Status
Not open for further replies.

tommyt

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Earlier in the week, scanlation website -snip- announced it would be removing all scanlated content from its pages due to increasing disapproval from manga publishers. Upon visiting the site — you might have to clear your browser’s cookies first — the notice pictured above appears.

Here’s the relevant portion of the text:

“It pains me to announce that this is the last week of manga reading on -snip- (!!). Manga publishers have recently changed their stance on manga scanlations and made it clear that they no longer approve of it. We have decided to abide by their wishes, and remove all manga content (regardless of licensing status) from the site. The removal of content will happen gradually (so you can at least finish some of the outstanding reading you have), but we expect all content to be gone by early next week (RIP OM July 2010).”

-snip-’s closure is the latest development in a long-running rivalry between publishers and “scanlation aggregators” — sites that are classified by publishers as profit-based ventures that offer manga to their readers for free. Last month, a coalition of publishers — both American and Japanese — was formed to combat the rise of sites such as -snip- and Manga Fox.

While certain sites have resisted the pressure to an extent, the results of the coalition’s labour do appear to be taking effect.

Meanwhile, publishers are making their own strides into the realm of digital distribution, each in their own ways. While Tokyopop have teamed up with digital reading service, Zinio, to make digital copies of their books available for download, Digital Manga Publishing hope, instead, to work with scanlators and help them distribute their work legally.

TheWingless

Wafuu~
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
That quote mentioned the name of another website that hasn't announced it's closure. A certain fox. In fact, I wonder if it's alright to still mention the title website since they still host manga until next week?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I have lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    And I havent watched Brotherhood yet
    It was watchable, not sure what my favorite Anime is hmmm
    Castlevania or Baki probably
    Robotech was good
    DBZ I liked up until Cell after that it got too weird
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My youtube comment got 2k likes achievement unlocked
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, i also watch my hero academia and rewatching dragón ball starting from the og series
    Oh also loved Vanhellsing
    And Vanhellsing abridged lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    GOOD LORD WHAT IS HAPPENING IN THERE?!
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Aurora Borealis?
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I- AURORA BOREALIS? AT THIS TIME OF YEAR, AT THIS TIME OF DAY, IN THIS PART IF THE COUNTRY, LOCALIZED ENTIRELY WITHIN YOUR KITCHEN?
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    jokes aside, anyone else who saw the northern lights tonight, what did you think, i thought they were beautiful for a while, before it went to a vague pink
    maybe later they'll pick up again
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I went out and tried to see, but I'm too south, and its too cloudy, bummer
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    too far south? it goes down to alabama tonight
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sorry about the clouds btw, the sky is clear here rn
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Maybe just too cloudy for me then, Idk
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its neat tho, I seen it years ago when I was visiting Canada.
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    this is my first aurora tbh
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i mean, multiple have happened in my lifetime, but it's always been too cloudy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IT'S LIKE THAT ALMOST EVERY FUCKING METEOR SHOWER TOO
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You need to setup a time lapse camera, be neat
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I actually use a pic of it on my pc desktop cause its cool looking
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I actually use a pic of it on my pc desktop cause its cool looking