R4 cannot be read at the start-up

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by korhan, Mar 1, 2009.

Mar 1, 2009
  1. korhan
    OP

Newcomer korhan Newbie

Hello,

I had a m3 simply a year ago. i used to dont have any problems but it ds couldnt read if i haven't blow in to the cartige and slot-1. my friend had the same situation as like mine. we both changed to r4 (we were happy with the m3simply) but r4 started to the same thing. When i power up the console (after a 4-5 hours since the last play) our console cant read the card until i have to blow in the cardtige and slot-1. No im leaving the console in dust or using in horrible ways. it just suck at open up. i would have thought my ds is the problem but my friend have the same problems too (we have bought the ds's from diffirent locations and diffirent times) there's no way our ds is the problem. are we the only one's having this problem? if not im going to change my card again into acecard or cyclods (or what ever is the best and the problemless one which you will advise)

thanks and sorry for the poor english.

edit : i know about the stuck at "loading" screen. no this is not it. it just cant read at the nintendo ds startup screen

etid 2 : forgot to mention, sometimes when i play the game freezes and cant do anything. after i restart the console the console cant read the cardtige.

2. Eternity`

Member Eternity` GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Never experienced such a problem, but it seem your card is fully working as it freezes at the loading screen. I think it is your micro sd card, did you allready tried formatting it, or tried another sd?

-Eternity`

3. korhan
    OP

Newcomer korhan Newbie

yeah tried with diffirent sd cards too and formatted too. 2 jap kingstons (both 1 gig) and 1 sandisk (2 gig jap i think cant remember exactly it wasnt mine) it has nothing with the sd cards. the problem is r4 and m3's crappy pins behind the cardtige imo.

4. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    Two things you can try.

It's possible that the inside of your DS is dusty and not making a good connection.
    Take a Q-Tip or Cotton Swab (not sure what you might call it, its got lots of names and seems everyone uses a different one) and let one end soak up some rubbing alcohol, put that end into the Slot-1 of your DS and gently wipe it across the contacts.
    Let it dry for ~10 minutes before you use it.
    To be extra paranoid safe, do it before you go to bed and let it dry overnight.

Or you can try the paper trick.
    Cut some thin strips (slightly shorter than the length of the contacts) of paper that will fit the width of the card. CAREFULLY open up your R4DS and put a single small piece of paper under the circuit board -NOT- on the side with the gold contacts and try it in your DS.
    Continue to add 1 sheet at a time until it works reliably but DO NOT put too many sheets.

5. Vomitman57

Newcomer Vomitman57 Newbie

United States
    maybe you should just try getting another r4, since this one looks pretty defective...

And why aren't you using yo ds?
    It has no worth after you can't pirate games?
    jk
    jk
    jk
    jk
    jk
    jk
    jk
    jk
    lol

6. korhan
    OP

Newcomer korhan Newbie

alcohol seems to work. for now.. but if it does again i thing ill stick with the acekart 2 (is it an ok choice?)

7. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    Everyone I know who has one loves it.
    It will probably be my next card when my R4 dies.

8. Eternity`

Member Eternity` GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Yup, Acekard and Cyclo are the way to go, glad to hear you solved the problem.

Have fun with it!

-Eternity`