quick question about StarFall

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by misticknight, Aug 13, 2008.

Aug 13, 2008
  1. misticknight
    OP

Member misticknight GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    i asked this in the StarFall topic and noone answered so i'm hoping if i make a topic people would answer. i was just wondering, is the only way you can brick the console when installing StarFall features during the installation phase and if all goes well there then you were lucky it didn't get bricked, or can it still be bricked even after you install successfully? and i dont mean by a future update that will brick the console or anything, i mean can it randomly just stop working after a while with this installed? i just wanna know whether to even bother installing or continue using GeckoOS.

2. Rock Raiyu

Member Rock Raiyu Clock Up

United States
    I've had it installed since it came out. My Wii runs perfectly fine.

3. misticknight
    OP

Australia
    true, but i wanna know if it's possible for the Wii to get bricked randomly once this is installed, or if the only way for that to happen is during installation for some reason, or if you update without being careful and stuff it up that way.

4. misticknight
    OP

Australia
    wow is it me or is it the question or what i dont understand. it cant be hat stupid of a question can it? why does noone answer, it's twice now.

5. marcan

Member marcan GBAtemp Regular

Spain
    If Nintendo pushes out an IOS update that turns on installed application verification, then yes, your Wii could be very bricked.

6. misticknight
    OP

Australia
    but isn't that only possible for them to do with an update, in which case i'dve deleted everything beforehand anyways.

7. oligore

Newcomer oligore Member

New Zealand
    Yep, only with an update and it is very unlikely to brick once installed unless it changes it's code for some bizarre reason. I also heard a sure way of bricking your wii is to format it with starfall installed.

8. CambridgeGuy

Member CambridgeGuy GBAtemp Regular

Ireland
    i've used starfall since day one and i've had no problems at all. the whole patching process seems to be very reliable. of course, an update from nintendo *could* cause problems, but all you'd have to do to prevent this is uninstall starfall before attempting an update.

as for formatting your wii causing bricks, i can only imagine that the only aspect of starfall that could affect this is the removal of the health warning screen. you could simply choose not to enable this part of starfall.

on the whole, i would recommend starfall. it's very safe, and can easily be uninstalled if you want to do something that you think might be risky, such as an update or a format.

9. callmebob

Member callmebob The Grandpa of Awe!

Germany
    [​IMG] Huh?! I was under the impression that this was a .dol that had to be relaunched every time you reboot your Wii, if you want to use it.

If it stays installed till you manually uninstall the options you turned on, then I might check it out further. (just for BGM and Health/Warning screen)

10. littlestevie

Member littlestevie GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Thats marcans menuloader...

StarFall is crediars system menu modifier, it modifies it on the nand itself

11. callmebob

Member callmebob The Grandpa of Awe!

Germany
    Aha! Thanks littlestevie! Much more convenient! Just donĀ“t forget to uninstall everything before you update or format! (Oops!)

12. Knocks

Member Knocks GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Starfall is SAFE. It's AWESOME. It's the best thing ever. Stop asking questions and install it already.