then that they are the best cart when infact they are horribly outdated and shonky. It really sucks how many people are buying $30 R4 clones which some of them break in a month when they could buy something cheaper and more reliable or the same price.

12. Omega_2

Member Omega_2 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Antarctica
    Well put, friend.

Also, the ttds/dstt seem to have random fuse troubles, coming from basically IRC 'hardware support' I've seen my fair share of people with random game compatability issues, dead cards, and the like. And the first thing out of them is; "I think I should get an r4" (ew, no. just NO.)
    As it still stands in terms of top 3 flashcards[among a smallish community in a certain site thats now dead];
    CycloDS
    SuperCard DS ONE
    AceKard 2

13. theforbidden1

Newcomer theforbidden1 Advanced Member

Portugal
    r4i-sdhc.com products are clones of dstt