Quick question from an interested observer...

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by O3P, Dec 10, 2014.

1. O3P
    OP

O3P Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 10, 2014
    United States
    I'm not a hacker or programmer or engineer of any sort, and I've never bothered with Homebrew or emulation or piracy or modding or anything else like that on my consoles. Mainly because I feel I'd have no idea what I was doing and wouldn't want to risk messing anything up permanently. But I've taken an interest in the Wii U hacking scene for one particular reason, and that's a desire to manage my Wii U save data more freely.

Yes, I'd be lying if I said there wasn't some small interest in being able to download other people's save data from the web, use some software to attach my NNID to it, and get it onto my Wii U, as I have done in the past with my Xbox 360. But primarily I just want to be able to back up my OWN save data so that if my Wii U ever fails and Nintendo ever has to replace it with a new one (as was the case with my Gamecube and original Wii), after they transfer my NNID & purchase history over to the new one and send it back to me, I can restore my save data back onto the new console.

So I'm just asking you folks who are more knowledgeable about this stuff than I am, based on the hacking efforts currently underway, will this be possible any time in the next year? Next few years? Ever?

2. Kargaroc

Kargaroc GBAtemp Regular

Nov 29, 2013
    United States
    Gather a shedload of people and petition Nintendo.

TeamScriptKiddies likes this.
  3. O3P
    OP

O3P Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 10, 2014
    United States
    Oh, they're not gonna change their position on this. The sort of freedom I want is the same freedom that helped to enable modding of the Wii in the first place. Ironic that their solution/reaction to the issue is actually driving me further in the direction of... unauthorized methods.

Kargaroc likes this.
  4. Kargaroc

Kargaroc GBAtemp Regular

Nov 29, 2013
    United States
    Unfortunately it seems the people who are capable of giving us that freedom don't really want to for the same reasons (piracy). Especially post-Geohot when if you try you have a risk of being obliterated by the owner of the platform :(

BTW I really congratulate you, for being one of the few sane people on this forum from the looks of it :)

5. O3P
    OP

O3P Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 10, 2014
    United States
    Me? Sane? That... That's the nicest thing anyone's ever said about me!

Seriously though, you hackers, gimme transferable saves! Now! Or y'know, later, whenever you get around to it.

Do you suppose those with the info might be more likely to release it years from now after a new console comes out and Nintendo isn't supporting the Wii U anymore? Would that be seen as less risky?